Sunday 29th...

Vintage missions, tdm and mission editor discussion

Moderator: SYN Exec

Re: Sunday 29th...

Postby SYN_Vander » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:43 am

Waxworks wrote:Here's the Battleships! mission:
Battleships.zip
I set the original in 1916 with Strutters and Rolands, but these machines might have too light a bombload for the holidays, so I included a 1917 version with Halberstadts and DH4s so the players can sink ships by themselves, rather than have to work in teams. Not quite Vintage level stuff, but at offpeak times it might be fun?

Its quite simple in theory, eight cruisers from each side meet in a battle off Nieuport, and the players are invited to interfere. However there is a serious aspect to it as I want to test naval battles, if you're going to add more ships next year it might be an advantage to know how surface fights between ships work. What I'd most like to know is whether surface naval battles are feasible in terms of lag.

My preliminary tests were not encouraging, if you set one cruiser to attack another it will sink it in seconds, while if it is not specifically told to attack another ship it will not do so, even if enemy ships are easily within attack range. The logic I've used might be overcomplicated and the problem might be solved by a large commandattackarea, however this risks all the ships concentrating their fire on one enemy, which could just exacerbate the flimsy defence values?

Wax, I have put this mission on the Wednesdays "Channel" mission list. I forgot to turn off the password restriction, but maybe I can restart later today. Or have you used the Tirpitz Battery in the mission?
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby Waxworks » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:43 pm

No there's no mods involved, its just a test of what exists.

The Tirpitz Batterie damage tests could be made in a small MP or coop mission 633 Squadron style if you like?
Waxworks

Postby SYN_Speck » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:45 pm

I just had a quick sortie in the Battleships! mission. Things were very quiet, as no one else was on the server, but I thought I'd see if I could watch the naval battle anyhow. But I couldn't find any ships; perhaps the battle was already over and the victors went home?
SYN_Speck
Syndicate Exec

Previous

Return to SYN Missions/Editor