Not hardware, but where?

Computers, joysticks, rudder pedals, DIY you can discuss it all here.

Moderator: SYN Exec

Not hardware, but where?

Postby SYN_Bandy » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:48 am

Despite the cheeky thread title, this is by no way humorous. My Javascript mysteriously stopped working two weeks ago on my gaming rig for all browsers, for no apparent reason.

Trust me, I've troubleshot this from all easily accessible angles except a re-install, and short of "super-user" advice provided here: http://superuser.com/questions/338320/all-my-browsers-suddenly-dont-support-javascript-files-anymore#
Not sure whether it is worth trying the higher-end troubleshooting tools mentioned: wireshark and fiddler, as I'm just following steps trying to resolve this, I have no deeper knowledge of what may be going wrong under the hood.

The solution for the fellow in the thread linked was to reset his router proxy settings, BUT for me this is only happening on one computer and all other systems on the home router (two wired, one wifi, 3 mobile devices) have no issues, so it is not a router problem.

1) I've reinstalled Java platform, both 64 and 32 are installed (64 required for some modding tools)
2) I've updated Firefox (requires 32 bit), but as mentioned, all other browsers not working either...
3) yes Java is enabled as plug in...
4) poured over pages at mozilla and oracle...

Not looking for solutions here, just venting my frustrations [ I can't even put a smilie up :( ]. Carry on...
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Re: Not hardware, but where?

Postby SYN_Vander » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Hi Bandy,

First, Java and Javascript are something else entirely, although the name suggests otherwise!
For javascript to run you do not need a separate (java) install. It is part of your browser software (be it Chrome or Firefox). Javascript runs inside your browser, while java code uses the java runtime software, so it's more like a plug-in. You can delete java entirely and your webbrowser will still be able to use javascript. Javascript is used so often in a webpage, I doubt that you can view many web pages (including this one) without it.

So just to be sure: is it javascript that is not working? or Java?
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Bandy » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:37 pm

Apologies if I was using javascript, and later in post, java interchangeably. It was only for convenience.

I can see this webpage just fine, of course, but need to type the [url][/url] tags because the WYSIWYG buttons don't work. I also cannot log in to certain webpages, the login dropdown does not work, my ages old hotmail account spits back a Javascript error.

That said, troubleshooting webpage errors like this for Firefox (but 3 different browser all have same errors...) take me here, where they refer to Java plugin, testing Java, enabling Java: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/use-java-plugin-to-view-interactive-content so I simply fell on that vernacular.
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Vander » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:04 pm

No need to apologize, I only learned it myself recently when I started a course in javascript :)
Well, from what you describe it does looks like a javascript problem. So you don't need to bother with installing Java etc. Have you tried a new install of Chrome? If you have this problem with every browser on your computer then the javascript code seems to be blocked somewhere else, which I find curious. A setting in a firewall/virus scanner maybe?
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Bandy » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:12 pm

I've even gone so far as to 'enable all pop-up windows', even tried adding websites to the list of allowed javascript sites (never had to do that before). Nothing.

But it's been like this for 2 weeks, and is not a big problem because I simply do not browse with it or go online at all, other than to download games, or mods for install. More of a big pain in the royal ass, but nothing I couldn't live without -- so I'm certainly not going to format and reinstall...
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Blackrat » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:18 pm

Very Bizarre, like Vander I was thinking a security setting somewhere preventing stuff happening, very annoying.

Of course format/sys may help :grin:
"They say that just before you die, your whole life flashes in front of you. Make sure it is worth watching."
SYN_Blackrat
Site Admin

Postby SYN_Macus » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:15 pm

Have you tried turning it off and on?
SYN_Macus
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Return to Hardware