Joystick advice

Computers, joysticks, rudder pedals, DIY you can discuss it all here.

Moderator: SYN Exec

Joystick advice

Postby SYN_Ricky » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:52 am

As mentioned last night to those who were there, using my CH Fighterstick has become increasingly frustrating these last weeks, half of the time the joystick is not recognized even if I was able to load my mapping correctly. Then I often need to restart the computer without being sure if i'ts gonna work.

I think I figured out a correct procedure last night, but it's really annoying and any mistake will mean I'll have to reboot the PC, and with CH apparently having given up any kind of support, things look a bit grim. Quite a shame as the joystick itself is excellent and it's still showing no sign of fatigue after 10+ more years of use.

Repent told me that he doesn't use the software, unfortunately that's not an option for me as I only own the stick and I need to be able to map the shifted funtions in order to assign every function I need. I could buy the CH Throttle but the extra buttons would only replace what I loose by not having the shifted action mode on the stick alone, and seeing waht the situation is with CH Products, I'm not to keen on buying another of their products.

So I'm starting to look for a possible replacement, I really haven't followed the news on joysticks and was wondering you guys recommend and/or use.
SYN_Ricky
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Re: Joystick advice

Postby SYN_Repent » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:51 pm

Ricky, i have a speedlink airrow sitting around doing nothing, its a good stick, quite precise and accurate, just lacks hat switches and buttons, maybe i can help you with the ch fighterstick though, cos as you say, it is a great stick, i love it and have no issues at all.

If i was to buy a new stick now? virpil maybe, but quite expensive
SYN_Repent
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Mugue » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:24 pm

I was going to suggest a throttle quadrant(levers are nice to have) and/or maybe a button box.(since you still like your current stick, just not the software that goes with it)
I've got some 'Derek Spears' button boxes that very I'm happy with. http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/index.html (If you're handy you could make something like them for much cheaper I think.)

Thrustmaster Warthog is pretty good kit too. Lots of buttons between the stick and throttle...Though the stick might take a couple of minutes to get used to after your CH stick. The feel is very different imho. And a lot of the switches aren't momentary switches. So things can be a bit funky... Of course, not cheap, but you get a super nice throttle. And the software works, if you need it.(if you can figure it out)
"Billy Pilgrim has come unstuck in time."
SYN_Mugue
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_MrWolf » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:36 pm

I am very happy with my warthog. No regrets here. I really like the precision of the stick.

Also own the speedlink airrow which I really liked. It all depends on your budget I guess.
ALWAYS BE YOURSELF! UNLESS YOU CAN BE BATMAN. THEN ALWAYS BE BATMAN.
SYN_MrWolf
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Vander » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:32 pm

Looks like you don't need a new stick but a throttle or a button box!

I have a CH (f16?) throttle lying around that I got when I bought a 2nd hand fighter stick. I could send it to you for the postage costs only if you are interested?

I'm also looking for a true high-end quality stick. I would buy the Warthog in an instant if it wasn't for the " sticktion" issues I keep reading about. I tried to order the Virpil Warbrd + Grip last week but when I was at the payment page it was already sold out!!!!!!!
In any case, I just can't fly the Camel or Dr1 without a severe curve on my current stick, so I really need a solution before Flying Circus gets real. Maybe go back to my home-built one ;)
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Ricky » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:47 am

Thanks guys for all your replies and kind offers!

Trying to use the CH throttle could be a great idea Vander, and I'm ready to pay more than just the postage though, I was just not eager to pay full price for it without being sure if it would work as intended!

Warthog looks very nice, could be an idea but unfortunately I cannot afford it right now, but I'll keep it in mind if I cannot find a workaround for my actual stick.

...maybe i can help you with the ch fighterstick though, cos as you say, it is a great stick, i love it and have no issues at all.

Thx Rep, my feeling is that it seems it's a USB related problem. When I plug the stick, I actually hear twice the Windows sound of an USB device being plugged.

And I noticed that when downloading the mapping via the software, it sometimes plays the sound as if you were unplugging the device, and then of course it won't work in game afterwards.

When this happens, when you go back in the software, you get grey buttons and can't even scan to try and detect it. Trying to calibrate/detect will cause the software to hang up. On a forum someone was giving the advice to try and use a powered USB hub, dunno if that could help.
SYN_Ricky
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Postby SYN_Repent » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:30 pm

i hear the 2 plugged/unplugged noises with my ch pedals ricky, and sometimes, i have to unplug/plug them in again to get them to detect, but very rarely.

are you running windows 10? up to date mobo drivers?
SYN_Repent
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Vander » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:53 pm

Hi Ricky, I'll test the throttle this weekend, just to be sure (never used it) and then I can send it to you. Drop me a pm for your postal address.
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Return to Hardware