New Graphic card

Computers, joysticks, rudder pedals, DIY you can discuss it all here.

Moderator: SYN Exec

New Graphic card

Postby SYN_Haashashin » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:00 pm

Tuesday Vander and some of you guys talked about new graphic cards. I am, as same as Vander, thinking in a new Gcard. I own a very old (computer age) one, an ATI 4870x2 HD 2Gb, still running RoF very nicely but the frame rate is not as good as it should be and Im getting some general graphic problems. And of course the new map and new sim coming up I rather gift myself a new card know that I have the saved money for it..

Well thats a long story, to the point of the topic..Im looking at Nvidia cards, so..I know it will be an improvement no matter which one I pick but...Im looking at a 670 but the price is something like 500E, the other one is 660Ti which is allmost half the price. There is so much difference on their performance?? both card are 2Gb ones, 4 Gbs are out of the range for me.

Thougths??...
SYN_Haashashin
Syndicate Exec

Re: New Graphic card

Postby SYN_MrWolf » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:40 pm

Why not the 660 Haash? 285 Euro's. They are comparing it with the 580 ( which me, and Jedders and Kollwitz have. ). Very nice performance.
ALWAYS BE YOURSELF! UNLESS YOU CAN BE BATMAN. THEN ALWAYS BE BATMAN.
SYN_MrWolf
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Bandy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:05 pm

Why isn't this thread in the new hardware forum? :grin:

I picked up a 560Ti 2 GB card this spring because the 600 series was just too pricey (after buying a new 2700K system). I likely would have bought the 660Ti if it was out at that time, but it wasn't.

All nVidia GPU's have great overclock potential. My 560Ti is stock 820 MHz core and 2004 memory, but this card can easily handle 950 MHz (some say 1000...) and 2060 memory overclock, putting it at par with higher cards. I use an ArticCooler GPU heatsink/dual fan, a wise investment for the card, and your ears since the stock nVidia cards are very loud.

I left behind an XFX 4870 1 GB card for the 560Ti, WHAT A DIFFERENCE, you are in for a treat Hash!
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Haashashin » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:08 pm

Was a quick post as I was leaving home...please move it as I cant do it right now Bandy ;) My bad, sorry.
SYN_Haashashin
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Haashashin » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:43 am

I got my new toy today!!! 3 magic kings day today down in Spain, the day we spaniards get our Xmas presents, well at least the expensives ones. At the end I got the 660 Ti, thanks to my friend beeing the owner of the shop I got it for 275 euros, that said I have to pay it in 6 months hehehe, also thanks to my friend. Well I did a quick test, over the channel and now we are talking!! yeah lower FPS than in Western front, but its smooth. On western front I tried a 30 planes quick mission and went kinda smooth, at least I could play it, not like before.
Now its time to play with the graphics settings, if anyone can help out doing it it will be appreciated.
By the way the damn card is noisy.
SYN_Haashashin
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_MrWolf » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:10 am

Oh..wow Now let's keep an eye on your Killstreaks and see if that goes up. It helps you know.the smooth gameplay.
ALWAYS BE YOURSELF! UNLESS YOU CAN BE BATMAN. THEN ALWAYS BE BATMAN.
SYN_MrWolf
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Mike77 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:54 pm

I also did a christmas graphics card update. I went from an ATI4650 to an ATI 7770. I also changed out my 300 watt power supply for a 500 watt power supply. Finally I switched to a dvi monitor connector finally dumping the old vga cord. With a bit of help from Kol I have the in game settings tweaked now in that optimum spot between performance and eye candy.
SYN_Mike77
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Postby SYN_Vander » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:45 pm

Nice upgrades guys!
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Kollwitz » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:29 pm

tweaked a little with reflections, and without reflections in a big AI dogfight on the deck near Dover I get 60 fps, reflections at maximum makes the water look a bit better (not much difference tbh), but frames drop to the high 30s, still no stuttering though...

choices, choices...
SYN_Kollwitz
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Vander » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:03 pm

I've also tested again with reflections off. Now I know why I wasn't liking it. It's not so much the water (there are indeed still waves visible), but the plane reflection in the water disappears completely and so it seems to float in the air, rather than in the water. :)

reflec_off.jpg

reflec_med.jpg
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Return to Hardware