Another cracking mission! (Air Superiority)

Vintage missions, tdm and mission editor discussion

Moderator: SYN Exec

Another cracking mission! (Air Superiority)

Postby SYN_Jedders » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:59 am

Credit to Vander for another cracking mission on sunday!. Really enjoyed the atmosphere and the teamwork. It really felt like we were working for a common goal on that mission.

Great that it is in rotation aswell....thanks m8!
SYN_Jedders
Site Admin

Re: Another cracking mission!

Postby Pod » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:03 pm

Yes, thank you for that great mission!
The quality of it is really incredible with the clear goals and the number of events needed for success.

I really love these kinds of missions. P
robably because I am a lousy dogfighter and this way I feel I can still add something to the mission.

On other servers I always have the feeling the missions are less important and I really don't care being shot down (just hop into another plane and another furball), but with these kind of missions I really try hard to survive.

Well done!
Pod

Postby SYN_Vander » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:11 pm

Thanks! I'm glad it works out okay, many hours have gone into creating the mission design!
Now let's see how to improve it and maybe plot it on a more historical scenario?
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Bandy » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:48 pm

Yes, was a wonderful mission, many thanks for all the effort!

SYN_Vander wrote:... Now let's see how to improve it and maybe plot it on a more historical scenario?

That was what I was trying to communicate to you over TS yesterday, thoughts of making this more of a larger scale "front" assault.

Could the enemy side then have a delay response to their attack, thus making that attack more of a counter-attack? Just a thought. Pincer movements are possible also, or two attack fronts etc. Just thinking BIG here, but feel free to rein me in with reality. :grin:
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Kollwitz » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:41 pm

Dammit... I crashed early and missed out on this one :(

looks like you boys had a great time!
SYN_Kollwitz
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Vander » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:10 pm

SYN_Bandy wrote:Yes, was a wonderful mission, many thanks for all the effort!

SYN_Vander wrote:... Now let's see how to improve it and maybe plot it on a more historical scenario?

That was what I was trying to communicate to you over TS yesterday, thoughts of making this more of a larger scale "front" assault.

Could the enemy side then have a delay response to their attack, thus making that attack more of a counter-attack? Just a thought. Pincer movements are possible also, or two attack fronts etc. Just thinking BIG here, but feel free to rein me in with reality. :grin:

Yeah, one way to make a more active battlefield is to let the sides take turns in attacking. Then for each wave we can use twice the number of guns & tanks & soldiers.
But how to determine who gets to attack and when? Maybe use a timer? so if the Allies haven't succeeded in destroying the enemy fortification in x minutes, then the Germans will counter attack?
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Jedders » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:54 pm

Sounds perfect. It is fairly standard military tactics to counter attack when an attack falters. You can almost imagine first waves starting at dawn and after an hour or so being driven back. I'm sure we can find enough examples of historic attack/counter attack events in WW1.

This is definitely the beginnings of something huge, guys
SYN_Jedders
Site Admin

Postby SYN_Bandy » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:33 am

One doesn't think of the Germans losing a lot of men (like at the Somme, Paschendale, or other 'meat-grinders') since they were defending for most of the war, but they lost nearly as many men in the scattered counter-attacks to even the lines out. They just aren't talked about as much.

An interesting diversion. I do not know much about Verdun, other than the basics, but this caught my eye given the 3D project over at RoF...
That will be interesting to work into a mission.

The same fort now. Reminds me of those Roman walls Blackie took me to see near his house.
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby Pod » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:54 am

I'm not sure if it is possible at all, but it might be nice to let the success of the attack depend on the tanks.
For example if all tanks are destroyed the attack stalls and the other side will start the counterattack. That way you are not depending on a timer, but on actions on the map.

If I'd let my fantasy run wild... it might be nice to place a factory somewhere that produces the tanks or artillery so that if the factory is destroyed and the tanks are wiped out, it will take longer to be able to (counter)attack.
Maybe even use supply lines that are needed to re-build the factory, but I guess this might be a bit over the top...
Although I think you had one of those missions on the server before, didn't you? Where the availability of planes was depending on the status of the factories?

One thing that might need to change then is the conditions for winning, since at the moment the team that shoots down the most planes is still credited with most of the points and thus seems to be winning. When working with these goals, it might be better to credit points for reaching the goals (if that is possible in RoF at all)

Through my pink glasses I can see a mission where sides need to build up a force to be able to attack, start the attack when they have enough forces and then a dynamic battle starts rolling back and forth across the battlefield...
Pod

Postby SYN_Vander » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:12 am

Yup, having a finite amount of tanks is a good suggestion, thanks. So after the last tank has been destroyed and the line has not been captured, then the other side will get the initiative to attack.

In the current mission there is already a supply line for artillery. This could be extended to tanks as well, although in reality tanks would be brought up to the line before starting any attack. I think we should try to simulate tactical warfare, not a war of attrition. So attacking a supply line should slow things down only. Attacking factories should not affect the outcome of a well prepared attack?

Which bombing objective would/should have the most effect apart from the primary objectives (fortifications)? I'm thinking destroying an ammo dump or an airfield. When an airfield is destroyed it's not that hard to shut the airfield down or decrease number of planes, but we shouldn't prevent players from flying at all! So there should at least be one airfield, further back, that is always open.
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Next

Return to SYN Missions/Editor