Video/Monitor issues? - please help!

Computers, joysticks, rudder pedals, DIY you can discuss it all here.

Moderator: SYN Exec

Video/Monitor issues? - please help!

Postby SYN_Bandy » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:56 pm

Hi fellows, hope somebody can provide advice on this issue I seem to be having on certain games.

First off, my system specs:
i7 2700K oc'd to 4.4 GHz
GTX 980Ti 6 GB
8 GB RAM
SSD's for OS and games
27" Dell U2711 Ultrasharp IPS monitor 2540 x 1440 px at about a 6 ms refresh (ughh forgot about that...) http://www.dell.com/ae/business/p/dell-u2711/pd

What I have been experiencing is the following. In game I sort of see a horizontal line across the monitor but not a line, more like a brief wave of distortion or blurriness that appears to move up and down at times. It is sort of like screen tearing but is different (no split of the image vertically), so I do not think it is screen tearing. I see this happen with Arma3, and now with Dark Souls (a vintage 2012 game), BUT I do not remember seeing it in RoF/BoS, heavily modded Skyrim, Fallout or any other games that I think would be more demanding with large textures and details.

I have tried a number of in-game settings, and Nvidia control panel settings, turning V-sync on and off does not help. AA up and down, AO on and off, etc. and it sometimes appears to be resolved, then I see it the next time I start up the game.

It happens mostly when panning camera view with the mouse, so still image or slow pan doesn't happen or perhaps less noticiable?

I will continue to search, but if this sounds familiar or you have experienced this, please post. I suspect it may be the monitor refresh rate and high def leading to render artifact. Wonder if reducing/scaling back render resolution to 1080p would help (will try this) though I hear it is always better to render at monitor native resolution.
Regards!

EDIT: this is about as close as I found describing a similar issue: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1768528/blurry-lines-games-static-barely-visible.html Funny, I know what the OP is saying, this is not screentear or vsync related, I did try that option on and off as mentioned...
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Re: Video/Monitor issues? - please help!

Postby SYN_DerHesse70 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:53 pm

Are you sure that Vsync is off? Sounds like "Vsync off" to me. I'm always playing with Vsync off and i have that lines in all of my games. But it doesn't matter to me. My focus are maximum fps. I have Vsync enabled for 3D applications in the Nvidia settings and turn it always off in the ingame settings.
"Es ist noch kein Meister vom Himmel gefallen!"
SYN_DerHesse70
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Postby SYN_Bandy » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:07 am

Thanks for reply. Oddly enough, I was at work on just a normal desktop computer with several apps/windows open (database apps, word, excel, ...) and had Firefox open. Scrolling down webpages gave me the same moving horizontal line break effect I see on my game rig.

I noticed it before at work, but ignored it thinking it was too many windows open, low RAM, on board graphics, cheap monitor, etc., but this is not the case at home. Just not sure why this is happening on some games and not others.
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Blackrat » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:43 am

How old are your GPU drivers?

Certainly sounds like refresh rate to me, tearing.
"They say that just before you die, your whole life flashes in front of you. Make sure it is worth watching."
SYN_Blackrat
Site Admin

Return to Hardware