Spotting Aircraft - Realistic Ranges Discussion

Welcome to the SYNDICATE

Moderator: SYN Exec

Spotting Aircraft - Realistic Ranges Discussion

Postby SYN_MrWolf » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:38 am

We discussed this more than once casually on Team Speak. I heard some of you state different distances. think it was Vander or Mugue, who mentioned experienced pilot were able to spot planes at long distances.

My take is..it seems to me that being able to spot fighter planes further than 12 km would only be in perfect weather conditions. And fighting on servers were people are used to scanning with the max zoom creates a kind of unrealistic situation.

I posted this..just to put it a bit in perspective. It seems interesting to me.

ALWAYS BE YOURSELF! UNLESS YOU CAN BE BATMAN. THEN ALWAYS BE BATMAN.
SYN_MrWolf
Syndicate Exec

Re: Spotting Aircraft - Realistic Ranges Discussion

Postby SYN_Mugue » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:42 pm

Interesting.

And he says as much in the video....and I agree.

THE single most important thing that needs to be done is, figuring out a way to render the same spotting range on the wide array of hardware available today. I don't really care what the spotting range is so long as it's the same for everyone.(sure we all want to see things farther away)

The situation has gotten kind of ridiculous to me, as illustrated by the last time Wolf and I were flying on the 'Burning Skies' server. Wolf in his Occulus and me with my 32" 4k monitor. He could everything long before I could.(And I'm talking about with the server side custom icons even!)
Granted he couldn't ID the target but he could clearly see and track what was going on. I basically saw nothing but bullets tearing me to pieces.

Likewise, flying BoS on the latest TAW campaign with Repent. I made quite a study of my video settings so that I could spot anything remotely as good as Repent was achieving. The results were heart breaking for me. In order for me to be of any use as Repents wing-man, I had to turn my res in game down from 3840x2160 to 1920x1080!

It's a no win situation now. I can have the beautiful super crisp graphics(which I paid a premium for btw) and be killed by things I never saw, or have a blurry feckin mess and be killed, because I suck. :lol:

When PC flight sims started I bet most of us had basically the same hardware. So the developers 'one size fits all' approach worked. Now the hardware ecosystem is so varied I think it's become mandatory that they address this problem in a meaningful way. Or is it just the ironic fate that, as your equipment gets better, it will become more likely that you are going to be 'powned' by some guy in a third world country, flying a potato with a 640x320 monitor and a laggy connection?(sad if true)
"Billy Pilgrim has come unstuck in time."
SYN_Mugue
Syndicate Exec

Re: Spotting Aircraft - Realistic Ranges Discussion

Postby SYN_MrWolf » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:19 pm

Would be far more relaxing if we didn't have to squint our eyes constantly ha ha.

A sever could enable labels only within a certain distance. Like 12k maybe. We would still have the problem diffrent resolutions give diffrent size labels.
ALWAYS BE YOURSELF! UNLESS YOU CAN BE BATMAN. THEN ALWAYS BE BATMAN.
SYN_MrWolf
Syndicate Exec

Return to Public Bar