Missions in rotation on SYNDICATE server

Vintage missions, tdm and mission editor discussion

Moderator: SYN Exec

Re: Missions in rotation on SYNDICATE server

Postby SYN_Ricky » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:41 pm

Finding a prize plane for the Germans for mid-1917 is a bit difficult. The DVa appeared in the fall of 1917 and it doesn't have that much over the D.III.
Very few Dr.I operated from August 1917 before they were grounded in November and appearing again in numbers from January 1918.
SYN_Ricky
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Postby SYN_Haashashin » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:28 pm

:lol: I am really bad if we speak about planesets, thx god Koll or Vander take a look at my missions. Thx guys.
SYN_Haashashin
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Vander » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:49 pm

SYN_Bandy wrote:EDIT: Great news Hash! Thank you.
You write "plazd XII" do you mean the Pfalz DXII??? If so, that came into service in March 1918, much too late to include in this plane set.

OK, shouldn't be doing this at work, but was interested...
Inter-service rivalry affected aircraft procurement. Urgently required Sopwith 1½ Strutter two-seaters had to be transferred from the planned RNAS strategic bombing force to RFC squadrons on the Western Front because the Sopwith firm were contracted to supply the RNAS exclusively. In fact this situation continued – although most of Sopwith's post-1915 products were not designed specifically as naval aircraft. Thus RNAS fighter squadrons obtained Sopwith Pup fighters months before the RFC – and then replaced these first with Sopwith Triplanes and then Camels while the hard-pressed RFC squadrons soldiered on with their obsolescent Pups.

Lee, Arthur Gould (1968). No Parachute. Harrolds.

Yup, 66 sqn and I think 43(?) Sqn were still flying Pups in October/November 1917!!!

For my new (now October) 1917 Ypres mission I have found some interesting squadrons in the area. Allied: Sopwith Camel, Pup, SE5a, SPAD 7 (180hp) and RE8. DH4's were also flying, but their base is further back as they were assigned strategic bombing missions while the RE8's were close to the front and used for contact patrols and reconaissance.
German: Albatros DIII, Albatros DVa (most), PfalzDIIIa and some Fokker Dr1s of JG I. Still not sure about two-seaters, but found some Flieger Abteilungen in the area (but their bases were not close to the front).
I've looked through the datafiles (google for "jasta 11 datafile" or "jasta 4 datafile" etc) and it's obvious by looking at the kill/casualty list that a lot of fights happened in the Ypres are between June-November 1917. Victims on Allied side are almost exclusively British although there were some French squadrons near Dunkirk. I guess it was a result of the "Offensive spirit" of the British. What is also striking is that maybe 80% of German victories are British scouts shot down. So either the "offensive patrols" were just very costly or they at least did manage to protect their two-seaters.
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby Waxworks » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:38 pm

These might be useful if you haven't encountered them before:

http://patriot.net/~townsend/WW1AirMap2/

http://www.citigraph.com/rac/orderofbattle1917.htm
Waxworks

Postby SYN_Kollwitz » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:15 pm

thx waxworks, I knew one of them, the other is bookmarked,

Ill have look at your new mission Haash :)
SYN_Kollwitz
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Kollwitz » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:39 pm

:shock: My RoF editor won't start anymore, I've got a renderers.dll error... tried recovery, that didn't fix it, then deleted the whole. bin_editor folder and did a recovery. Recovery reinstalled the bin folder, but still no luck...

anyone have an idea?

Last time I used it was in 1.028, if you need any extra info, please let me know.

PS: I did update my graphics drivers to nvidia 310.70, but RoF itself is running fine...
SYN_Kollwitz
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Vander » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:20 pm

SYN_Kollwitz wrote::shock: My RoF editor won't start anymore, I've got a renderers.dll error... tried recovery, that didn't fix it, then deleted the whole. bin_editor folder and did a recovery. Recovery reinstalled the bin folder, but still no luck...

anyone have an idea?

Last time I used it was in 1.028, if you need any extra info, please let me know.

PS: I did update my graphics drivers to nvidia 310.70, but RoF itself is running fine...

Not sure about that error message, but the ME will always try to open the mission you opened/saved last time in the ME. If that mission is still on your harddisk with the .msbin extension, then ME will crash as the format is not compatible. Possible solution: delete all *.msbin files, or at least those before 24 dec 2012.
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Vander » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:22 pm

Waxworks wrote:These might be useful if you haven't encountered them before:

http://patriot.net/~townsend/WW1AirMap2/

http://www.citigraph.com/rac/orderofbattle1917.htm

Thanks. I know of both links, but for some reason the patriot.net link doesn't work anymore for me. It almost seems as if my provider is blocking it? Does anyone else have this?
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Haashashin » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:51 pm

Vander I can see both links, if that helps.
SYN_Haashashin
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Rabitski » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:59 pm

In Gould's book he goes on to say that the RFC were aware of the short comings of the pup with respects to the arrival of the Dv and it was for this reason that pup squads were quickley shunted of to combat zones that were not as active as flanders area. Also of note was the height they used to conduct there patrols @ +18,000- 20000ft where Gould maintains the pup had the advantage over the Diii but not the Dv. (great read)
SYN_Rabitski
Syndicate Squadron pilot

PreviousNext

Return to SYN Missions/Editor