Windows 10

Computers, joysticks, rudder pedals, DIY you can discuss it all here.

Moderator: SYN Exec

Re: Windows 10

Postby SYN_Blackrat » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:23 pm

I must say I have never done that Bandy, all my documents are backed up daily and kept on a separate HDD to the OS anyway, it takes a few weeks to get it all back but it is like having a new computer after reinstalling Windows :grin: however my office computer only has a 125gb SSD so I will probably treat it to a new SSD which will have the win10 install and I can see if it will work with my Win 7 key.
"They say that just before you die, your whole life flashes in front of you. Make sure it is worth watching."
SYN_Blackrat
Site Admin

Postby SYN_Vander » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:00 pm

Me too. I have my documents on a NAS and separate backup. Most of my games are on Steam or are at least online anyway. I don't backup my PC as such....
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Bandy » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:19 pm

SYN_Vander wrote:... I don't backup my PC as such....

To each his own, there are many paths to enlightenment, and more than one way to skin a cat!
Regardless, whoever said they are waiting till the bugs get shook out is likely following a smart plan...

Microsoft tells some Insiders to stop using Windows 10 preview
http://www.computerworld.com/article/2973453/microsoft-windows/microsoft-tells-some-insiders-to-stop-using-windows-10-preview.html?phint=newt%3Dcomputerworld_dailynews&phint=idg_eid%3D3b583fb627dea943354256cf87ff6610#tk.CTWNLE_nlt_pm_2015-08-19
Microsoft released Windows 10 build 10525 to its Insiders preview participants Tuesday, restarting the early-look program after a four-week hiatus while it pushed the production code to users.

With the resumption of Windows 10 builds to testers, Microsoft has told users they may not have the right to run the software and again begun marking copies with small watermarks. ...
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Bandy » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:28 pm

Some insight into rumours surrounding Win 10 'features', or, security/privacy risks? Take the following as you will...

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2975004/microsoft-windows/4-overblown-windows-10-worries.html?phint=newt%3Dcomputerworld_dailynews&phint=idg_eid%3D3b583fb627dea943354256cf87ff6610#tk.CTWNLE_nlt_dailyam_2015-08-25

An example of content addressed...
It's true that if you have the Windows 10 Home edition, you don't have a choice about installing Windows 10 updates -- Microsoft sends them and your system installs them. But if you have Windows 10 Pro, you do have a choice -- you can defer updates for up to several months. Start by selecting Settings / Update & security / Windows Update / Advanced options. Underneath "Choose how updates are installed" check the box next to "Defer upgrades." Any updates will be deferred for several months, after which time they'll be installed by Windows 10. The advantage to this approach is that, if there is a problematic update, it will be fixed by the time it is installed on your system. Exceptions are security updates, which will be installed without delay.
As Microsoft points out in its FAQ titled Windows Update Delivery Optimization, when you get a Windows update or download an app from the Windows Store, the entire file -- or parts of it -- might be delivered from another PC rather than from a Microsoft server. And your computer, in turn, might send updates and apps to other systems. ... The peer-to-peer feature is turned on by default in Windows 10, but you can turn it off entirely, or tweak it so that you get updates this way but don't deliver them to others.
Most of the fears have to do with Windows 10's default privacy settings, created during the installation if you use the express install option. With those default options, Windows 10 will send your calendar and contact details to Microsoft; assign you an advertising ID that can track you on the Internet and, when using Windows apps, track your location; and send your keystrokes and voice input to Microsoft. All in all, it sounds like a privacy-lover's worst nightmare. ... Let's face it -- every time you use a computer, you're living with trade offs between your privacy and getting things done more easily. It's true that the privacy defaults in Windows 10 tilt things away from protecting your privacy. But if you don't like it, there's plenty you can do about it by changing your privacy settings.

As pointed out by one commenter...
And if you have Win 10 Home premium, after you reboot after the [problem update] uninstall, the problem update will immediately reinstall. And that assumes the bad update didn't trash your computer so badly it doesn't even boot for you to be able to DO the uninstall. And once you restore your system, the bad update will install AGAIN.

Have to admit, which one of us doesn't have some old peripherals still in use that could be rendered obsolete by a problem update? My Canon photoprinter is 2006 era and still serves me very well, not to mention my FFB Pro joystick. Chances are these will continue to be viable, but I tend to be an unlucky person in this regard... :lol:
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Mugue » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:39 pm

I have to admit, the more I read about this OS the less likely I am to EVER install it. Even though it's free, no sale.

Things like, sneaking peer to peer stuff in it to take the load off their own servers seems low down to me. Are they planning on paying me for the use of my computer and internet connection...(I didn't thinks so.) Fuck off Microsoft! :evil: Try again.
"Billy Pilgrim has come unstuck in time."
SYN_Mugue
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Vander » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:35 am

SYN_Mugue wrote:....Things like, sneaking peer to peer stuff in it to take the load off their own servers seems low down to me...

You mean as in BoS? :lol:
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Mugue » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:51 pm

Yes, just like Bos. :lol: But at least in BoS they put it right out in the open on the programs startup page. :wink:
MS called their "WinX torrent" a critical/important update to Win7. Instead it should have been labeled optional. Very Poor Form.
And now I'm left having to turn auto update off, and forced to go through all updates with a fine toothed comb to stop them from slipping it back in. My other peeve is why they can't put a simple title on the updates on what they're about..."This update fixes potential problems" is NOT a description!

Anyway...
DX12 is all that I see in this thing that might have any real/potential value to me. But how long before any games will actually use it? And why can't Win7 use it(DX12) too, anyone know?
"Billy Pilgrim has come unstuck in time."
SYN_Mugue
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Vander » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:28 pm

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... zation-faq

Well it's actually not that bad since you can decide not to share over internet, but you can share over LAN. Not a bad option since I have multiple Windows machine in my house :).
But I agree, it's bad form to turn this on by default....
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Bandy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:43 pm

Yes, too bad they went with these default settings, it's been a public relations quagmire, and made M$ look an even bigger BIG Brother, though admittedly, this is status quo for so many other apps, Apple, etc...

Just for reference, though am sure all the server gurus here can do this blind folded.
how-to-reclaim-your-privacy-in-windows-10-piece-by-piece
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2971725/windows/how-to-reclaim-your-privacy-in-windows-10-piece-by-piece.html
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Vander » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:55 pm

I posted this earlier in case you missed it. I'm guessing it's all the same?

https://fix10.isleaked.com/
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware