W10 or not...

Computers, joysticks, rudder pedals, DIY you can discuss it all here.

Moderator: SYN Exec

W10 or not...

Postby SYN_Kollwitz » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:13 am

So the upgrade window has been bugging me for a year now, and July 29th is the last day I can do it. Should I upgrade to W10, got W7 atm and it is working fine on a SSD...

is is faster, sleeker better? how is the compatability with older games compared to W7??

enlighten me plz
SYN_Kollwitz
Syndicate Exec

Re: W10 or not...

Postby SYN_MrWolf » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:22 am

I am big fan. It feels like windows 7 with some extra new features in it. No Win8 dejavu. I would go for it..didn't have any problems wit it sofar. I am using it for almost a year now.
ALWAYS BE YOURSELF! UNLESS YOU CAN BE BATMAN. THEN ALWAYS BE BATMAN.
SYN_MrWolf
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Blackrat » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:41 am

Yep :grin:
"They say that just before you die, your whole life flashes in front of you. Make sure it is worth watching."
SYN_Blackrat
Site Admin

Postby SYN_Mugue » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:13 pm

I've come close to pushing that upgrade button a few times.(my mind keeps reacting to the words "FREE" and "Limited time")...but so far, I just haven't. W7 ain't broke, so I ask myself, "Why am I fixing it again?"
I mean, Microsoft, giving something away?...That doesn't smell fishy to you? I figure, Either they're covering up gross negligence. Or, It's just GOT to be a trap. I'm telling you, W10 is Sky Net! :shock:

DX12 is the only thing it has for me, and what games use that? The rest of it seems to be geared to using your computer with and like a cell phone.(I don't need those features.) And it has some creepy information sharing with MS(and their partners) that can't be shut off.(pulls tin foil hat on a little tighter) :roll: :lol:

So for me it comes down to games. When games(games that I want!) start coming out exclusively for DX12 I'll change. But I bet, I've got 2-5years before that happens. And by then I'll need a new computer anyway.(all that assumes, the world is still here after July 30th, when Sky Net becomes active!!! :eek: ) :wink: :lol:
"Billy Pilgrim has come unstuck in time."
SYN_Mugue
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Kollwitz » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:50 pm

Looks like I'm just as old and distrustful as you are Mugue :lol:

Here: have something old that is new to watch!

And yes, it is an original!
SYN_Kollwitz
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Mugue » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:30 pm

That's a beautiful thing, right there. Makes me want to fire up RoF.
"Billy Pilgrim has come unstuck in time."
SYN_Mugue
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Bandy » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:01 pm

Get another drive, clone your current install for back up (many good drive clone software to make it bootable, some free with less features though) and then simply upgrade the other copy. You don't like 10, go back to 7 with just a drive swap and/or restart.

The drive footprint of 10 is larger, and what for I wonder? IMHO the hype surrounding better game performance on 10 was complete placebo bullshit.

Just make sure you are aware of the privacy defaults with 10 and turn them on (or off).
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Per » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:30 pm

Win 10 is great. Just do it.
SYN_Per
Syndicate Exec

Location: Sweden, Stockholm but preferably at the cottage. In the pavillion...

Postby SYN_Vander » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:05 am

Just do it. Makes sure you can keep going. As long as MS is the only serious OS player for PC games you just have to follow their lead...
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Bandy » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:31 pm

Just beware, if you are playing Dx9 games, it appears that Win10 has limited memory allocation, see below. It may impact BoS and textures b/c as I understand the engine is still Dx9.

The quote is a little buried in this page http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:ENBlocal_INI/Memory and IMHO the source is quite reliable (these guys know what they are doing, not just a random forum post), so take it as you will. I'm not sure if limiting Dx9 games to 4 GBs is a problem anyways unless you are into modding them as I am.
Windows 8/10 users: Microsoft has, unintentionally, introduced a memory limit for DirectX 9 games/software. This limit is 4GBs (4096) and there is nothing which can be done to circumvent this limit. For users seeing the VRamSizeTest tool reporting 4064 or similar, this is not a mistake. This is actually the limit for the OS in use.

VRamSizeTest tool:
http://enbdev.com/download_vramsizetest.htm
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Next

Return to Hardware