Elderscrolls series ...

Heads up on new games

Moderator: SYN Exec

Elderscrolls series ...

Postby SYN_Bandy » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:48 pm

EDIT: The former "recommendation" thread for an older fantasy first person game.
Rather than start a new thread, please see my 'report' and some questions below.

As the subject line reads, any recommendations for an older (last 5 years perhaps) fantasy role-playing game that can ideally be played single player (ie offline hopefully)?

Early Skyrim or perhaps Fallout (just watched a trailer, maybe not that one...) comes to mind, but I know there are so many more out there. NOT interested in WoW. I ask about older games so it can be played on an older system that my 12 year old son has inherited, if it wasn't obvious...

Thanks for any titles.
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Recommendations for Fantasy first person game?

Postby SYN_Blackrat » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:41 pm

Sky rim if you can run it, absolutely brilliant and from what I can remember pretty 12 year old friendly, totally absorbing game play with so many varied ways to play. It was my first and only fantasy game.
"They say that just before you die, your whole life flashes in front of you. Make sure it is worth watching."
SYN_Blackrat
Site Admin

Re: Recommendations for Fantasy first person game?

Postby SYN_Belmont » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:14 pm

Oblivion, it's old, but it's good. It should run on your son's computer easily.
SYN_Belmont
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Postby SYN_Bandy » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:29 am

Thank you gentlemen, much appreciated!
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Bandy » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:55 am

Well, I haven't been online to play MP in a while. Not sure anyone misses me... :lol:

A few months ago (at the genesis of this thread...) I picked up Skyrim V Legendary (all content) for my son at about $20 on DVD, and as Amazon always does, suggested the 'Official Game Guide' for another $10. I figured, "why not to help out my 12 year old", as I usually don't bother with supplemental material, it being a money grab. But no-no, the book was very well written/organized, and I had no idea it was going to be absolutely massive! Reminded me of the old Sears catalogs that used to come once a year, but even bigger.

So I was bored, or depressed, whatever, and decided to install it 2 weeks ago on my computer to make sure it was appropriate (it is rated M for mature after all). I was blown away by the detail of the world, the visuals, and so engaged by the characters and story lines. Of course it would be great to have more interactive AI off the conversation flow-tree diagram, but it is an older game with tremendous content, and there is only so much an older game can do... That said, I was joking with Requiem on TS that the auto-GFX setting decided I could run it at "ultra", and it runs very very well maxed out. :cool:

Anyways, did a quick look and found unofficial patches, and then stumbled on Nexus with unofficial content, bigger even more detailed textures, and then the Mod Organizer... :shock: What a fekking rabbit hole this has turned out to be, but not in a particularly bad way. There is just too much. However, MO really works, once you watch a few vid tutorials, and makes it relatively problem free to mod if you don't go too far off the reservation. I have yet to install the ENB series Skyrim-specific mod that everyone raves about. It has it's own complete tutorial series to get it just right...

Of course you have to run Skyrim thru Steam, so I see that many of you have enjoyed it, some quite a bit. Just curious if any have tried it on MP since it became available, though suspect many brats running around. So, going to see if I can figure out how to establish a local network/server so I can play together with my son. Any advice sincerely appreciated.

S!
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Re: Fantasy first person - Skyrim V now up...

Postby SYN_MrWolf » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:11 pm

Good to hear you are enjoying Skyrim. An absolute Gem in my eyes. Definitely try Fall Out 4 next month if you liked this. Fall Out 3 and Fall out Vegas are superb as well..tho the graphics are dated.

I don't think you can really compare The Elder Scrolls online and Skyrim. The gameplay experience will be very different. I didn't even bother to try that one. I saw some videos and they didn't appeal to me at all.
ALWAYS BE YOURSELF! UNLESS YOU CAN BE BATMAN. THEN ALWAYS BE BATMAN.
SYN_MrWolf
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Blackrat » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:33 pm

Yep, I played that one right through to the end. Started playing from the start again with a different character, but sorta got bored with it. So much I didn't do either, never tried the online, not really interested.
"They say that just before you die, your whole life flashes in front of you. Make sure it is worth watching."
SYN_Blackrat
Site Admin

Postby SYN_Vander » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:36 pm

SYN_Bandy wrote:Well, I haven't been online to play MP in a while. Not sure anyone misses me... :lol:

We do miss you Bandy, but the reason was pretty clear. Every time I boot my PC it says "Bandy is now playing Elder Scrolls V'!!!!!
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Bandy » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:15 pm

Thanks for replies fellows. Yes, I defo fell into the rabbit hole here... Love modding it as well.

My thread may have started Blackie playing again, I see his last play date was today Oct 5th!!! :grin: He only has 38 of 75 achieved, so don't believe him, he has a long way to go LOL.

I think I took a real divergent path and got well ahead of myself very early with the quests, and now at low level have all these higher level things to do that are bloody difficult to complete. I HATE replaying from the last save, as I managed to have some real close shaves and yet not do so for several days (which left me feeling great about the game), then had a dragon attack that took me about a half-dozen plus (more plus than not) restarts... Very unnerving.

Just fortunate to have an excellent follower in Lydia; she is a tank. Gave here a massive two-handed sword of frost and she makes it happen.

VERY atmospheric with the mods...

My son is the smith in the family, and refines all my armour and weapons. Got me up to smith level 30 in a weekend. We also love trying out ingredients...

The fourth or fifth dragon. They seem to be coming more often now... :???:

More later...
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_MrWolf » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:20 am

Did you already take an arrow to the knee ? :)
ALWAYS BE YOURSELF! UNLESS YOU CAN BE BATMAN. THEN ALWAYS BE BATMAN.
SYN_MrWolf
Syndicate Exec

Next

Return to New Games