Z170 mobo?

Computers, joysticks, rudder pedals, DIY you can discuss it all here.

Moderator: SYN Exec

Re: Z170 mobo?

Postby SYN_Haashashin » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:56 pm

I have been looking at this:
https://www.amazon.es/Samsung-XP941-uni ... B00J9V53M6

PCIe M.2 256GB SSD but from a local store since is almost half the price amazon offers :shock: :lol: (have to love the low taxes here)
SYN_Haashashin
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Kollwitz » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:35 pm

SYN_Mugue wrote:"One other thing I'm considering, is a PCI-e SSD- the price difference isn't too great now. Any thoughts on that?"

I would opt for that, it is much faster than the SATA3 connection, and if you get 256GB big enough for the OS and your sims
SYN_Kollwitz
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Speck » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:21 am

OK, thanks for the prompting, I decided to take the plunge and try to make an m.2 SSD my OS/sims drive. Sounds like it could be a bit tricky, but maybe not so much with a fresh win 10 install.

All parts are now ordered! :shock:

I also changed course, to go with a ASUS Z-170 pro gaming mobo. (The m.2 research I did showed some potential trouble with the Gigabyte I was looking at. Plus, I've been happy with my current 5 year old Asus mobo.) I did my due diligence half-assedly, and while I made sure I was getting compatible RAM and SSD, I had already ordered a PSU I found an OK deal on ama$on for, a Corsair RM1000x (yes I know, overkill, but it was a good deal!), and it's not on Asus' list. Any opinions on how important that really is? I understand RAM is one thing, but it seems like a good PSU (and this one got great reviews) should work for any good mobo...

Or maybe I'll just go ahead and order the Golden Field ATX-S395(靜音版), that IS on their list :roll:
SYN_Speck
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Bandy » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:38 am

Maybe it came out after they made their list? I don't see why any PSU wouldn't work.

ALSO as the PSU ages, as I understand the power output gradually diminishes, so always best to have plenty of overhead if you make your systems last for stability of other components. More = better.
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Blackrat » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:27 am

I don't think I have ever checked mobo compatibility lists before. It's all pretty much standard connections should be fine. Corsair is a good manufacturer.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
"They say that just before you die, your whole life flashes in front of you. Make sure it is worth watching."
SYN_Blackrat
Site Admin

Postby SYN_Speck » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:18 am

Thanks for all the input, guys, I really appreciate it. Of course for these questions I can (and did, and did...) google for answers, but you know that tends to produce too many contradictory and/or misinformed answers, so it's nice to have a group of friends to get fall-back opinions from, more the old fashioned way.

Like I said, parts are on the way, and should all be here within a week. Will let you know how the build goes!

Cheers!
SYN_Speck
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Bandy » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:57 am

After throwing out that statement, "PSU degrades with time" which was based on most of what I've read over the years, I wanted to back it up, but can't find anything solid to cite. Seems it might be one of those myths everyone clings to, but I won't give up yet. This is the best I could find, an article about capacitor aging, but well over my head: http://www.johansondielectrics.com/ceramic-capacitor-aging-made-simple#.Um_e0fmkr9k

Meanwhile some good advice:
The best advice is for someone to get a quality manufactured power supply that has been torture tested by Hardware Secrets, Johhy Guru, or HardOcp. These reviewers take apart the PSU and inspect the circuitry to ensure the claimed features are present. I don't know how many times I have seen them say "there is no over-volt circuit even though that is a claimed feature, avoid this power supply".

A 2013 Tom's Hardware article, one of the best sources IMHO, and still relevant explanation of who makes and relabels PSU's. Cheap is not necessarily poor quality, but buyer beware... http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-oem-manufacturer,2913.html

This link spells out what the numbers and ratings mean, and provides a very insightful graph (tho I can't link to it here) on how much money you can save annually by getting a better more efficient PSU, say gold standard. However, I'd like to add that measuring component draw can be misleading; you must do it at startup because max power draw of components happens at that point, not idle. Makes perfect sense, but likely often overlooked... https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/how-does-psu-efficiency-affect-me-and-do-i-really-need-an-80-plus-gold-power-supply.129456/
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Previous

Return to Hardware