PC caput

Computers, joysticks, rudder pedals, DIY you can discuss it all here.

Moderator: SYN Exec

Re: PC caput

Postby SYN_Blackrat » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:39 pm

Just make sure its cooling, your CPU fan is turning, the heat sink is not clogged with dust etc.
"They say that just before you die, your whole life flashes in front of you. Make sure it is worth watching."
SYN_Blackrat
Site Admin

Postby SYN_Haashashin » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:14 am

All checked Blackie,

Still getting radmon freezes at start up and blue screen if I dare to play a game. Will change the HD and hope for the best.

Thanks all.
SYN_Haashashin
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Mugue » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:52 pm

This is beginning to sound like a video card issue to me, more than a HD problem. Good luck Haash!
"Billy Pilgrim has come unstuck in time."
SYN_Mugue
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Haashashin » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:06 pm

SYN_Mugue wrote:This is beginning to sound like a video card issue to me, more than a HD problem. Good luck Haash!

It can be Mugue, agree. But the HD is cheaper than a new GPU :lol: Step by step I will try and build a new PC in the process..if I can afford it :lol:
SYN_Haashashin
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Blackrat » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:08 pm

Well if the mobo or CPU has a built in GPU run with that to rule out the graphic card issue?
"They say that just before you die, your whole life flashes in front of you. Make sure it is worth watching."
SYN_Blackrat
Site Admin

Postby SYN_Bandy » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:48 am

Well, I suppose there is some reason for that onboard chip after all. Though I'm stupid that way, usually have an old card around anyways, or access to bring one home.

Good luck Haash!
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Haashashin » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:54 pm

I dont even now if it has a GPU integrated but the newest part of the PC is 5 years old. I ruled out the HD since it still happens with a new one.

I guess a new PC is on the line as of now...CPU is 6years old, GPU 5 years...It's outdated anyways.

Now time to find a good place to buy the different hardware needed :grin:
SYN_Haashashin
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Bandy » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:05 pm

Well, I suppose it really depends on what is "under the hood" of your system. Mine is close to those years now (will have to see when), but with overclock to 4.4 GHz I'm pretty sure I'm not bottlenecking the CPU too much, and a new GPU and I'm still good for a while.

But your problems sound more serious, perhaps cracked motherboard, so yes, you might as well start over.

Happy days!
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Haashashin » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:34 pm

Since I cant find what happens and Im sure its something hardware related and maybe is the motherboard since I didn't over lock the CPU cus I will be extra refrig for it. So yeah Bandy,I was thinking about upgrading, it's not the best moment but it has to be done.

I been looking around. I can save the Ram from this PC since is DDR4 but this is what I'm looking at:

- Motherboard: Gigabyte B150M.D3H 4DDR4 64GB VGA+DVI+HDMI
- CPU: Intel 115 I7 6700 4GHz
-GPU: GTX 970 DDR5 4GB
- Power Supply: Tacens Radix VII 800W
- SSD: Kingston SSD SV300 120GB SATA3
- HDD: Toshiba HDD 3.5 1 TB 32 MB Sata3 7200RPM (already bought)
- Soundblaster audigy fx

And a fancy case for all of it :lol:

Thoughts?? Recommendations??

@Vander I will have some pieces you may want for the server PC ;)
SYN_Haashashin
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Bandy » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:02 am

Just some thoughts, though no hardware guru here. You'll likely get a variety of opinions and strategies for getting most out of your cash, so go with what makes sense to you. Instead of buying everything new (I know it is natural to want this) but if you are on a budget, try to get just what you need and then make sure it is good stuff, rather than compromise because of overall budget. Work towards that great system rather than all-at-once and not satisfied.

RE: sound card: pass on the Soundblaster card unless you have it left over from old system. Onboard sound is just fine, so is the onboard network card. Spend savings on another SSD or upgrade another component...

RE: GTX 970 what is the price difference with a 970 Ti ? Just FYI, the next generation architecture nvidia GPU's are just around the corner (they always are), you may get a better bargain on last gen GPU when they come out. Can your current GPU last till then? What is it?

RE: Intel i7 what is the price difference with a K chip that can be easily overclocked when it comes time? Make your hardware more productive by overclocking it the last few years. An aftermarket CPU cooler can be as low as $30 but still do everything it needs to, when it comes time. Lots of advice online about matching the mobo with the chipset to ease overclocking. I do not know any details here, check overclock forums, those guys live for that. I've OC'd GPU's all the time, and CPU is easier than I thought as long as you don't get greedy.

RE: PSU this is one piece you do not want to get a bargain brand. I've never heard of Tacens Radix, maybe just European? Out of the Balkans? 800 W is a nice size though. Read LOTS of reviews, get at least a silver or gold rate, they will last longer and provide more power over time. GPU output declines over time.

RE: SSD 120 GB is too big for just OS and too small for all your games. You'll end up needing a second drive just for games, and then perhaps only put favourite games on the 120, OR just buy a bigger SSD right away or two of the 120 GB's. They have come down in price quite a bit, just read reviews on brand/model. Ahhh, I see the TB HDD now, good for storage/backup.

Maybe your old case will be fine for now? And don't get any tattoos for a while...
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware