PC trouble after some cleaning

Computers, joysticks, rudder pedals, DIY you can discuss it all here.

Moderator: SYN Exec

Re: PC trouble after some cleaning

Postby SYN_Flashman » Wed May 29, 2013 3:46 pm

I had a problem with mine recently as the heatsink wasn't seated on the CPU correctly and it overheated like buggery. Anyhoo, that didnt cause issues because I fixed it. However to gain access I had to remove the RAM and didnt reseat it very well. It took a while to work that one out.....

Just check the seating of everything.
SYN_Flashman
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Postby SYN_Bandy » Thu May 30, 2013 11:02 am

Sorry to hear of your continuing woes...
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Speck » Fri May 31, 2013 6:01 am

Nice that you have a local shop able to help with such issues.

So... are they going to get into ROF, now that you've showed it to them? :cool:
SYN_Speck
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Ricky » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:33 am

Situation still not sorted, they my PC go through all kind of stress and hardware tests and they don't show anything fishy. They tried with another CG and they encountered the same problems. They are a bit at a loss to know exactly what is wrong...

I guess my last move is to try a system reinstall in case it's software related. I'm not to keen on spending any more money on my aging PC, it's probabé probably better to start saving for a new config for when BOS comes out...

SYN_Speck wrote:Nice that you have a local shop able to help with such issues.

So... are they going to get into ROF, now that you've showed it to them? :cool:

Lol, the young lad that was there then was more looking at me in a skeptical way, like "Can't he play just normal games like Call of Duty or Fifa?" :lol:

He seemed a bit more reassured when I launched Skyrim :razz:
SYN_Ricky
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Postby SYN_Ricky » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:44 pm

Just tried a very easy solution suggested by a friend today: I opened the side of the PC and put a big fan in front of it blowing straight inside.

I was thus able to play Skyrim for more than two hours without any trouble, so looks like that there is something overheating when the case is closed, now the problem is to know what exactly is overheating...

The fan solution will be difficult to use if I want to put my rudder pedals under the desk as usual, but I'll try maybe tonight...
SYN_Ricky
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Postby SYN_Kollwitz » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:53 pm

I was going to say that the summer heat doesn't help either, but since you already had this in february it is a bit of a silly statement. It looks like a component is close to failing/overheating with regular use, and you should really take a look at the airflow in the case. Is the PSU still up to standards?

Best of luck!
Koll
SYN_Kollwitz
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Vander » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:21 am

Have you/ they tried to reapply the thermo conducting paste between the cpu and heatsink? I had to do that once with a laptop. With age, the paste would become more brittle/ less conducting. Cleaning the cpu and applying good thermo paste cured all my problems....
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Ricky » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:48 am

The CPU fan has been replaced as well as the thermal paste when I brought the PC to the shop. The re must some other component who is overheating but I don't know which.
The GPU should give an alarm in case of overheating, so I guess it's not that either.

Anyway I found a small USB fan I had around which seems to be doing the job allright while permitting me to install rudder pedals under my desk :smile:

I know it's not an ideal solution, but I hope it will work until I will be able to get a new PC.

Now I just have to pre-order BOS, the prospect to play the early alpha is really too tempting :cool:
SYN_Ricky
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Previous

Return to Hardware