Z170 mobo?

Computers, joysticks, rudder pedals, DIY you can discuss it all here.

Moderator: SYN Exec

Z170 mobo?

Postby SYN_Speck » Mon May 23, 2016 5:05 pm

So, I'm considering a major upgrade (first since 2010/2011.) The plan is to go with a i5-6600k and a Z170 motherboard, for the OC potential.

I'm a bit bewildered at the large array of mobo options. It seems that each of the major manufacturers has about 15 different Z170 options. I'm slogging through them trying to discern the differences, but thought I'd throw a post in here to see if any of you have any thoughts/recommendations.

I'm interested in ease of use for some mild OC'ing, a good BIOS, and some future-proofing. A larger ATX form would be good too, I've got a pretty spacious case (Antec 900) so no real need to cram things onto a smaller mobo.

Thanks..
SYN_Speck
Syndicate Exec

Re: Z170 mobo?

Postby SYN_Blackrat » Mon May 23, 2016 6:08 pm

Personally I just look and see what added features I need, most mobos now allow overclocking, Asus is my preferred board, but that is probably just brand loyalty as so far so good...

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/3xs-ove ... -2666mhz-d

Is an example of the board my favourite supplier uses in its own overclocking bundles.
"They say that just before you die, your whole life flashes in front of you. Make sure it is worth watching."
SYN_Blackrat
Site Admin

Postby SYN_Haashashin » Mon May 23, 2016 6:45 pm

My new one is an Asus H170M Plus (https://www.asus.com/es/Motherboards/H170M-PLUS/). Select it cus my friend say the BIOS is very easy to use (actually it is :grin: ) and cus Blackrat said its his brand, so when I need to overclock it (first timer here) I could ask him :lol:
SYN_Haashashin
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_MrWolf » Mon May 23, 2016 6:52 pm

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z170-DELUXE/

This my board. Happy sofar with it. I forgot why i went for this one.
ALWAYS BE YOURSELF! UNLESS YOU CAN BE BATMAN. THEN ALWAYS BE BATMAN.
SYN_MrWolf
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Speck » Tue May 24, 2016 4:28 am

Thanks guys, it looks like you're all coming from about the same perspective as me. :) Unfortunately Haash, I have to tell you, it's my understanding that the difference between the Z170 and the H170 is that the Z allows OC and the H doesn't :cry: But maybe there is a workaround... or maybe I misunderstood.

Also Asus has been my most recent mobo and I've been happy with it. But I'm looking at MSI and Gigabyte too.
SYN_Speck
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Bandy » Tue May 24, 2016 7:40 am

Been happy with my ASRock and overclocking is well supported, allowing 3 different bios profiles.
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_DerHesse70 » Tue May 24, 2016 8:33 am

I highly recommend you EVGA-boards! Best board that i ever had. Much overclocking potential, bullet proof and easy to use bios!

http://www.evga.com/Products/ProductLis ... Intel+Z170

Take care with big boards speck. I own a Antec 1200, the big brother of your Antec 900. These cases can only fit normal ATX size. No E-ATX or other bigger boards. You can put them in but they will block the openings for your cabel management. Also you will reach the inner front fans for the cpu and ram cooling if installed!! :wink:
"Es ist noch kein Meister vom Himmel gefallen!"
SYN_DerHesse70
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Postby SYN_Mugue » Tue May 24, 2016 11:53 am

Speck,
I can't really offer any meaningful help. But I do know the feeling of drowning in system specs and reviews till your mind turns to mush.
In the end, I just have to grit my teeth, hit the check out button and hope I don't get a lemon.

Enjoy the process if you can. And good luck. :wink:

PS: I've been using Asus equipment lately without problems...(for what it's worth = not much)
"Billy Pilgrim has come unstuck in time."
SYN_Mugue
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Haashashin » Tue May 24, 2016 3:28 pm

Speck,

You scare the hell out of me (I readed your last post at work and couldnt check) since my PC store guy said to me is OC ready, also thats why I got an i5 6600k. So I just got home and looked at my BIOS and there is a OC configuration part. Just took a quick peak and there is something about OC profiles able to be loaded, up to 8. I just trusted the guy since I have no idea about OC or mobos at all.

Maybe you looked at the H170m, mine is H170m plus, dont know.

I had a Gygabite mobo for a long time and had no problems whatsoever untill the end of my old PC life. Someone said that changes are good :grin:
SYN_Haashashin
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Blackrat » Tue May 24, 2016 4:49 pm

Haash, I think it will do a mild overclock, you cannot change the CPU clock multiplier so upping the mhz is the only option, I think that is the way the H boards work, you pay the extra for a Z board to be able to change the multiplier which is unlocked on a K CPU.
"They say that just before you die, your whole life flashes in front of you. Make sure it is worth watching."
SYN_Blackrat
Site Admin

Next

Return to Hardware