NVidia driver update breaking some DX9 games...

Computers, joysticks, rudder pedals, DIY you can discuss it all here.

Moderator: SYN Exec

NVidia driver update breaking some DX9 games...

Postby SYN_Bandy » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:09 pm

Just beware, I've read this on a few forums now that latest NVidia driver update is breaking some DX9 games. If that matters to you.

Also heard latest Win10 update has buggered up some other apps, but cannot be avoided unless you change default update settings. Only option is to try an OS rollback, and we all know they work 100%, every time... :???:

According to Nvidia's Manuel Guzman: "The new Windows 10 Anniversary Update had a specification change that required our display driver to output a different string from the previous drivers in the past. This has affected some games which were unfortunately developed with the assumption that the value would never change. We are working with Microsoft to find a solution."

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/966915/geforce-drivers/official-372-90-game-ready-whql-display-driver-feedback-thread-released-9-21-16-/post/4980875/#4980875

It seems the problem is related to the change from WDDM 2.0 to WDDM 2.1. Windows 10 Anniversary Update includes WDDM 2.1.
Driver 368.81 and earlier are still WDDM 2.0, so is said.
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Re: NVidia driver update breaking some DX9 games...

Postby SYN_Vander » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:59 am

Funny, I just started playing Skyrim. I upgraded the nvidia driver yesterday and had no crashes yet (but I did have crashes on the old driver).
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Re: NVidia driver update breaking some DX9 games...

Postby SYN_Bandy » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:31 pm

Maybe patched already then? He says hopefully.

I tend to not bother updating GPU driver unless there is a compelling reason. Maybe comes from running Radeon/ATI cards before, and their drivers were tres flaky.

Sent you a PM...
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Return to Hardware