Bodenplatte and Flying circus

A place to discuss the new title from 777 and 1C

Moderator: SYN Exec

Bodenplatte and Flying circus

Postby SYN_Mike77 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:12 pm

So no midway/pacific but late western front with Tempest, P38/47/51, and SpitfireIX. Not to mention more 109's 190D and a 262. Sounds interesting.

AAAAAAnd.... Flying Circus! RoF updated and VR ready sometime next year. I was thinking of making the VR plunge for carrier landings but I'm thinking WWI in VR? This might make me pull the trigger on the Rift even more!
SYN_Mike77
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Re: Bodenplatte and Flying circus

Postby SYN_Vander » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:00 pm

I agree! Very sad about pacific scenario, but: it's been delayed, not postponed!
Very happy with WW1 getting an upgrade! The late war WW2 plane set is not my first choice, but I do like the map area! :razz:
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Haashashin » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:26 pm

Same here, mad at first but now just sad :lol:
Will for sure enjoy WWI with current engine!! Do not care much about late war planes really, but hey..let see if they let me fly around Amsterdam :lol: :lol: I think its way north for the map but Maastricht will do as well :P
SYN_Haashashin
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Speck » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:46 am

Interesting! I really didn't think they would go back to WWI, and am very glad to hear they are planning it.

The rest of the news is a bit disappointing to me. I'm not very interested in late war uber-planes. Remembering late-war ETO maps in the old IL2, the fights were just boring IMO and attracted a macho crowd (in other words, I always got my ass kicked). I'd like to try the new aircraft out of course, and check out the map, but I probably won't pay the $70 for the privilege. And WRT the PTO, I wasn't all that excited about Midway either (I get seasick and like to have some land in view) but really hoped it would soon lead to the Solomons, a much more interesting zone IMO.

There must have been some interesting "discussions" behind closed doors, leading up to this decision. It doesn't seem to make sense to me, to abandon the Pacific theater because it's basically too hard... instead, they will just do the Bodenplatte addition, remake ROF, and build a new tank sim? Surely with those resources they could have gone into the PTO. Easy for me to say, I know, but it doesn't seem to add up. I understand carriers plus full supporting battle-fleets, rendered in full detail & physics, would be pretty damn complex... but how about a New Guniea scenario? Not that different from Kuban?!?

Anyhow, on the balance I'm just really happy we will get an updated ROF. You know the wood & canvas birds are my true love. Like Mike, it could push me to plunge into VR.
SYN_Speck
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Mike77 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:32 pm

What Jason has said is the problem with the Pacific was in the research for Japanese planes. Not to mention translation problems. There might not be a great many fluent Japanese speakers in Moscow!

Honestly I'm not sure which part of the announcement I'm most excited about; RoF II or the new mixed arms part. Playing Vanders' scenario with some of us in tanks, some in ground pounders and some in fighters was pretty awesome. Thinking about expanding that to all that is promised is stimulating to say the least.
SYN_Mike77
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Postby SYN_Mugue » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:17 pm

I was really looking forward to flying Wildcats+. So the sudden news that it's been pitched out the window, is a bit of a shock to me. I like many of the planes they now plan on releasing and all...(wait, no bombers?!?? :shock: )
I just wanted some Navel Aviation. It's been so long since we had that.

First, all those proposals for DCS WWII Navy aircraft, kind of evaporated, now this. Seems like adding water and boats to the mix is just too much trouble/money for anyone to really want to do it... :sad:

I got some cash for the guy that can finally deliver. :|

Hope I can live to see it. :razz:

At some point these guys are going to HAVE to fudge in missing data if we're going to have any new planes to fly. It really only has to be believable in relation to the other planes. And if credible new data surfaces, the possibility of review. What's the big deal? After making so many planes I'm willing to play with these guys best approximations. Particularly, when it's the difference between having Japanese planes or not, as a prime example.

I'm going to console myself with the Thunderbolt and Lightening. :wink:
"Billy Pilgrim has come unstuck in time."
SYN_Mugue
Syndicate Exec

Return to IL2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad