IL2: 1946 Getting started (again)

Discuss IL2: Sturmovik. Both 1946 and Cliffs of Dover

Moderator: SYN Exec

Re: IL2: 1946 Getting started (again)

Postby SYN_Flashman » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:56 am

SYN_Blackrat wrote:Right, the steam version is 409m, so updated with 409 skinpack, 410 and 410-1, installed UP3.0 and incrementally installed UP3.0 RC2, RC3 and RC4.

Obviously it looks a bit pants ATM as the GFX needs tweaking also which mods in JSGME do I make active, there are a choice of four?

To fly on Warbirds of Prey (like Syndicate but for Il2!) I just use the Enable UP3.0 mod.

Widescreen is only for the menu and mission builder, its NOT in game widescreen support (there is a method but it doesn't work in Win7 properly...so I wont explain!). You can get widescreen by changng the settings in the conf.ini but its not 'true' widescreen.... it cuts the top and bottom off the picture. I find it better than having black bars to the sides though.

The hakenkreuz is just for nazis.....

I only have Nvidia im afraid.
SYN_Flashman
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Postby SYN_Per » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:03 am

I'm away for holidays Blackie and will be back at my comp at the start of January.
I think you will need an ati ogl.dll file to be able to run in perfect mode and get the water to show proper.
I think I posted a link to one in our old archives.
Otherwise you can Google ati ogl.dll for Il2. I'm sure something will show.
Just put it in your games root directory.
SYN_Per
Syndicate Exec

Location: Sweden, Stockholm but preferably at the cottage. In the pavillion...

Postby SYN_Per » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:10 am

Check out the thread "Thursdays?" in the old archives. Linky to ogl file on page 2 of said thread.
SYN_Per
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_MrWolf » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:15 am

It removed it..
ALWAYS BE YOURSELF! UNLESS YOU CAN BE BATMAN. THEN ALWAYS BE BATMAN.
SYN_MrWolf
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Flashman » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:23 am

10 random tips for new IL2 jockeys. And they are just random...

1) True widescreen in game is not supported. There is a method using a third party program called Sans Il2 FOV changer but I can't get it to work in Win7... it was tempremental in XP! Shame because when it worked...it worked!

What am I blabbing about? In IL2 if you adjust the screen resolution in the conf.ini file to create widcreen, it just cuts the top and bottom off the normal picture, in other words with wide screen you actually see less than with a normal 4:3 view! This can be a slight disadvantage, especially in turn fights.

1b). Once you have set your screen resolution in the conf.ini file DO NOT modify the screen resolution in the game Video options. It will say 640 x 400 or something.. leave it alone!

2) Make a backup of your conf.ini file every now and then. It gets tweaked an awful lot.

3) You can only have 4 controllers installed. If you have more, it doesnt notice anthing after 4. (I have 6, two of which need to be unplugged before playing). If you do have more than 4, IL2 only reads the first 4 that Win7 recognises but it doesn't identify individual controllers. Simply put: Select which 4 of your sticks and pedals etc you want to use. Have ONLY those plugged into your machine and then assign controls. Every time you play IL2 have ONLY those controllers plugged in otherwise it goes tits up!

4) WIth force feedback controlers: If you alt-tab out in the middle of a flight, when you return your stick forces will be gone. The only way to get them back is to hit refly. i usually do this twice! You can alt-tab in and out of IL2 easily enough but it does cause this issue for FF users

5) I find if I have other windows open in the background (such as the interwebs or Teamspeak) it creates micro stutters in game. In short ensure they are minimised. You can run other stuff when IL2 is running, just have them minimised.

6) Only use Open GL as the video mode

7) For testing your various settings the best way is to play a track and have fraps turned on to watch your FPS. These are found in the Play Track parts of the main screen. Its become a 'standard' benchmark in the IL2 community to use the track called The Black Death. Its quite busy so to speak!

8) Quick mission builder is the best place for testing controls etc offline.

9) If you are new to IL2 and go online for aerial combat you will have your ass handed to you, even more so than in RoF. There are some proper experts out there who know the planes and the games kinks really well. Shooting someone down in IL2 is not easy. I mainly stick to ground pounding for that reason!

10) Auto pilot does not work online. Select Level Stabilizer (one of the first controls in the list). This only works for bombers in IL2. This means ONLY aircraft with bombsights. Eg the FB VI version of the mosquito does NOT have a level stabilizer, but the BIV version does. When in level stabilzer you can adjust your course slightly using Rudder Trim. You cannot do turns like in RoF.

Anyhoo, Im off to my parents for face food stuffing and chrimbo present action. Later ladies.
SYN_Flashman
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Postby SYN_Flashman » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:25 am

SYN_MrWolf wrote:http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=28663

Let's make it a bit more confusing for everyone. Version 4.11

No! do NOT get this yet, it will bugger up your mods!

Until its officially released AND the mod people have sorted it out I suggest leaving this alone. It looks good mind....

EDIT: Bugger, just read it more thoroughly... its just the guide not the patch itself!
SYN_Flashman
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Postby SYN_Per » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:05 pm

SYN_MrWolf wrote:It removed it..

Huh?
You having a Stephen King experience? :D
Use it if you have ati card. The link is working at least on my iPhone...
SYN_Per
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Jedders » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:59 pm

This is the link for RC4 update. This is the cumulative one that has previous versions in it.

http://ultrapack.il2war.com/index.php/t ... l#msg43814
SYN_Jedders
Site Admin

Postby SYN_MrWolf » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:04 pm

SYN_Per wrote:
SYN_MrWolf wrote:It removed it..

Huh?
You having a Stephen King experience? :D
Use it if you have ati card. The link is working at least on my iPhone...

:) I should at least once read my sentences before I submit it :) naaahh..who cares.
ALWAYS BE YOURSELF! UNLESS YOU CAN BE BATMAN. THEN ALWAYS BE BATMAN.
SYN_MrWolf
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Per » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:10 pm

Jed, just to be sure, please read this:

http://www.warbirdsofprey.org/index.php?topic=9984.0

If you want to be able to fly WoP.
SYN_Per
Syndicate Exec

PreviousNext

Return to IL2: Sturmovik: CloD and 1946