Total War!

Vintage missions, tdm and mission editor discussion

Moderator: SYN Exec

Re: Total War!

Postby Waxworks » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:46 pm

Is it just my impression, or did Sunday's Vintage Mission suffer a fall in numbers? Is Saturday night preferred?

While I have always supported the concept of a regular competitive framework, I wouldn't want to abandon the historical elements that have been worked in to the missions in favour of two vast glorified dogfight-fests. I was happy to help test possible numbers on one server, however this new scheme has the disadvantage of splitting the available numbers into two servers..? I'm not sure where you are going?

Where Syndicate might improve is to match the mission more closely to the expected number of players. If every mission has to be based around 75 players equally distributed between two sides, with bombing opportunities for both, then those constraints will produce a sameness in design. Though familiarity is a plus, this can lead to staleness. Having randomised maps always for 70+ players is going to be wrong most of the time, also even with the increase to four hours it is a pain when a mission ends at a peak time, especially for players whose missions take 40+ minutes of flight time. If on a weekday you could run a two hour mission 6-8 and then a four hour mission 8-12 (for example) that might help?

Also, at times when you might expect far fewer players the bigger maps are a disadvantage. Not only because the plane density is lower, but also because you lose a opportunity to have a smaller map with more detail.

I haven't any particular attachment to the Lens sector, what caused me to start working on missions there is that players prefer the mud to be at the front line, because the aerodromes in the Lens-Bethune sector are the 'right' distance from the lines and because the planeset seems right, with the newer RFC squadrons having moved up to Ypres you are left with the Nieuports fighting the DIIIs with some SPAD 150s and Triplanes, except at a time after the BE2 and FE2 were no longer front line machines and the RE8s are correct.

Though I have been distracted by the artillery spotting, my intention was to produce a dogfight mission that would work more like coop, with a small map and all the missions centred on Lens. Then to test it in its 'appropriate' time slot. The spotter isn't a necessary element.

Cooperation with =CAM= is valuable in its own right, more squadron-level organisation is always welcome. However, if we are to have a 'war night,' with servers run side-by-side and progress measured from the results, an alternative approach would be to have smaller missions. This might allow the smaller transatlantic community to participate in their preferred time slot.

So I had considered the long-term prospects of a 'war night', I just wouldn't want to have Vintage mission-type elements sacrificed in favour of simplicity. Simplicity is fine for top scout pilots...!
Waxworks

Postby SYN_Jedders » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:44 am

Don't forget we are talking about perhaps one 2 server total war event per month. I can't see that impacting on vm much.
SYN_Jedders
Site Admin

Postby -CAM-Voss » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:21 am

I think that these types of events should be encouraged, because ROF would gain an advantage and could perhaps ensure that the 777 optimizes network of ROF. I think it is up to us to turn our gaze to the developers to play online. We must try to involve as many pilots as possible, and perhaps these types of events could lead to massive say play even drivers who do only offline.

Cheers!!

Voss
-CAM-Voss

Postby SYN_Bandy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:26 pm

-CAM-Voss wrote:I think that these types of events should be encouraged, because ROF would gain an advantage and could perhaps ensure that the 777 optimizes network of ROF. I think it is up to us to turn our gaze to the developers to play online. We must try to involve as many pilots as possible, and perhaps these types of events could lead to massive say play even drivers who do only offline...

I agree. Jason was very interested in the outcome of Saturday's experiment from a PM with him, IMHO I think mostly because he has his eye to IL2 BoS, where there WILL be many many more online players.

777 needs to get the MP right or BoS will have egg all over its face, and hopefully RoF will benefit from any network optimization done there...

Waxworks has some good points about matching map sizes to player numbers, but it is tough to predict player number at any time of the day let alone week. Also, I don't think it is an either/or scenario. People will continue flying VM because they want that aspect of game play.
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Bandy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:07 pm

From the latest update for IL2 Battle of Stalingrad http://forum.il2sturmovik.net/topic/168-developer-diary/#entry9637

9) What is the maximum number of players can take part in multiplayer?

This will depend on the capacity of the server. If we would open our server, I think there would have been 100 or more pilots in one dogfight session. We'll pay attention to optimization and improvement of all parameters associated with the work of the network. We would like to build the servers for you, including a common for all scenarios, but it will depend on the success of the project on the market. There are concerns that it is too hardcore for the MMO project. But I'm an optimist and we consider this possibility.

Hopefully some of their "optimizations and improvements" will filter down to RoF...
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby Father Ted » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:26 pm

The stuff about BoS is pretty relevant, I think. As regards the "Total War" itself, I'm not sure that two servers is the way to go. For me, the whole point is "everybody" flying together. If 100 people want to play, you'd end up with 75 on Syn and 25 on CAM (or vice versa) with the people on the second server just experiencing normal MP, and knowing that the other 75 are in the cool kids' gang. I think that, in time, the numbers of people interested in this event will probably tail back down to 70-80 anyway. Of course, if 150 people fill both servers next time, I'll stand corrected...

Hope you don't mind me dropping my two cents' worth in, but this is something which I'm interested in.
Father Ted

Postby -CAM-Voss » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:08 pm

Hello guys,
Dedicated Server CAM can hold 75 pilots without problems.
Already in FEOW we had 100 pilots, but as we all know 75 is the appropriate number.

Voss
-CAM-Voss

Postby SYN_Jedders » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:13 am

I think we should run this week with 2 servers. Name them very similarly as in:

1/ SYNDICATE: Total War (Syn/=CAM=)

2/ SYNDICATE: Total War (=CAM=/SYN)

Then next week we can change the bracket part to (Nothern sector) and (Southern Sector) with the same objectives on both maps...that way those without the northern map can use the southern map.

Any use?...
SYN_Jedders
Site Admin

Previous

Return to SYN Missions/Editor