Should I get a G-Sync 1440p monitor?

Computers, joysticks, rudder pedals, DIY you can discuss it all here.

Moderator: SYN Exec

Re: Should I get a 1440p monitor?

Postby SYN_Blackrat » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:48 pm

SYN_Bandy wrote:Looking forward to the 'impartial review' then.

:cool:

Hehe, well took me all afternoon to take out the 30 inch dell, sort my triple mount out for 2 monitors and install the 27 inch lining it all up/

I was a bit worried as the box said Rev0 but the monitor said Rev3, the box still had a seal intact but there were marks where the cables had been taken out, maybe testing at the factory? Also there was rub marks on the base and upright of the stand from the box, not something you would normally notice unless a bit OCD. I am not using the stand so did a bit of digging my monitor was made in Aug 2016 and despatched Oct 2016 which is where the warranty starts. As all things Dell whoever buys it, reseller or owner, thats when the warranty starts.

Anyhow, it really is a thing of beauty, very thin edge bezels, trade mark Dell anti glare coat, and very bright out of the box.

After my IPS monitors the colours are not quite there and the Gamma is too bright, I have quickly grabbed a profile from TFT central and used their settings with a touch more red, doesn't look very vibrant on the desktop, but then I have been using very vibrant settings on my previous monitors, may have to break out my calibration Spyder and set it up properly.

So, I didn't buy it for my photographic work or Photoshop work, well I did as it frees up my IPS panel for that on the other computer, I bought it for gaming.

I have been using Acer 24 inch Gsync screens for over a year, really noticed the slow response time on the IPS panel last week, so I just ran a couple of benchmark missions in Arma3 at 1440, yep, that does the trick 1440 beats 1080 hands down and with Gysnc smooth as you like, no stutter or flicker. Colours like fine too in game, just ran my Iracing replays, again great detail and natural looking colours, looked so good its tempting to buy two more and drop the rift :lol: but I would miss the 3D.

Hopefully I will give IL2 BOS a try soon and see what that is like.

No dead pixels as expected from Dell, the company I bought it from have a policy of any dead pixels they will replace it, throughout the 3 year warranty period.

Bottom line, the blacks are not black out of the box, but I knew that due to the factory gamma, I don't play with the light out and rarely with a dark screen. Response time and Gsync on initial quick try out seem very good, better than my old Gsync monitors I think.

Satisfied with my purchase so far.
"They say that just before you die, your whole life flashes in front of you. Make sure it is worth watching."
SYN_Blackrat
Site Admin

Postby SYN_Bandy » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:38 pm

Many thanks Blackie, I read much the same about that monitor the pro's and con's. As you know there is a bit of an uphill battle compensating for the gamma, apparently it cannot be reset in OSD. Let us know if you resolve that in particular.

Not meaning to steal your thunder, but tee, hee, hee, you'll never guess what I did.

My wife'll flip if she knows I stepped out of the house b/c I'm still recovering from flu (my temp was 102 Monday night, likely was higher on Sunday), but was getting stir crazy inside for 3 days now so went to Costco for petrol. :roll: They had the Acer Predator XB271HU ips-panel so I brought it home after finding out they were willing to take back my Dell 27" 1440p at original cost. That defo made the price palatable, I'll barely pay anything extra.

I would have preferred to order the ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q from Costco online https://www.costco.com/Asus-ROG-Swift-PG279Q-27%22-WQHD-IPS-Backlit-Monitor-.product.100306998.html but it is well over $100 more, and besides, I would have had to wait for it...

Haven't even opened the box yet, but more later. Could be in for real disappointment given some of the Acer QC issues I've read about, but Costco is 15 min away...
Also with nearly zero bezel, not sure how to get a stable TIR mount now.

EDIT: Unpacking, assembly, replacing all came together quicker than I'd have thought, even dusted some. Then again, I don't have as many gizmos as Blackie to move about, and he doesn't keep his hardware around long enough to gather dust :grin:

One well-worn critique of this Acer product line is the stand, how it looks, the stability, etc. Have to admit the red feet are not a feature I would look for (anymore than cooling fans with LEDs) but once on the desk you really don't notice them. The stand defo could be better designed, but it is functional, and I suspect some of the reviewers' stability issues arise from those who didn't tighten a certain set-screw. I also took the base apart and tightened it all up before assembly.

