Iracing General

Heads up on new games

Moderator: SYN Exec

Iracing General

Postby SYN_Repent » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:18 am

been doing some oval racing with karma, gotta say im really enjoying it, its a real challenge, very competitive, and lots of fun to boot.
SYN_Repent
Syndicate Exec

Re: Iracing ovals

Postby SYN_Repent » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:54 am

my first win today, great race.
SYN_Repent
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Repent » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:53 am

and a 2nd place finish....a battle to the end, great race
SYN_Repent
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Repent » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:02 am

if anyone wants to give this a try, i dont think you will regret it, it is a lot of fun, and the mastering of the cars/tracks is half of it, not so different from flight simming.

and once you start competing, well your hooked.
SYN_Repent
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Vander » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:06 am

I'm a bit worried about the "hooked" part! :)

Question: Are there different leagues? Or will a beginner have to compete against someone that has been practicing 100 hours a week for the last 5 years???
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Blackrat » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:44 am

SYN_Vander wrote:I'm a bit worried about the "hooked" part! :)

Question: Are there different leagues? Or will a beginner have to compete against someone that has been practicing 100 hours a week for the last 5 years???

There is a licensing system, so you start at the bottom and can only compete in races for your licence level, your licence levels also apply to the type of cars you can drive. As a rookie you will be restricted to driving the base cars, so you cannot jump in and buy an F1 car then go race it in official races. To encourage clean racing you earn skill points for every lap you complete in a race or time trial, but lose points for going off the track or colliding with other vehicles. Unfortunately you also lose points if you are hit by another vehicle, so it is in your best interest to drive defensively and keep your SA up at all times.

Now this may sound like levelling up, but it is not about being fast its about being a clean driver, the idea being that reckless drivers will struggle to keep a licence and yes you can be demoted if your skill points drop.

Now even on a lower level licence you may find yourself racing against an alien, but official races are restricted to a maximum number of drivers, if the race is over subscribed then there is a split into two or more races. You also earn Irating points for your finishing position in a race, these are the points used to calculate which split you race in, so the fast guys are in race one and so on.

The whole thing is split into Oval racing and Road racing with a separate licence for each.

But as a Rookie the races are pretty abysmal on the whole in terms of idiots on the track so the aim is to just get your D licence ASAP by driving sensibly and just complete the race with as many SP as you can, its been ages since I did this and in those days you could only get promoted once a month, now I believe its weekly and 4 races should get you enough SP if you have no faults.

There is also a thing called time trials which are official and you can increase or decrease, if you crash, Skill points. Of course there is a practice session for upcoming races and if you are eligible you can join, there are no penalties to skill points nor can you earn them but it is open practice so you can join and leave when you want as can others so you get to practice without fear of losing points. Finally there is a testing session which you can do on your own and drive any car you own whether you have the necessary licence or not.

My only advice is don't go in expecting to win in the first week, I have the top licence in Road racing and have never won, in fact I haven't done an official race for quite a while as most of my racing was with my league in our own hosted race.
"They say that just before you die, your whole life flashes in front of you. Make sure it is worth watching."
SYN_Blackrat
Site Admin

Postby SYN_Repent » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:57 am

ive found that generally, you race against drivers of roughly equal skill/experience, but thats in the rookie leagues, holding an A class licence doesnt mean they are better drivers, i suppose it means they have raced safely enough to get the licence, reguraly in the street stock rookie races, A and B licenced drivers compete and dont come near a top 5 finish.

irating= points awarded for racing (this is what the matchmaker looks at)
safety rating= needed to progress to a higher class licence, and higher class cars

anyway, if you give it a try for a month vander, im sure you will be able to see for yourself quick enough if its for you.

me and karma was talking about how cool it would be to have a syndicate racing league, with a race meet once or twice a week.
SYN_Repent
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Jedders » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:00 am

So whats stopping you?....numbers just?.

If thats all it is ~Im sure some of us will be getting it. Best to set it up and see who joins in :)

Im sure I will be...
SYN_Jedders
Site Admin

Postby SYN_Repent » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:26 am

yer just numbers atm, with only 2-3 of us playing, we also need to discuss whether we do road or ovals, or a mix of both if possible.
SYN_Repent
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Repent » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:56 am

and another victory to me, close race, decided in the final 2 laps, a husband and wife team drafting in 1st and 2nd, seemingly untouchable keeping the inside line to avoid anyone overtaking them, until me (in 4th) and the 3rd place guy start drafting and stay outside, eating away at the lead, then we take 1st/2nd off them, stupidly the 1st place guy stays high, i go low and take the win :)

the rookie leagues may be a real smash fest sometimes, but its where these kind of things are learned imo, and so are neccesery experience for the higher class/leagues.
SYN_Repent
Syndicate Exec

Next

Return to New Games