Syndicate Challenge Area Question

A place to discuss Vanders Co-op Mission format for Inter Squadron Wars

Moderator: SYN Exec

Syndicate Challenge Area Question

Postby WWGeezer » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:16 pm

I just re-registered here and read thru the descriptions of the Challenge Area. This is something that the WingWalkers squad might be interested in, likely by inviting one or two other squads to participate we could get to the 16 plus number.

1. Is the mission itself a true co-op or a dogfight mission?

2. If we have the 16 and want to schedule an event, how is the server run...does Syndicate put the server up for the event with a password or is it just open and running, first come first serve?

3. Is the mission itself available so we could give it a test run? We typically meet on Tuesday's at 6:00 Pacific and would like to try out the mission this week as a test run if it is available.

This looks like a nice format short of a full campaign for an intersquad event, would like to try it out.

Salute!
WWGeezer
WWGeezer

Re: Syndicate Challenge Area Question

Postby SYN_Vander » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:02 pm

Hi Geezer,

1. It's a coop mission. Everyone has to start at the same time.
2. We could host the event on our primary or second server, depending on the day/time and the amount of players needed. And yes, a password should be used.
3. Sure, I could send a sample mission. It's actually a set of missions so you don't have to do the same mission over and over again.
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby WWGeezer » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:19 pm

If you could send them to me that would be great. I know the squad is used to playing co-ops in Il2, but would like to re-introduce them to the style of mission and than do some organizing between a couple squads to set something up. Getting back to a mission style where dead is dead without committing to a whole campaign is something that would be good training for us.

do you prefer that this be done as a syndicate event or that we set it up on our own server?

I'm fine either way, just might be less work from your guys side if we used our own. If you prefer that we do it on your server, are there good times or bad times to do it?

As always thanks for the help!
WWGeezer

Postby SYN_Vander » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:50 pm

Oh it will be easier for us if you use your own server of course :)

Here are the missions:

Squadron Challenge (Coop).zip

The idea is that one challenge consists of two 1-hour missions. So to start with, you only need two missions. Please test first as some need some instruction on how to complete an objective. The artillery spotting for instance.
You might want to change the plane set, time of day, weather and re-save them under a different name to make different versions.
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby WWGeezer » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:44 pm

You're the Man!!! Thanks Vandy, we are well equipped to host this ourselves. Will post here once we try it out to let you know how it goes.
WWGeezer

Postby WWGeezer » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:55 am

Opened the Zip file and saw four versions of the missions

Central Offensive 01
Central Offensive 02
Central Offensive 03
Allied Offensive 03

Guessing the 03 mission is the "set" that would allow you to fly an hour with one side offensive and a second hour with the other side offensive.

I will dig into them a bit deeper to see if I'm getting it right.
WWGeezer

Postby WWGeezer » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:06 am

took a quick look at this in mission builder

Looks like at the end of mission it randomly points towards then other three missions, so if you flew Central Offensive than you would get randomly Entente Offensive but could be map 1, 2 or 3. I assume each mission runs that way. Unless I have all six missions should likely disable that.

Other thing I noticed is even though the files are numbers 01, 02, 03..the file name only says Central Offensive. Is this so when the map is loading you wouldn't be able to identify which version you where flying? ( or am i overthinking this?)

My first try running this it ran very slow, not sure if it is because there are so many objects. I will go into mission builder and resave it, and try it on the server, might do better there than on my machine.

Hope I don't sound like a pest, just digging into it a bit to try and understand how it works!
WWGeezer

Postby SYN_Vander » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:37 am

There should be six missions. If not, then I'll upload a new version tonight.

Yes, the name of the missionsis the same, so the player will not know what to expect.

About running slow: If you run this on your own, then all other player slots wil be filled by AI. Your computer will struggle to process that. That's why after 2-3 minutes all " excess" AI will get deleted. Then your computer or the server should be able to run the mission. Mind you, if you connect as a client the mission will not run slow, but you might see some warping during the first minutes. There is no other way around this yet I'm afraid.
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby WWGeezer » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:00 pm

Yeah it looks like four mission in the file

Thanks for explaining the slow start. I know the live pilots are eliminated if they do not take off in three minutes. Do the AI all fly or are they eliminated as well?
WWGeezer

Postby SYN_Vander » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:32 pm

The AI gets deleted, except for the first two AI flights (the two-seaters) I think. You should always occupy the first two-seater or you will never be able to accomplish the mission goal.

Two Allied Offensive missions are missing. I will upload again as soon as I get home.
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Next

Return to Syndicate Squadron Challenge Area