Skins once the templates are here

A place to discuss our Battle of Stalingrad server.

Moderator: SYN Exec

Skins once the templates are here

Postby Winger » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:51 am

Hi guys. As you know the Syndicate server is one of the servers that we (VSG1) play on tmost of the time. Thanks again for the server at this point!
I wanted to ask how you guys a planning on handling the custom skins once the viewer and the templates are here.
Since we would really love to fly with our squadron skins (one per pilot, a generic one and slightly divided by fighters and JaBos). Is there a possibility to have our skins available on your server?
Since the system will AFAIK not work like in ROF where everyone can download the skinpackages and install them or not i think it would have to be handeled server per server.
So if i wanted to fly on your server with my skin then you would have to make the skins available on your server. Or am i mistaken here?

Thanks for your feedback and again thanks for hosting the server!
Winger

Re: Skins once the templates are here

Postby SYN_Blackrat » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:33 am

Interesting, I think we will have to wait and see exactly how skins will be handled, if it is as simple as loading them into the server we can look at that, the only downside I can see is every pilot will have to download all the skins on the server at the time. I think this is why ROF did it that way so it is on the clients computer and not being downloaded affecting bandwidth and latency.

Rest assured if we can we will.
"They say that just before you die, your whole life flashes in front of you. Make sure it is worth watching."
SYN_Blackrat
Site Admin

Postby SYN_Bandy » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:45 am

I'm sure BoS squadron skins will work just like it does in RoF. Then again, with this unlock system, who knows... :???:

All aircraft textures reside on the client system, so if you or friends have the .dds in the proper folder, and each of you loads-out with your own squad skin, then all in the squad will see them. Your opponents will not, they will see a default skin. The only concession the SYN server mission maker has to do is not lock the skin load-out to historically available textures.

That said, when we offer our 'Vintage Missions' for RoF on Sundays for the past, oh 4 years, the skins ARE locked to historical offerings. I believe this helps with client performance since there are simply too many skins available and could easily swamp your vRAM. This will likely be repeated for the big weekly events for the same reasons.

Hope this makes sense.
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby Winger » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:46 am

Hi, thanks for the reply.
I guess youre right.

1. Every client will have to DL the skins
2. The server might have to have em ready

A servermessage and the supply of all "intended to be available" skins via your website might be the proper way.
The "approval" process we know from ROF would lie in your responsibility.

Some sort of "toll" for squadrons would be apropriate to compensate your effort.
I at least would gladly offer so support via toll if that would really be the way it has to run.

Winger
Winger

Postby Winger » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:48 am

@ Bandy. Makes sense. Wrote my last reply while you did yours. You were done fastwer - so:)
Winger

Postby SYN_Bandy » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:51 am

Again, with the unlock system [currently] in place, I really don't know how it will work. Let's wait for Haash or Vander to chime in, they likely know the exact answer for BoS.

RE: squad 'tolls'.
Meanwhile, don't let that stop you from supporting our server. We need all the help we can get, we're not independently wealthy people over here and annual costs are quite high.

Thank you.
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby Winger » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:58 pm

Ill donate. Dont worry:) December is an EVIL month. For me also. Argh. If only i start thinking about my balance i get sick:)
Winger

Postby SYN_Haashashin » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:01 pm

I don't have any clue of how it's going to be. My guess is that the skins will be client side, as in RoF, at least in not ranked servers(whatever this is). Hopefully custom skins can be locked server side alas RoF, when needed. We will have to wait to see what devs say.
SYN_Haashashin
Syndicate Exec

Return to SYNDICATE Server: Battle of Stalingrad