Dark Souls - reprise

Heads up on new games

Moderator: SYN Exec

Dark Souls - reprise

Postby SYN_Bandy » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:57 pm

Hi fellows,

I've talked to several of you about getting into Dark Souls One recently (latest release is III as of April 2016). If I'm going to try a series, I like to play from beginning and DS 1 came out on PC in 2012. All of us have no doubt read about DS, maybe some have tried it. After reading about it in game-zines I was always intrigued, so when on sale at steam for $9.99 I thought why not?

Experience has been, umm interesting to say the least, but have persevered and it has clicked with me after about 15 character levels (maybe 5 to 10 hours). It's all true, if you don't like to die, then this game is not for you, LOL. BUT it forces you to become a better player, observing your enemy, learning their patterns and weaknesses in order to prevail. Stop your button mashing...

Long story, Dark Souls One on PC must be installed with mods for it to work with keyboard/mouse. I have experience with other games, so was not an issue and can provide a zipped copy of my game folder on Dropbox-Pro. Ask. If you have ever wondered and wanted to give it a try, I can recommend the first one. Multiplayer and coop is very unique, it is all tied together. You have to 'summon' other players via magic within the game itself, so very creative and most immersive.

If wondering about graphics, I'll post a few screenshots...

The raven that carries you from the asylum after the first boss (sorry, no screens of that boss, just happy to have beaten him).

Glimpse of things to come, early on this bastard scared the shit out of me at the top of the stairs, but he flew off.

After a few equipment upgrades to chain mail, meet him again.

I find it very atmospheric, sometimes just spend time looking around after dispatching the locals...

My current impasse, die and die again... SweetFX and sometimes looks like too much bloom, but you rarely get to see the sun anyways. LOL
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Re: Dark Souls - reprise

Postby SYN_Bandy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:59 pm

Well, i can see this thread went down like a lead balloon. :???: Has nobody besides Belmont and me tried it? Maybe only of interest to a ultra small minority of the gamers here.

As mentioned the PVP and coop modes are truly unique and integrated into the lore of the game itself. I've been invaded by hostile 'phantoms' (ie other players) only about 6 times now, and yes, they can be dirge bastards who know the game inside and out, and only exist to ruin your day. Some others are kind of gentlemanly about it, and make a gesture of bowing to you, much like a S!

Well, I finally killed one of them, Dark Knight Kirk I think was his name. Not bragging, no-no, just had to let somebody know and who better than my squad mates? There is no in-game chat, so I couldn't tell him that he was bested by a 50+ year old scrub...

:lol:

Sorry, no screenshot, my hands were literally trembling and I didn't think to grab the moment.
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Re: Dark Souls - reprise

Postby SYN_Vander » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:59 pm

I don't like repetitive tasks so....... :???:

Although, it reminds me of Infinity Blade on the Ipad which I enjoyed a lot (but was also very repetitive!)

SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Return to New Games