Group files for mission editing

Vintage missions, tdm and mission editor discussion

Moderator: SYN Exec

Group files for mission editing

Postby SYN_Vander » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:02 pm

Here is a first collection. I'm not done yet, but it's a start.

Eventually we need to sort this by theme (AI flights, vehicle columns, AAA etc.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Re: Group files for mission editing

Postby SYN_Requiem » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:56 pm

Thanks Vander, I'll download/organise them by category and post my own examples of how I've set some up to help people digest them easier when I get home tonight.
SYN_Requiem

Postby SYN_Haashashin » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:12 pm

As Vander allready know I normally use his groups and then change them a little to fit what I want to do but not touching the logic at all and sometimes just using his groups makes the trick, as my experiments not allways end up right :grin: .
I did wrote some groups but those are just very basic ones from when I was learning to understand the ME. I will keep an eye on those that are release and if I have something I will post it.
So even if Im not capable at all of writing complex groups I know how they work so I can help with explaining to people that. Also explaining the basics and how to make all the groups work properly together. I even can fix some bugs from time to time, others I need help from Vander.
I allways say it, I know how to use the editor, but I suck at writing logic/code or whatever you want to name it :lol:
SYN_Haashashin
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Requiem » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:44 am

Vander,
I've been having a look through them and can follow them with the exception of the "recon objectives MP" group. I have a few questions about it because it's done very differently to how I have done mine in Co-Ops. I hope these questions aren't annoying to answer as I'm not sure if I answer them myself as I type out the question...

1) You use "photoreconex.gfx" for the flash with 12 different flash actions, but in my photorecon group I use "photorecon.gfx" with just 1 flash action. What's the difference between those two types of media? My photorecon icon only appears when the enters the recon area... Is this the case for this group or is the icon on the entire time?

2) On that note, I see that "photoreconex.gfx" is active once a recon spawns, so how is the icon isolated for only recon aircraft to see? (Assuming this next part) Is this because each photoreconex.gfx flash action corresponds to each possible recon aircraft for the mission (6 per side, 12 total)? If so, how are these flash actions linked to a recon aircraft or recon area?

3) It looks as if things that would make this group functional are absent. Are there things like TL, OL, or an Entity airfield with appropriately named Recons missing? I don't really follow how those assigned recon areas are supposed to be active and different from anywhere else on the map. I see only icons and vehicles (with a naming convention I also don't understand) within these recon areas, so how does the mission know a recon aircraft is in that particular area? I think it might be linked to the naming of these vehicles, but I can't see how these vehicles are linked within the mission.

4) Related to question 3) I guess, but how does the mission 'know' if the recon took the photos in an assigned area?

5) What is the purpose of the "helper" group. I know what those media MCUs are pointing to (the .dds files used in photorecon), but I don't understand the purpose of their placement as they are not connected to the mission in any way I can see.

Again, sorry for these type of questions Vander but this is the only one I'm having trouble wrapping my head around after doing my own photorecon group differently through Co-Op mode. I hope I was clear in my line of questioning, but if a response needs a few minutes on TS I understand.
SYN_Requiem

Postby SYN_Vander » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:14 am

SYN_Requiem wrote:Vander,
I've been having a look through them and can follow them with the exception of the "recon objectives MP" group. I have a few questions about it because it's done very differently to how I have done mine in Co-Ops. I hope these questions aren't annoying to answer as I'm not sure if I answer them myself as I type out the question...

1) You use "photoreconex.gfx" for the flash with 12 different flash actions, but in my photorecon group I use "photorecon.gfx" with just 1 flash action. What's the difference between those two types of media? My photorecon icon only appears when the enters the recon area... Is this the case for this group or is the icon on the entire time?

This one is using Ankor's special gfx. It has indeed 12 outlets. to use it, you need to have the proper gfx files installed (will upload later).
SYN_Requiem wrote:2) On that note, I see that "photoreconex.gfx" is active once a recon spawns, so how is the icon isolated for only recon aircraft to see? (Assuming this next part) Is this because each photoreconex.gfx flash action corresponds to each possible recon aircraft for the mission (6 per side, 12 total)? If so, how are these flash actions linked to a recon aircraft or recon area?

Ankor made it so that the icon will only be shown to aircraft with a camera loadout (Or even only the player? but I'm not sure).
SYN_Requiem wrote:3) It looks as if things that would make this group functional are absent. Are there things like TL, OL, or an Entity airfield with appropriately named Recons missing? I don't really follow how those assigned recon areas are supposed to be active and different from anywhere else on the map. I see only icons and vehicles (with a naming convention I also don't understand) within these recon areas, so how does the mission know a recon aircraft is in that particular area? I think it might be linked to the naming of these vehicles, but I can't see how these vehicles are linked within the mission.

Yes, again, this is Ankor's special magic. If the gfx is running for that player then it will automatically check the proximity to any vehicle that uses a special naming convention. That's when the actual camera button icon gets displayed.
SYN_Requiem wrote:4) Related to question 3) I guess, but how does the mission 'know' if the recon took the photos in an assigned area?

In Ankor's gfx is all the necessary code to determine this. In the special naming convention of the vehicle is hidden the radius of detection and how many photos to take before the objective is achieved. Understand that the gfx is actually a little script that is running on the client computer only (not on the server). It even takes into account if you are not flying level or too low. It's all explained here: http://riseofflight.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&start=90
SYN_Requiem wrote:5) What is the purpose of the "helper" group. I know what those media MCUs are pointing to (the .dds files used in photorecon), but I don't understand the purpose of their placement as they are not connected to the mission in any way I can see.

These are the special files (Ankor's gfx and icons) that the client has to download when the mission loads. by using the media mcu they will end up in the .list file and thus get downloaded by the client from the server.
SYN_Requiem wrote:Again, sorry for these type of questions Vander but this is the only one I'm having trouble wrapping my head around after doing my own photorecon group differently through Co-Op mode. I hope I was clear in my line of questioning, but if a response needs a few minutes on TS I understand.

No problem! This is all customized stuff. I wish Ankor could make more, because this way a lot of the logic is taken care of by the gfx and the mission maker needn't build it all with mcu's.
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Requiem » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:17 pm

Thanks Vander. That group makes much more sense to me as I can now visualise the invisible "magic" connections Ankor made :) I'll have to test and see if I can get it working in a DF scenario next. It looks like the only real difference between DF and Co-Op is the entity airfield where you designate the aircraft and what not.
SYN_Requiem

Return to SYN Missions/Editor