Intel CPU liquid cooling?

Computers, joysticks, rudder pedals, DIY you can discuss it all here.

Moderator: SYN Exec

Intel CPU liquid cooling?

Postby SYN_Bandy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:05 pm

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006588Z7G/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Have read some product reviews and (hopefully) independent websites, all seem good for this cooler, in fact better than pricier liquid options.

Anyone have an opinion? I've talked to some of you already I know, but the big air units do not interest me, I want to get the heat OUT of the case, not just recirculate it... :???:
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Re: Intel CPU liquid cooling?

Postby SYN_Kollwitz » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:12 pm

yes, but why a water cooled solution? It is certainly not better at this price range. You pay twice as much for the same cooling performance, and believe me: if you hear the sound of your CPU air cooler over your GPU, there is something very wrong inside the case.

About the recirculating: Getting one exit fan extra in your case will probably yield the same results for $ 5.
SYN_Kollwitz
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Bandy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:23 pm

Much appreciated opinion, because it makes me organize and present my perspective.

Currently, the stock Intel cooler on my 2700k chip does a good job because it is not overclocked. I know I will have to overclock it for Star Citizen when the alpha comes out, and likely have to replace my 550Ti as well, so just thinking ahead. I have an ArticCooler on my GPU, so no, it is quite quiet even at 100% fan setting.

Comparing prices to CPU air coolers, such as the Noctua (I think you mentioned you have) the Intel liquid cooler solution is on par with Noctua prices. I wouldn't settle for anything of much lesser quality in an air solution.

Performance wise, I've seen articles both in favour and against liquid cooling, so still not sure where the 'truth' lies, if anywhere. I have had liquid cooled systems in the past, an IBM Power Mac.
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Kollwitz » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:50 pm

I got this one for € 30,-

http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/cpu/0 ... etail.html

which is not in production anymore, but replaced by:

http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/cpu/1 ... UGEN3.html

The noctua nh14 is much more expensive and is only slightly better:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835608018

Although I have been looking at water cooling when I built my last set, I had to decide in the end between a high end component watercooling set (around €150) and a decent air cooler. The reason for me: when you go watercooling you have to get a big advantage in cooling power, something you just don't get with the ready-built sets (at that time. the Corsair H50 and H70 were both already available and being twice as expensive for less than 10% gain made it a non sensible investment).

So in the end I decided that this was my sweet point in this built, same reasoning got me the 2500k instead of the 2600k. The difference in everyday use was not enough to warrant the more expensive part.

Either way you won't go wrong.
SYN_Kollwitz
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Mugue » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:38 am

We I can't talk about what the best priced option is vs. performance...What I will say is that I've had corsaire H70's in my last two systems and I have zero complaints. I'm never going back to air cooled. It made a HUGE difference in the temps when O.C.ing. I didn't follow any of Kolls links so I don't know what he's showing you, but personally I really liked the fact that the H70 is a no maitaince closed loop system. The last thing I want to be doing is topping off or changing the coolent. The one you asked about looks a very similar to mine. And while it is very quiet, Koll is right that its the GPU and PSU fans making most all the noise in my case. Still, less noise IS less noise, and I never had another overheating problem with the CPU.
"Billy Pilgrim has come unstuck in time."
SYN_Mugue
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Bandy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:40 am

Sincere thanks for what is turning into an interesting thread.

Mugue, you have a lot of experience with the Corsair units. I was seriously looking at those, but saw many reviews mentioning a pump noise that wouldn't go away, even on replacement units. Now, maybe these people were over-sensitive, who knows, but it turned me off.

Koll, completely understand your logic (I did return the Dell 30" monitor remember? :grin: ), but I generally do not quibble over cost/benefit when the cost is of that order, say under $50 for a CPU cooler. There are also salient reasons why I went with the 2700k chip, which I know seems overboard, but I got it for the same price as a 2600k. The general online perspective (yeah, I know 'wisdom' on the internet... :roll: ) is that the higher end chips likely represent chips shown to have higher tolerances during QC at Intel. Intel is silent on the matter...
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Mugue » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:20 pm

"saw many reviews mentioning a pump noise that wouldn't go away"

Interesting, perhaps I'm a bit deaf or something(All that rock music and heavy machinery I've been exposed to). But I never heard them making a sound over the other whirling bits. Those people must have been making silent systems for attack submarines or such. :roll: Or just got bad parts. :cry:

I always wonder about reviews...What percentage of people take the time to review things when they work? I know I never do...But when they don't work... :evil:
Makes me wish we could see how many parts where sold vs. complaints made. Then we might have something real to go on. Good luck mate!
"Billy Pilgrim has come unstuck in time."
SYN_Mugue
Syndicate Exec

Return to Hardware