Windows 10

Computers, joysticks, rudder pedals, DIY you can discuss it all here.

Moderator: SYN Exec

Re: Windows 10

Postby SYN_Blackrat » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:21 pm

Interesting, but I will always use a custom install, as for this advertising shit, what is that all about? Do you get a choice about IE or not? Here we have to install IE if we want it, MS has to give us a choice.
"They say that just before you die, your whole life flashes in front of you. Make sure it is worth watching."
SYN_Blackrat
Site Admin

Postby SYN_Blackrat » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:07 pm

SYN_Vander wrote:Same here, but both are OEM in my case. I guess they are not doing it all at once?

Just worked this out Vander, you need to have Internet Explorer 11 installed for the upgrade up to appear, just did that and now it appears on this machine too. Read into that what you will :lol:
"They say that just before you die, your whole life flashes in front of you. Make sure it is worth watching."
SYN_Blackrat
Site Admin

Postby SYN_Bandy » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:59 am

OK, I've tried the beta install twice over 7.1 using the online 'Windows Update' path and both times Win10 worked immediately afterwards (I was able to assign speakers/headset, start up RoF for example...) BUT after first boot an endless reboot cycle occurred with the error message appearing in between: "Preparing Automatic Repair".

I suspect something is missing from my 7.1 install, as I have not done all optional Win updates. Apparently this is a common problem with 8/8.1 and requires boot install media to repair.

So, I'm going to try a repair of that broken Win10 install, or just another install over Win7 this time, using the available Win10 ISO file. I've stumbled upon a very detailed tutorial on the subject if interested, though I'm thinking you may have to have a M$ account to view their forum, SO I made a .docx document (to preserve links) and have uploaded for your download...
https://www.mediafire.com/?eoyycrdb8gag9a6

The original website, if interested...
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-upgrade-from-previous-versions-of-windows/31722b30-1da9-42bb-b331-0edc4649bf43

The ISO install path is relatively straightforward, you need a 4+ GB USB drive as install medium, or DVD, but there are some points to be aware of that could hang things up, so read that docx or thread linked above. I'm thinking this may be useful info when it comes time for you to update, as having an Win10 ISO disc will allow you to repair and reinstall as required -- don't rely only on the online update path. :roll:
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Vander » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:10 pm

SYN_Blackrat wrote:
SYN_Vander wrote:Same here, but both are OEM in my case. I guess they are not doing it all at once?

Just worked this out Vander, you need to have Internet Explorer 11 installed for the upgrade up to appear, just did that and now it appears on this machine too. Read into that what you will :lol:

Thanks for the tip! I always use Chrome, so that might be it.....
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Vander » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:30 am

Since Windows 10 is officially released now...who has taken the plunge? Please share experiences, problems fixes etc. My upgrade(s) are still queued so I'll wait for the official announcement before install. Then I have to upgrade 3 desktops, 1 server and 2 laptops.... :roll:

This seems like a useful link if you are concerned about the privacy aspects: https://fix10.isleaked.com/
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Blackrat » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:59 am

I will probably sit on this for a while until the bugs are ironed out and we can see what if any the privacy issues are, I am concerned that this is all going to go commercial and you will receive advertisements within windows targeted at your profile, starting to get a bit paranoid again.
SYN_Blackrat
Site Admin

Postby SYN_Per » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:27 am

I did the upgrade. Smoothest one ever. Not a hitch.
Windows seems a little "leaner" when operating. Start up is even faster than earlier. Concerning privacy issues you can turn much of the crap off.
SYN_Per
Syndicate Exec

Location: Sweden, Stockholm but preferably at the cottage. In the pavillion...

Postby SYN_Blackrat » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:43 am

Cheers Per,

Thinking about it I will probably upgrade my office machine first, the gaming machine has software which needs to be proven win10 compatable still so will await that.
SYN_Blackrat
Site Admin

Postby SYN_Bandy » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:15 am

SYN_Per wrote:... Windows seems a little "leaner" when operating. Start up is even faster than earlier. ....

Hopefully it is "leaner" when operating, though I'm not sure about its size on disc. When I updated with the beta it appeared just from a quick look that with '10' on my HD roughly 20 GB of free space was taken up. Wonder if that includes temp install files and/or restore point (which I had limited size allocated on the 7 install), so hopefully some of that gets recovered.

A quick search reveals some details: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/03/windows-10-shaves-off-gigabytes-with-selective-system-file-compression/

With the Windows 8.1 Update, Microsoft shrank the Windows 8.1 install footprint to make it suitable for low-cost tablets with just 16GB of permanent storage, a reduction from the 32GB generally required for Windows 8. Windows 10 will shrink the disk footprint further, potentially freeing as much as 6.6GB of space on OEM preinstalls.

Microsoft describes two sources of savings. The first is the re-use of a time-honored technique that fell out of fashion as hard drives grew larger and larger: per-file compression.

The NTFS filesystem used in Windows has long allowed individual files and folders to be compressed, reducing their on-disk size at the expense of a small processor overhead when reading them. With spinning disks getting so large as to feel almost unlimited, per-file compression felt like a relic from a bygone age by the mid-2000s. But with the rise of solid state storage and ultra-cheap devices with just a handful of gigabytes available, per-file compression has gained a new lease on life.

When installing Windows 10 from scratch, it will assess the system's performance to figure out if the system processor is fast enough that it can decompress system files without any noticeable performance impact.
In total, Microsoft reckons that compression can save 1.5GB on 32-bit systems and 2.6GB on 64-bit ones.

Perhaps win10 OS files had not yet been compressed on my beta install? As mentioned above, all of my attempts to install 10 resulted in endless-loop boot failures, so I never went further.
32 GB for Win 8??? Gawd... :shock:
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Bandy » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:33 am

I'm sure all of you regularly backup your OS install in the case of HD catastrophe, or some update or software install failure/incompatibility. I never rely on Win restore points, they have let me down on numerous occasions.

Here is perhaps a helpful article for some. If you are going to try 10, then make sure you have a bootable clone of your current working OS to fall back on. http://www.howtogeek.com/197647/how-to-dual-boot-windows-10-with-windows-7-or-8/

I got a copy of Casper from work http://www.fssdev.com/products/casper/ but there are a variety of options out there, Acronic true image, Clonezilla, etc.
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware