Practice makes perfect.

A place to discuss the new title from 777 and 1C

Moderator: SYN Exec

Re: Practice makes perfect.

Postby SYN_Mike77 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:32 pm

If I remember TAW has a high ground pounding aspect, Blackie, just pick either the IL2 or the Pe 2 and you should be good to go through the whole thing. I plan on being a ground pounder as much as possible (maybe try some fighting in a Lag as those of you who have been in our practice sessions know, I go from competent dogfighter in that plane to first to die in the yak!)
SYN_Mike77
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Postby SYN_Repent » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:05 am

It must almost be time for the TAW campaign to start, we should start and put our efforts into practice on a server now?
SYN_Repent
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Mike77 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:03 pm

Well this past sunday a group of us got together and Did some runs on the new Knights of the Air server. What we discovered is that we need to plan routes to targets well in advance, since (at least those of us who were there) couldn't navigate our way out of a paper bag :lol: I can say that because I was worst of all :???:
SYN_Mike77
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Postby SYN_Vander » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:01 pm

LOL ... that and we got all split up along the way. After 30 mins everyone was flying alone... :shock:
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Mike77 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:33 pm

yeah, more than head to head jousting we need to work as a group with a plan :shock:
SYN_Mike77
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Postby SYN_Repent » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:14 pm

See, this is all what the "head to head jousting" was about, its no good having a plan, and then as soon as the plan goes wrong i.e a couple of germans show up, people dont have the experience, skill or even knowledge of fighting in whatever aircraft they tend to be flying, as it all tends to go tits up quite fast,...... the plan part of it is easy imo, the part where it hits the fan, not so......

taking off
landing
flying in formation
flying to a target or a patrol route (following a leader)

these are all things that should be simple and be the basic's

i just dont want to be in a dogfight, after "planning a sortie", all is going well until the dogfight point, and half the flight dies needlessly because they dont know how to recognise the yak1's oncoming snap stall, or the 1-16s for that matter, actually, knowledge of that should be a "basic" too.
SYN_Repent
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Mugue » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:44 pm

I've noticed the trouble of keeping the squad together, many times.
The first flight usually goes OK...But then when someone gets shot down(or comes in late for that matter) they immediately jump in another aircraft and head out again instead of waiting for the others to get back. (or be shot down :roll: )
I know it isn't really that fun to wait, but I feel it would really help keep things together and us living longer, if we could try.

Rally points are another important item to always have. A known 'safe' place to regroup, can go a long way in pulling our bacon out of the fire. Everyone needs to know which way to run. Also it's a good place to hold short on the way in, to get the stragglers all caught up and in position, before we cross into hostile territory.
One other item, is the act of flying straight to the target. We should almost never do this, IMO. But we almost always do! It just makes it very easy for the opposing forces to detect us. They only have to CAP their ground units and look in the direction of our base....And like clockwork, they sweep us up as we come in. So fly a dog leg route!

Obviously we need to do both. Jousting to become more competent with whatever plane. Then we need to go to an open server after we "limber up" and practice some of our group skills. With the idea of getting everyone back, in more or less one piece. Even if that means we don't "complete" the mission.

We can't hope to win if we trade 1:1, planes and pilots for ground units. No suicide missions. And when the time comes, we should reflect on our playing Postscritum regarding having a nominal commander and following his lead and not going off on ones own. That game really shines when we keep together and follow the plan and provide mutual support.

In the end I'm just getting excited to get a good group of us up and having fun together, even if we get slaughtered. It will still be fun.
"Billy Pilgrim has come unstuck in time."
SYN_Mugue
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Ricky » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:25 am

All good points raised in these last messages. Funny at it's basically raising the same problems faced when I first started flying in a virtual squad in the original Il-2 :razz:

I propose we should train the following points:

- Finger four formation flying
- Fighting as a leader-wingman unit, mutual support between pairs
- Regrouping after an engagement / ground attack

I think that we should be able to do something good rather quickly, we have previous experience with ROF, I do remember some missions were we would fly as a group and do quite good.

Also, should we try to define some days to fly Il-2, both for practice and TAW missions?
SYN_Ricky
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Postby SYN_Mike77 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:14 pm

I don't think we should stop the dogfight practice (and besides, it's quite fun). It has, however been some time since RoF days when the whole squadron would show up at the same place at the same time and strike as a unit. I also agree that it hurts unit cohesion when people jump right back in after getting shot down. Does TAW allow that? Also, can you become a gunner for ground attack planes when you get shot down in TAW. If so, that might be better than jumping in another fighter (says the ground pounder :lol: )
SYN_Mike77
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Postby SYN_MrWolf » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:50 pm

All good points. I am looking forward to joining you guys in the next sortie.. I'll be back home tomorrow
ALWAYS BE YOURSELF! UNLESS YOU CAN BE BATMAN. THEN ALWAYS BE BATMAN.
SYN_MrWolf
Syndicate Exec

PreviousNext

Return to IL2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad