Motherboard & Cpu Advice Needed

Computers, joysticks, rudder pedals, DIY you can discuss it all here.

Moderator: SYN Exec

Motherboard & Cpu Advice Needed

Postby SYN_Jingo » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:25 pm

Need advice on what Mobo & Cpu & Memory i should invest in to enable me to game with ease well into the future.I understand there is a huge choice out there of Cpu brand/speed and no end of motherboards but I have no idea what is really the current minimum requirement for the latest games and what component goes with what.

I have,
1.Tower Case that will take ATX size mobo.
2.SaTA hard drives
3.Dvd/rw drive etc
4.Pci Graphics card
5.PSU

would the PSU be suitable for a new build? it used to power a PackardBell IExtreme X8540 machine 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Quad with a Foxconn N15235 mobo???

I am pretty switched on and can easily follow written instruction on how to assemble/install components so that's not an issue,but doing a Google for "build your own gaming pc" throws up to much info.

Any advice welcome.
SYN_Jingo
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Re: Motherboard & Cpu Advice Needed

Postby SYN_Kollwitz » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:31 pm

budget?
SYN_Kollwitz
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Jingo » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:02 pm

SYN_Kollwitz wrote:budget?

£400 incl Memory I reckon. Is that enough ? :shock:
SYN_Jingo
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Postby SYN_Blackrat » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:06 am

Lets break it down to what you need...

CPU
Mobo
Memory
Graphics card

PSU will need to be 500w plus really as the PCIE graphics cards need their own power supply, a PSU is often underestimated in importance, a decent one will pay off in the long run and bring stability to your system.

So consider an I5 CPU and Nvidia Graphics card the best you can afford, check overclockers.co.uk and you will get an idea of price, getting a CPU, motherboard, RAM bundle will ensure compatibility and save a few quid, I think with a 400 quid budget you will need to compromise a bit fe. a future proof Graphics card the 680 will cost 400 quid alone.
"They say that just before you die, your whole life flashes in front of you. Make sure it is worth watching."
SYN_Blackrat
Site Admin

Postby SYN_Jingo » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:49 am

SYN_Blackrat wrote:Lets break it down to what you need...

CPU
Mobo
Memory
Graphics card

PSU will need to be 500w plus really as the PCIE graphics cards need their own power supply, a PSU is often underestimated in importance, a decent one will pay off in the long run and bring stability to your system.

So consider an I5 CPU and Nvidia Graphics card the best you can afford, check overclockers.co.uk and you will get an idea of price, getting a CPU, motherboard, RAM bundle will ensure compatibility and save a few quid, I think with a 400 quid budget you will need to compromise a bit fe. a future proof Graphics card the 680 will cost 400 quid alone.

Thank You Both for taking the time to help :smile: . Looks I have some reading & research to do. I will post when I have some suggestions for you to advise on and no doubt more questions for you to answer lol
SYN_Jingo
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Postby SYN_Bandy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:02 pm

Good recent thread here on a fellow building a RoF system... http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=350&t=33248 (though I wouldn't listen to the goon chiming on about the 8 core AMD chip... :roll: )

What Blackie says, a quality power supply will keep all other components safe --don't skimp there for heaven's sake. At minimum get a gold rated unit. Read a lot of reviews.
In fact, getting a PSU a bit bigger than you need means it will run cooler. Over time the PSU will loose a little of its mojo, so a little overhead is always good, as the Irish say, "to be sure, to be sure..."
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Return to Hardware