New multiplayer mission type!

A place to talk about our main Rise of Flight server. This server includes our weekly "Sunday Vintage Mission".

Moderator: SYN Exec

New multiplayer mission type!

Postby SYN_Vander » Sat May 30, 2015 1:52 pm

Read it here:

http://riseofflight.com/forum/topic/166 ... ntry637047

So this is actually for BoS, because it will be better suited to a WW2 / Blitzkrieg environment, but I want to test this in RoF first.

skirmish.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Re: New multiplayer mission type!

Postby SYN_Bandy » Sat May 30, 2015 2:09 pm

Well SYN server was up last night, but must have encountered the master server problem when you put in the new mission and re-started?

Might it be run as mods-on? Or would that still have the same master-server issue... I suppose it would, just trying to think outside the box. :roll:
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Bandy » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:21 am

We played the 'blitzkrieg' mission for almost an hour before you came along Vander. It was pretty intense action, the flags were changing very quickly (too quickly?) and unless you were checking the map often for these updates, hard to tell where you were required, though we were getting the hang of it by the end.

It is very hard to tell how large the air-zone is that you need to stay within. If there was some in-game notification of when you were in it, or flying out of it (like arty spotting message. "the guns will now fire"), that would help though not sure if you want to do this or if it is even possible for multiple players. For BoS this is going to be even harder to tell since the aircraft speed and altitude differences, the zone will have to be quite large I would think.

At times we saw two flag areas with rotating symbols at the same time, I assume indicating that they were in-flux or the process of being up for grabs. Over which of the two zones were we supposed to occupy the air?

If the Germans penetrate and capture one of our flags, can we capture one of the German flags 'up the chain' of their most recent capture, in effect leap-frogging their most recent capture and cutting it off?

I had read your RoF thread and yes, even the mission brief, and we were still a little confused about what was required to capture a flag re: ground targets etc. In the beginning a few of us loaded up with bombs on our SE5's and took out the tanks & trucks that we could see at each military installation at the 'flag', but afterwards was unsure if we needed to because it didn't seem to make any difference. The Germans were not doing it and had captured several flags.

If you do implement ground targets as part of the capture, small targets like trucks, tanks, are going to be impossible to hit from altitude, and if attacking at tree top (as I did in your RoF test) the AAA and AAMG chewed me up each time. :cry:

And perhaps as expected, people were bitterly complaining about getting lost without the mud. Even I got disoriented (for good reason), but got straightened out in about 5-10 mins.

Overall it was fun, but beware of getting too complex too early. Perhaps once people get familiar with the concept (and can assist those newcomers) you can add layers of detail like supply columns to the captured flag, etc. I don't know, maybe that would work right away, give it a try...
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Vander » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:15 pm

SYN_Bandy wrote:We played the 'blitzkrieg' mission for almost an hour before you came along Vander. It was pretty intense action, the flags were changing very quickly (too quickly?) and unless you were checking the map often for these updates, hard to tell where you were required, though we were getting the hang of it by the end.

It is very hard to tell how large the air-zone is that you need to stay within. If there was some in-game notification of when you were in it, or flying out of it (like arty spotting message. "the guns will now fire"), that would help though not sure if you want to do this or if it is even possible for multiple players. For BoS this is going to be even harder to tell since the aircraft speed and altitude differences, the zone will have to be quite large I would think.

At times we saw two flag areas with rotating symbols at the same time, I assume indicating that they were in-flux or the process of being up for grabs. Over which of the two zones were we supposed to occupy the air?

If the Germans penetrate and capture one of our flags, can we capture one of the German flags 'up the chain' of their most recent capture, in effect leap-frogging their most recent capture and cutting it off?

I had read your RoF thread and yes, even the mission brief, and we were still a little confused about what was required to capture a flag re: ground targets etc. In the beginning a few of us loaded up with bombs on our SE5's and took out the tanks & trucks that we could see at each military installation at the 'flag', but afterwards was unsure if we needed to because it didn't seem to make any difference. The Germans were not doing it and had captured several flags.

If you do implement ground targets as part of the capture, small targets like trucks, tanks, are going to be impossible to hit from altitude, and if attacking at tree top (as I did in your RoF test) the AAA and AAMG chewed me up each time. :cry:

And perhaps as expected, people were bitterly complaining about getting lost without the mud. Even I got disoriented (for good reason), but got straightened out in about 5-10 mins.

Overall it was fun, but beware of getting too complex too early. Perhaps once people get familiar with the concept (and can assist those newcomers) you can add layers of detail like supply columns to the captured flag, etc. I don't know, maybe that would work right away, give it a try...

Thanks for the feedback Bandy!
Below are answers/reactions to your observations. It is clear that people need to "learn" the CTF game logic. But you are probably right that it will not work for BoS, because of speeds. Since CTF isn't supported there anyway, I guess we will have to change the logic to " Destroy (all) enemy ground forces in order to capture a control point" . Then we may even add an extra airfield halfway through the chain...

the flags were changing very quickly

Yes, the time to capture a flag can be reduced. It was set to 2x to test more quickly.

It is very hard to tell how large the air-zone is that you need to stay within. If there was some in-game notification of when you were in it...

There is actually an indicator in your top right corner of your screen: A little flag (flashing red initially) will show you that you are within an influence area. I guess people will have to be told this as CTF is so unknown.

At times we saw two flag areas with rotating symbols at the same time...

Rotating symbols mean a capture is in progress. What to do is up to the player. Obviously, the one closest to you is being captured by the enemy, while the one further away is being captured by friendlies.

can we capture one of the German flags 'up the chain' of their most recent capture,

No, as per briefing only the two opposing (enemy/friendly) points can be captured. Not sure how else to implement this logic.

we were still a little confused about what was required to capture a flag re: ground targets etc.

I think you missed the two MG's that were also sitting there. Even then, with more than 2 planes you would have been able to capture the area.

the AAA and AAMG chewed me up each time

Focus on the AAA first :) Maybe it will be better to leave out the AAA gun, although the MG's hit me more often!

people were bitterly complaining about getting lost without the mud.

Exactly why I turned on "navigation icons" in the .sds file. However, I added this mission once to the VM rotation so navigation icons are turned off by default.

like supply columns to the captured flag, etc.

That's happening already, but they spawn pretty close.. :)
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Bandy » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:11 pm

SYN_Vander wrote:
...like supply columns to the captured flag, etc.

That's happening already, but they spawn pretty close.. :)

Never saw them, and didn't see anyone attacking them that I was aware of.

Was there an announcement that supply columns would set off after the flag was captured? If it happens at the same time as the capture message itself, then perhaps delay the column and the message so it is more easily noticed.

What are the consequences of destroying the supply column, a shortened time for the enemy to recapture the flag?

It has real potential to make an interesting mission, as long as a few people/squads on each side know what is going on and play it according to the objectives. Otherwise it will just be a circus over the flag each time.
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Return to SYNDICATE Server: Rise of Flight