One of the selling features is the narrow bezel, it is literally only 2-3 mm and ideal for multi-display set ups. But I won't be doing that, and I actually prefer a wider bezel to provide blackness around the image. The monitor is, and image just seems, smaller. G-sync works like a charm, no fuss, one box to click in the CP AFAIK.

Another critique is light bleed, which will always happen to some degree with IPS panels. I must be lucky, this one does not have a nasty bleed imbalance with more at one corner. The gamma was too bright and the hue shifts the whites a bit to the yellow side, but with time and adjustment all will be well I hope.

Which brings me to the OSD (on screen display) adjustments. They are not great at all, in fact they remind me of my first 19" LCD over 10 years old now, I think it came from Russia EGN brand (es good nough). This is unforgivable given what is available from other manufacturers, and one of the reasons I would have gone with the ASUS if it was in the store. But it wasn't, and I saved some money to buy several more games. The way I look at it, I'll suffer setting it up, there are 3 profiles that can be saved and swapped, then I can forget about ever having to do it, until the next time.

BEWARE!
HERE are links to external calibrated icc profiles, your mileage may vary though panel by panel. The TFT Central website Blackie mentioned did not have a XB271HU profile, but did for models with similar model numbers, so beware. Many on other forums refer people to the TFT Central website, but to wrong model for this monitor! This link should meet your needs...
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/5fmg81/acer_predator_xb271hu_high_accuracy_calibration/

take this for what you will...
It appears that the GTX 770 max Pixel Clock speed (530mhz) is not fast enough to run the required 587mhz on the Acer XB217HU at 144hz. For reference the Pixel Clock requirements of the XB271HU at 2560x1440@120hz is 497.75mhz.
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Blackrat » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:30 pm

:lol: :lol:

Yep that was on my list too, looks like a great monitor, but 4ms response time and TBH extra money for IPS was not something I wanted to pay, but is sounds like you got the sale of the century there, I too would have snapped it up.

You will love Gsync thats for sure.

GWS, sound like you had what I was suffering with for a few weeks.
"They say that just before you die, your whole life flashes in front of you. Make sure it is worth watching."
SYN_Blackrat
Site Admin

Postby SYN_Bandy » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:14 pm

SYN_Blackrat wrote::lol: :lol: ...

You will love Gsync thats for sure.

Already loving it! Arma is all cleared up, played with the fella's tonight for a few minutes. Still suck, but what's new, LOL. I can say I was mesmerized by the smooth render.
It's well worth the premium, IMHO, if you need to replace a monitor and already run Nvidia card. But gotta know prices going to go down.

SYN_Blackrat wrote:GWS, sound like you had what I was suffering with for a few weeks.

Am sure it is flu, and I even had a flu shot this year. Still have a low grade fever tonight, so AFAIK am infectious. Guess I'll be home again tomorrow.
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Blackrat » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:27 am

SYN_Bandy wrote:Guess I'll be home again tomorrow.

...and I am working all week as someone took the week off at short notice :oops: may have a chance this afternoon though after I try calibrating the monitor. need to try it in Arma.
SYN_Blackrat
Site Admin

Postby SYN_Bandy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:54 pm

You might initially be confused by this: why is Vsync “On” by default for all games in the NVIDIA Control Panel, even though we told you to turn it off in your games?

The Vsync option in the NVIDIA Control Panel is a special type of G-Sync-aware VSync, which only kicks in at high framerates. NVIDIA has optimized this to work well with G-Sync. The Vsync option in your games is the more traditional type, which is best left off.

In short, the rule is: Leave VSync enabled in the NVIDIA Control Panel, but disable it from within games. Only disable it for an individual games in the NVIDIA Control Panel if you really need to reduce input latency as much as possible.
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Previous

Return to Hardware