Should Vintage Mission go "Mods on"?

A place to talk about our main Rise of Flight server. This server includes our weekly "Sunday Vintage Mission".

Moderator: SYN Exec

Re: Should Vintage Mission go "Mods on"?

Postby SYN_Vander » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:53 pm

Thanks a lot Matthias! Just the feedback we need!
I would also like to try out the AAA gunners mod, lowering traverse speed and increasing shooting angle of the guns.
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Matthias » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:28 pm

Depending on how in depth Syndicate decides to go with mods...

I wonder if via those same files (AAA mod) the m_flak flaming onion could be adjusted so that they not only leave the historically distinctive "green" propellant trails but that they actively shoot up to their historical cieling around 3000-4000 ft?

A gun such as that on a "low" or "normal" AI setting combined with the other adjustments to AAA you describe could add a lot of ambiance and functionality to the current disapointing representation of that weapon in ROF.

Or what about changing up the flak colors so that they match historical descriptions based on the chemical makeup of the charges being used in the shells?
J5_Matthias
Jagdstaffel 5
SYN_Matthias

Postby SYN_Mugue » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:38 pm

I've got very mixxed feelings about this mods on push.
While on the surface the fixes and tweeks are a great idea, and my hats off to those that have put in the work. I'm worried about fracturing what little, RoF MP comunity, is left at this point. I'm afraid that the poll numbers don't really represnt the community at large, only the few that are well "plugged into" the RoF sceen. IMHO, to have the server disappear into "mods on", on it's most popular day, is going to be the kiss of death. As I believe that, a lot of casual(and some not so casual flyers)are not going to want to deal with setting up mods at this point in the sims life.

Remember how it split up the Il2 world?
But at least we got much new content. Planes, maps, textures, server tools...So one can argue that it prolonged Il2 life. Though the comunity never really got behind one set of mods and it never came back together the way it was before mods.

I don't really feel like this crop of mods for RoF really adds anything that significant to justify the risk.

Just needed to get "my 2 cents", off my chest.

We may now proceed in whatever way that ,"The Peoples Popular Front" wishes...(Splitters!) :razz: :wink:
"Billy Pilgrim has come unstuck in time."
SYN_Mugue
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Bandy » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:53 pm

SYN_Matthias wrote:I wonder if via those same files (AAA mod) the m_flak flaming onion could be adjusted so that they not only leave the historically distinctive "green" propellant trails but that they actively shoot up to their historical cieling around 3000-4000 ft?

A gun such as that on a "low" or "normal" AI setting combined with the other adjustments to AAA you describe could add a lot of ambiance and functionality to the current disapointing representation of that weapon in ROF.

Careful what you wish for. The British had POM-POMs of equal calibre and effectiveness to the 'flaming onion', it's just that the Jastas didn't cross the lines to find out about them... :grin:
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Matthias » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:02 pm

SYN_Mugue wrote:We may now proceed in whatever way that ,"The Peoples Popular Front" wishes...(Splitters!) :razz: :wink:

Honestly Comrade, I think either way at this point is akin to playing a round of Russian Routlette. There is only so much you can do and no way to predict everything necessary for a favorable outcome. The trigger's going to get pulled one way or another and when the hammer comes down either multiplayer survives (maybe even enjoys a temporary renewal via mods or ports of BoS tech back to RoF) or else it's going to the graveyard.
J5_Matthias
Jagdstaffel 5
SYN_Matthias

Postby SYN_Bandy » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:18 pm

SYN_Matthias wrote:... and when the hammer comes down either multiplayer survives (maybe even enjoys a temporary renewal via mods or ports of BoS tech back to RoF) or else it's going to the graveyard.

You don't think there are enough players who love WWI combat flight to make it viable, even if we are a small community in the first place? You think it is one way or the other? I hope not...

If I have to play single player I'll keep flying RoF and plan to continue to mod for it in my meager way. I don't think I'm alone, but have no idea how many of us are out there... :???:

Even if the community just comes back together for regular special events to get a WWI fix (once a month too much to ask?) that would be great.
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Mugue » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:05 pm

I'm with you Bandy. It's got a home on my SSD for a long time to come. Forever in fact. (considering how much I spent on it, and it runs great for me. Something I can't really say about BoS yet.)

But I admit that MP is looking grim with many "rats jumping ship".(No offence intended.) I was only trying to make a point regarding keeping what small numbers are left together, that's all.

That said, it ain't all bad. Just finished playing RoF on our server, a Monday, and we might have had over 20 people in there at some points. Still good fun IMHO, and it works.
Alpha's and Beta's are good to dream about, but they just don't cut it with the functionality.

Anyway, I'm not trying to frame this discussion in an "either/or" kind of way. We obviously can do whatever we wish.
"Billy Pilgrim has come unstuck in time."
SYN_Mugue
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Matthias » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:30 pm

Honestly, I hope you're right Bandy - that there IS that core community of WW1 aficionados to keep the game alive in multiplayer. I just don't know, there has been such a drop off in interest lately and I know BOS is in beta and everything but I'm not hearing that those servers are wildly populated either. Seems like people are just drifting away entirely.

But I am with you Mugue , ROF is not coming off my hard drive anytime soon. Even if it's just myself and a handful of J5 pilots getting together as we always do to practice on Saturdays or Syn VMs on Sundays... I'll continue to fly it.

Also a present for Syndicate in case you decide to go mods on for VMs:
http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 27#p600927
Last edited by SYN_Matthias on Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
J5_Matthias
Jagdstaffel 5
SYN_Matthias

Postby SYN_DerHesse70 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:53 am

I vote with no because i'm afraid that the community will lose additional players with mods on.

Frustrating enough that there are so few players online. I'm a MP only guy and it piss me off that there are so few players left.

Every sunday that i have 2 hours time i look at the ROF online server site. And there is nothing. 10 to 20 players on aces and 10 to 20 on syndicate. Last sunday i saw at least 55 players on syndicate but i had no time. :sad:

Sunday is a bad day for me to fly. It is family time. If i got 2 hours it's to short for a big map with 10 to 20 players including arrange the HOTAS and other equipment. But if i have some more time i will join in.
"Es ist noch kein Meister vom Himmel gefallen!"
SYN_DerHesse70
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Postby SYN_Matthias » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:15 am

SYN_Bandy wrote:
SYN_Matthias wrote:I wonder if via those same files (AAA mod) the m_flak flaming onion could be adjusted so that they not only leave the historically distinctive "green" propellant trails but that they actively shoot up to their historical cieling around 3000-4000 ft?

Careful what you wish for. The British had POM-POMs of equal calibre and effectiveness to the 'flaming onion', it's just that the Jastas didn't cross the lines to find out about them... :grin:

Honestly, bring em on. I take great pride in figuring out how to give Syndicate AAA the slip. The disappointed frowns on the gun crews as I fly safely away make the burning objects and craters left in my wake all the more satisfying. :grin:
J5_Matthias
Jagdstaffel 5
SYN_Matthias

Previous

Return to SYNDICATE Server: Rise of Flight