Sunday 29th...

Vintage missions, tdm and mission editor discussion

Moderator: SYN Exec

Sunday 29th...

Postby SYN_Vander » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:01 pm

This week, I'll have some time to build a new mission.
Any ideas for a special mission on the 29th?
Or will everyone be away visiting relatives etc? (heck. maybe I am!)

"Get the goat"
"Bomber Night"
"Schlasta Flieger" (low level ground attack)

SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Re: Sunday 29th...

Postby Waxworks » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:02 pm

"Space Invaders"
"Plants vs Zombies"
"Battleships"
Waxworks

Postby SYN_Jedders » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:37 am

How about trying the new "ace" logic?....
SYN_Jedders
Site Admin

Postby SYN_Bandy » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:29 pm

I'll be flying, I don't have a life... :lol:

Anything involving low cloud ceiling is always nice to break up the monotony of blue sky and fluffy clouds.

How about some localized assault involving lots of waves of tanks rolling across the mud, which would require low level ground attack and close defense of the tanks? I know masses of tanks wasn't historically accurate for WWI, but would be really fun.

How many tanks can be present in one location before performance hits the wall anyways?

Rather than a map that is 'squarish' why not try a longer narrower map so the battle could be spread further behind the lines and then provide really big supply columns for targets. Again, what is the limit on numbers of trucks or horse wagons?

Can trucks and wagons be mixed in the supply columns? Can tanks be moved forward on trains to resupply the offensive???

Just some thoughts to try and mix it up...
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Vander » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:42 pm

Ah, Bandy, I was thinking the same. So I'm working on a map where areas can be conquered. Something like this:

When Artillery spotters are flying inside the attack area, artillery will start a barrage. After x min. ( spotters have to stay in the air) tanks move in to " conquer" the area. When y number of tanks have moved in, the area is considered captured, maybe spawing friendly mgs etc. Rinse and repeat until you have crossed no mans land and achieved a breakthrough.

Maybe bombing depots can have an effect on the number of tanks attacking, to make a nice secundary objective.

Not sure what happens if two sides attack the same area at the same time...I guess the ensuing tank battle decides the outcome? :)

Building the mission isn't that hard, but getting the logic right is!
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby Waxworks » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:17 pm

The concept I had was for one side to spawn more tanks after a successful recce, the other would spawn more AT guns. Then its just a question of who runs out of tanks or AT guns first. You could add depots or trucks and trains for supply, but a simpler concept might be best?

Why isn't masses of tanks historically accurate for WW1???

'Battleships' might be easiest to create though!
Waxworks

Postby SYN_Vander » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:52 pm

Waxworks wrote:
Why isn't masses of tanks historically accurate for WW1???

I think Bandy is talking for both sides. The Germans only ever used just a few tanks in battles.
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Bandy » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:40 pm

Well, 'masses of tanks' relative to WW2 I suppose, but even still the numbers below aren't concentrations. i.e. 200 tanks over two months is hardly concentrated...
The French had deployed large numbers of tanks in April (130+), May (48) and October (92) of 1917, and the British more than 200 in Flanders in June and July.

The Germans never had more than how many A7V's??? But they used a lot of captured MkIV's. But I know you know this...
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby Waxworks » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:54 pm

The British deployed nearly six hundred tanks for Amiens in August 1918, that's a fair few? The Germans didn't have any though, they considered tanks to be extremely wasteful of resources, and incapable of making any real breakthrough because of the mobility limitations. We don't use the tanks nearly enough, and they were a very popular target when I made the Cambrai mission a while back. I might remake Cambrai after Bloody April next year. Please Santa, revise our main scout FMs!

If I made a 'fun' battleships mission would there be a use for one? The ships sail to the battle area they shoot at each other until one side has none left sort of..?
Waxworks

Postby SYN_Bandy » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:16 pm

Can I sink one of those battleships with a bomb? :lol:

But, back to a question earlier, what is the performance limit for number of tanks since they are AI and would be concentrated in a single location. Remember they also have AI subsystems like their MG's and cannons?

We might be very limited in what can be fielded... :???:
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Next

Return to SYN Missions/Editor