AVRO Arrow conspiracy...

Welcome to the SYNDICATE

Moderator: SYN Exec

AVRO Arrow conspiracy...

Postby SYN_Bandy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:12 am

I know just a little about the AVRO Arrow, which at the time in the mid- to late 1950's was a ground-breaking aircraft design and prototype program that was mysteriously cancelled by John Diefenbaker's Conservative government. Everything to do with the program was ordered destroyed, the six flight-tested prototypes were scrapped, even the blueprints. AVRO Canada went bankrupt, and many of the 30,000 engineers and workers went south to work for various military aircraft companies and NASA.

Flash forward a number of decades and various parts have turned up, including tails, two verified Arrow ejector seats (coming from aircraft with many hours), and most recently this month (Sept 2017) test model(s) were discovered at the bottom of Lake Ontario http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada/avro-arrow-test-model-found-in-lake-ontario-expedition-team-1.3580009

But the interesting bit I came across, and hadn't heard before, was a theory that one of the Arrows made it over to England http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/avro-arrow-mystery-deepens-with-u-k-discovery-1.741854

Wilson said he had an inkling that an Arrow made its way over to the U.K thanks to the pair of seats, but a chance conversation with a customer gave him a firmer hypothesis. According to Wilson, the customer (who did not wish to speak on the record to CTV News) was an aviation fan who once lived near the RAF Manston air base near Kent, England.

The customer told Wilson that as a teenager he often watched planes land at the base and he still remembered a strange incident in which a white, high delta wing aircraft with no national markings or registration landing at the base in the early 1960s. "He's still 100 per cent adamant he saw an Arrow aircraft land," Wilson said.

Wilson said ex-RAF members say that the existence of an Arrow in the U.K. was a local legend within the force during the 1960s.

Blackie, were you ever around Manston in the late 50's or early 60's and saw a big delta-wing aircraft? :wink:

The vimeo brackets don't seem to work...
[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/208205480/dddb0ef1aa[/vimeo]
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Re: AVRO Arrow conspiracy...

Postby SYN_Blackrat » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:38 am

Before my parents met :mrgreen:
"They say that just before you die, your whole life flashes in front of you. Make sure it is worth watching."
SYN_Blackrat
Site Admin

Re: AVRO Arrow conspiracy...

Postby SYN_Bandy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:15 pm

Was JK, but have to admit an interesting/entertaining bit of conspiracy theory there, and a legend of the Canadian aerospace industry.

The Arrow was designed to do mach 2, easily reached mach 1+ (if I remember, just shy of 2) BUT the prototypes did not yet have the spec engines installed, they hadn't been built yet.
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Return to Public Bar