Windows 10

Computers, joysticks, rudder pedals, DIY you can discuss it all here.

Moderator: SYN Exec

Re: Windows 10

Postby SYN_Bandy » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:58 pm

Anyone care to comment on their Win10 install now after a few months? Is it everything you expected and more from an OS? How about it's size/footprint on the drive (bloat?), features (added/lost?), performance (boot and software)?

More and more it seems that the early reports of improved gaming performance are not living up to expectations, but thought I'd ask here because, you know, I trust you guys more. :cool:

http://www.maximumpc.com/windows-10-but-what-about-performance/
We compared graphics performance between Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 with our standard benchmarks. The results? Meh. ...

This might explain why I could not install the Win10 beta or early release either, I never thought and could find no solution posted at the time...
There's something to note here about Windows 10: It didn't like that we had our SSD set to PCI mode instead of SATA mode. While Windows 7 and 8.1 installed to the M.2 SSD in PCI mode just fine, the Windows 10 installer choked on two attempts.

http://www.techspot.com/review/1042-windows-10-vs-windows-8-vs-windows-7/page6.html
After watching near-identical results pour in on most tests, from application to encoding, to storage and gaming, it's hard to read too much into results as there are many variables we can't control.
We can ensure that the operating systems were evaluated using the exact same hardware, benchmarking software and methodology. However, we can't ensure that something such as GPU drivers didn't cause variations in performance. ...
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Blackrat » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:07 pm

I have had it installed as an upgrade on one machine for 3 months with no major problems, cannot say I have seen any advantages so far, but two days ago I did a fresh install on my gaming machine with a new SSD, haven't really found it much quicker other than the Samsung Evo 500Gb drive is pretty swift, but it is early days and I need to have a tweak. My biggest fear was software compatibility but so far so good, the enforced updates is a good thing IMO and it should only start to download if your machine is idle, it always asks to install, but you can control this my checking the on a metered access I think.

It gives an option to utilise other PCs on your LAN for updates too rather than downloading again.

I would be confident in saying go ahead and upgrade if you want to have a look see, no harm came to either machine doing that, also for 3 months after you upgrade it keeps a backup of your original install so you can revert, after three months it deletes it.

If all goes well with my gaming machine I intend to do a fresh install on my office machine too.

One thing confusing me is sometimes it says I don't have the rights to perform an action on a file, not sure what is happening there, but I need to do more research as to why. After the fresh install it was taking ages to boot but now it is about 15 seconds from cold start to getting a mouse cursor on my screen if I can enter the password quickly.
"They say that just before you die, your whole life flashes in front of you. Make sure it is worth watching."
SYN_Blackrat
Site Admin

Postby SYN_Bandy » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:14 pm

Thanks for super speedy post!
SYN_Blackrat wrote:... two days ago I did a fresh install on my gaming machine with a new SSD, haven't really found it much quicker other than the Samsung Evo 500Gb drive is pretty swift, but it is early days and I need to have a tweak.
After the fresh install it was taking ages to boot but now it is about 15 seconds from cold start to getting a mouse cursor on my screen if I can enter the password quickly. ...

A 15 sec boot time seems a bit long for a SSD, unless you have some background stuff lined up/booting via the start-up menu. I'll have to time the boot of my pared-down Win7 gaming system.

SYN_Blackrat wrote:...One thing confusing me is sometimes it says I don't have the rights to perform an action on a file, not sure what is happening there, but I need to do more research as to why.

I'm assuming you mean 'Office' Word or Excel files? I'm also seeing that nasty bug at work, but we're running Win7, so I suggest it is something to do with MS Office rather than the OS... It is a real PITA... :???:
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Lt_Dan » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:35 pm

Mine ran like shit when I did the upgrade form 7 to 10 but once I installed it from fresh on my pc its been a dream
SYN_Lt_Dan
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Postby SYN_Bandy » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:15 pm

How did you by-pass the upgrade? Did you buy a copy? Was thinking about that myself.
I see Win10 OEM 64bit pro selling for around a $130 on sale at Newegg right now.
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Lt_Dan » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:48 pm

After a few weeks games were crashing and the pc would just blue screen out of no where. So I used an option that's in the settings to called Rest this pc witch deletes every thing on the hard drive and reinstalls windows 10 :grin: That was months ago and I've not had one problem since :wink:
SYN_Lt_Dan
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Postby SYN_Blackrat » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:57 am

I did read that now when installing win 10 as a fresh install the win7/8 keys now activate it, but you may want to research that again. If you have already upgraded it will recognise your computer anyway, so i have until July next year to upgrade my PC and have a free version of Windows 10, after that you gotta pay.
"They say that just before you die, your whole life flashes in front of you. Make sure it is worth watching."
SYN_Blackrat
Site Admin

Postby SYN_Vander » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:03 pm

I have now upgraded my home network to Win 10: one laptop, one Alienware desktop en two home-built game-PC's. Everything is fine as far as I can tell.
I'm still contemplating if I want to upgrade the dedicated server as well; not sure how long it will last anyaway....Maybe I'll just do it to keep the Windows license!
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Bandy » Wed May 18, 2016 11:27 am

BEWARE!

I know some of you are not interested in upgrading to Win10 yet, so you need to know that MS has changed the Win10 update to recommended, see here: http://www.computerworld.com/article/3070460/windows-pcs/microsoft-makes-final-aggressive-windows-10-upgrade-push.html?token=%23tk.CTWNLE_nlt_computerworld_dailynews_2016-05-16&idg_eid=3b583fb627dea943354256cf87ff6610&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Computerworld%20Wrap-Up%202016-05-16&utm_term=computerworld_dailynews#tk.CW_nlt_%20computerworld_dailynews_2016-05-16

If you click on the red X in the upper right to close the update window (see below, what else can you do?), it's already too late, you've accepted the update to Win10 and it will install the next time you boot. Read the article, and even some of the comments (this time) clarify aspects of how this has come to pass.

You need to TURN OFF 'RECOMMENDED' UPDATE SETTINGS ASAP, though I suspect it may be too late if you are using the recommended setting. I only use Win7 for gaming, so not making the leap-of-faith to 10 given what I perceive as rather shady EULA terms as to what MS wants to do with your computer.

Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Previous

Return to Hardware