PC caput

Computers, joysticks, rudder pedals, DIY you can discuss it all here.

Moderator: SYN Exec

Re: PC caput

Postby SYN_Blackrat » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:15 am

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/s6mCsY

or

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/V3jn3C

Do you really need an I7? If it is primarily gaming an I5 is plenty.

SSD 250GB min will allow Windows 10 and 3 or 4 big games.

Onboard sound is pretty good now a days.

DDR4? Are you sure, I suspect it is DDR 3 as that is what the mobo you have selected uses, I think most 1151 socket boards use DDR4 now.

The cooler there will allow you to overclock later, its great bang for the buck if a little fiddly to fit.

ITYM 980ti Bandy? It is twice the price of a 970.

Haash not sure if that PCpartpicker is available in Spain but it gives you a good idea of power requirements compatibility and prices. A more expensive mobo will maybe give you better sound, better overclock facility/stability more USB ports etc. Personally I have an affiliation with Asus mobos but I overclock to the max and sort of know their BIOS.

You can reuse your old case or if not think about cooling/dust filters, not sure if you have Aircon?
"They say that just before you die, your whole life flashes in front of you. Make sure it is worth watching."
SYN_Blackrat
Site Admin

Postby SYN_Bandy » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:11 am

970Ti Ooops! It was late when I posted... :roll:

Just FYI: I bought a case with air filters (have cat at home, two if you include my wife) and found the filters themselves (just a fine mesh really) restricted airflow to the point that my GPU was overheating, a 560Ti with an Artic cooler added in fact. The mesh wasn't even blocked up.

I simply took the filters off and frequent CTD's in games stopped and never reappeared. Nothing else changed.
And BTW, my man-cave is in the basement, so ambient temp is nice and cool year round.
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Haashashin » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:23 pm

Thank for the input guys,

Unfortunate I don't have the budget right now (not a new tattoo but the bathroom :lol: ) so I have the time to check up things.

Clearly if an i5 is enought for gaming (thnking of sims and star citizen) I will take a look. About the PSU, mostly sure I won't get that one...

It seems I will have to gamble and buy piece by piece , from the mobos up, and see what was wrong with the PC.

Blackie, I have a sentimental attachment to Gygabite mobos :lol: :lol: (reading it twice it sound a lil twisted :lol: :twisted: ) also the ram I got is DDR4 as far as I remember but have to physically check.
SYN_Haashashin
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Bandy » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:19 am

Well, if you are going to troubleshoot components, then I'd start with replacing your power supply. When PSU goes, all sorts of weird things can happen when the board is not getting enough power.

Have you also tried taking out the RAM one stick at a time? However, some mobo require matching RAM modules be installed making it hard if you have less than 4 sticks to spot a bad one. You didn't mix RAM did you?

Cracked mobo might cause similar appearing problems, dead start, but PSU is easier to replace. Maybe a friend has a spare you can try?

Good luck, keep us informed of progress. I'd be in major withdrawl at this point. Blackie likely suicidal... :lol:
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Haashashin » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:07 pm

Good advice there Bandy, thanks!!

Will start with the PSU but have to wait 2 weeks, no budget due to home overhaul :lol: :grin:

Ram is all the same Bandy, Kingston brand.

Since I want to upgrade anyways I will buy everything, that and that my friends are PS4 diehards and won't ever invest in a PC, shame on them :twisted:

I'm not going suicidal cus my house is a mess and I don't think the best is to use the PC with the house full of dust. When I'm at my brothers house I sign in at steam and play a lil...just for the sake of getting my fix :lol:
SYN_Haashashin
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Haashashin » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:53 am

Okay, latest news...

Changed the PSU to this one: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/rmx-series ... odular-psu (Temporal)

Nothing changed, when gaming I got sound "breaks" and blue screens. Bought an used GTX660 from a local shop I know and been playing (Beta testing BoM) yesterday and today. No problem what so ever. I think the problem was/is the GPU. Hopefully this quick fix will allow me to join you guys again (playing alone sucks) and the plans for a new PC stand still.

Thanks all for the advices.
SYN_Haashashin
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_MrWolf » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:18 pm

Good to hear Haash!
ALWAYS BE YOURSELF! UNLESS YOU CAN BE BATMAN. THEN ALWAYS BE BATMAN.
SYN_MrWolf
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Haashashin » Tue May 17, 2016 4:28 pm

Hi,

Finally the new PC parts arrived today, now it's time to ensemble the thing!!! Any tips on SSDs?? Also a dumb question, I can just format the HDD to erase windows from it right??. Here are the parts:

- 1151 I5 6600k 6mb 5GHx
- Asus H170m plus 1151 4DDR4
- 2 samsung SSD 2.5 250 GB
- Kingston hyper fury DDR4 16GB

To this I will ensemble the parts I already have.

Let start!!! :grin:
SYN_Haashashin
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Per » Tue May 17, 2016 4:51 pm

Yepp, just format it mate.

GL! with the build!
SYN_Per
Syndicate Exec

Location: Sweden, Stockholm but preferably at the cottage. In the pavillion...

Postby SYN_Blackrat » Tue May 17, 2016 5:14 pm

As Per said, no real tips with SSDs, just watch the free space, with a 250gb SSD I had windows and then games I regularly play or benefit from an SSD due to loading times, the rest went on my HDD.

One thing I always do if someone has more than one drive is move their Documents to the D drive, then if Windows throws a wobbly and you cannot access C a reformat will not remove those important files.

After all who backs up????
"They say that just before you die, your whole life flashes in front of you. Make sure it is worth watching."
SYN_Blackrat
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware