Bonus mission events...ideas?

Vintage missions, tdm and mission editor discussion

Moderator: SYN Exec

Bonus mission events...ideas?

Postby SYN_Vander » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:59 pm

Koll and I were discussing new ideas to make the RoF missions more interesting. One idea is to have several mini bonus objectives in the mission that are very specifically scripted and occur only once in a mission. Every time one of these objectives has been achieved bonus planes come available. These objectives will be injected in current generic missions.

In this thread we would like to produce a list of such objectives. They do not have to be strictly historical :)

-A balloon at coord x,y will guide artillery to destroy enemy target. Protect the balloon until the target is destroyed.
-A couple of train cars with ammunition have been spotted in village X next to an army dump. Hit the munition cars and this will trigger a chain of explosives that will destroy the whole complex
-An enemy general X is travelling by train from village A to B. Destroy the train completely before it arrives at B
-A new tank will be demonstrated at location X to the enemy general staff. Destroy the tank(s) and humiliate the enemy!

From Kollwitz:

- destroy the U-boot returning from a succesful patrol when it arrives in port. With clockbells ringing loud in town and perhaps some march music :)
- reverse world war 1. Start out with the best planes and replace them with their predecessor every 45 minutes. Mission runs for 5-6 hours and you end up with DH.2s and Eindeckers. Surviving gives you an edge on this one !

From Bandy:

-raid on aircraft depot, destroy AI aircraft on the ground with delayed action of the AA (machine) gunners.
-Destroy beer brewery :)

From Jedders:

-Insert enemy famous plane/flight and destroy it (within x minutes)
etc.

From Waxworks:

-Fly x number of unarmed bonus planes (this will require locked weapons hmmmm) from airfield Y to Z and then the reward will be you can fly them with ammo? Or to avoid the weapons lock, give them 5% fuel, just enough to make it to the required airfield where they will be refueled :).
-Protect AI artillery spotter and destroy important target X

Any more ideas?
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Re: Bonus mission events...ideas?

Postby SYN_Kollwitz » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:05 pm

- destroy the U-boot returning from a succesful patrol when it arrives in port. With clockbells ringing loud in town and perhaps some march music :)
- reverse world war 1. Start out with the best planes and replace them with their predecessor every 45 minutes. Mission runs for 5-6 hours and you end up with DH.2s and Eindeckers. Surviving gives you an edge on this one !
SYN_Kollwitz
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Bandy » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:46 pm

How about a pre-dawn/dawn raid on an airplane depot far behind the lines? Navigation required! Strafe the line of parked aircraft with impunity until the soldiers wake up and man the AAMG and AAA a minute or so later...

Hit the Kaiser where it hurts, knock out his favorite Belgian brewery, spilling thousands of litres into the streets!

Raid on the zeppelin hangars, no wait, that is historical... :roll:
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Jedders » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:13 pm

Great initiative!

Now let me think....

Can we have a red baron plane spawning once into the fray?..(ai or human)

Albert Ball etc for allies

Is it possible to have "Squadron humiliation"?...as in...kill x5 SYN members in a mission to get a Global message?
SYN_Jedders
Site Admin

Postby SYN_Vander » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:42 pm

SYN_Jedders wrote:Great initiative!

Now let me think....

Can we have a red baron plane spawning once into the fray?..(ai or human)

Albert Ball etc for allies

Is it possible to have "Squadron humiliation"?...as in...kill x5 SYN members in a mission to get a Global message?

Red Baron etc. Good plan! We can insert an AI plane/flight somewhere that has to be destroyed.

About the second idea: Quite brilliant! :) Not possible in the mission editor, but it should be possible outside dserver to have a program that reads the log files in real time and then depending on triggers could send an announcement back into dserver! But again, we need a programmer for that....
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby Waxworks » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:58 pm

The trouble with this is you end up unable to end the mission because no one wants it to rotate, but rewarding the side which is already winning unbalances it. If only they would let us ration out medals in multiplayer! Perhaps we could make creative use of Vander's new stuff, squadrons could earn their own gramophone etc?

An obvious bonus mission is an artillery spot, I feel that I made these reasonably functional, however if you bomb the targets you get kills and if the artillery destroy them you don't.

The first DH4 mission on the front was an attack on a chateau which was an army HQ. As well as the train, how about the Trenchard option, where he drops in on a base in his RE8 or in his Rolls car convoy to hand out new stuff, or new gramophone if that's all we have. Again, its a pity that we have functional toys we could dole out, weapon mods etc, but no means of doing so other than by gentlemans agreement.

It may be impractical but I wondered whether players would be prepared to fly replacement machines in from a depot.. what happened to the Syndicate mission where you flew machines up to the forward aerodrome? Again, there are machines in the game which are better than average, but there is no method of organising 'tune-ups?'

One concept I had for a late war mission was that the Germans would have to ensure the arrival of fuel at the aerodrome, or fly with less and less fuel.

Is there a means of awarding a Syndicate 'mission won medal,' rather than just performance medals?
Waxworks

Postby SYN_Bandy » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:42 pm

Waxworks wrote: ... One concept I had for a late war mission was that the Germans would have to ensure the arrival of fuel at the aerodrome, or fly with less and less fuel.

Some would see that as a bonus! :lol:

You'd have to take it a step further for reduced fuel to be a penalty, such as delayed respawn, having to wait to get back into an airplane and into the action because there was no fuel for it. The best situation would be to let the pilot sit in the cockpit on the field, but not allowed to start the engine (some sort of timer count down?) with subtitled messages fed to him, such as,

"Instead of glory holing, you should have been protecting the convoy!" or some such...
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Vander » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:32 pm

Ah Waxworks has some good ideas!

First, these bonus missions will not affect the overall outcome of the game. No-one is interested in that, unless it is announced as "event" and like you said, it will only quicken rotation.
The bonus missions are just there for fun, to give players something to go after.

But reading through your post we can add:

-Fly x number of unarmed bonus planes (this will require locked weapons hmmmm) from depot Y to airfield Z and then the reward will be you can fly them with ammo? Or to avoid the weapons lock, give them 5% fuel, just enough to make it to the required airfield where they will be refueled :).
-Protect AI artillery spotter and destroy important target X
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby Waxworks » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:48 pm

Yes, it could be considered a bonus- that's more or less the point. The concept is to reward the side that is losing, up to the end where if the Germans ran out of fuel entirely they would be defeated?

Are the gramophone objects able to be spawned? I liked that notion best, if the squadron achieved an objective Trenchard would drive up and award a gramophone. An elite squadron would have a gramophone outside every hangar! And of course they could be strafed spitefully by the opposition... You might have an aerodrome tag game where if you got your gramophone smashed you had to get one over the other side within a set time, or your squadron were out. Or squadron cars I suppose, the cars could travel to the nearest village and back. Or both, why just give pilots custom objects when they can be made to earn them?
Waxworks

Postby SYN_Bandy » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:52 pm

Waxworks wrote:...An elite squadron would have a gramophone outside every hangar! And of course they could be strafed spitefully by the opposition...

Am a little leery of that idea, it's going to encourage vulching at airfields. :???:
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Next

Return to SYN Missions/Editor