BOS Battle Maps & Landmarks

A place to discuss the new title from 777 and 1C

Moderator: SYN Exec

BOS Battle Maps & Landmarks

Postby WWGeezer » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:00 pm

I am in the middle of reading Antony Beevor's Stalingrad and am trying to understand the "field of play" for BOS. These 4 plates are from the book and am trying to compare them to the game map. The last image gives the largest view the game map captures.

For me F11 doesn't seem to give you the roving map camera like it does in ROF so found it difficult to get close in on land objects. Am I missing a technique or are camera views pretty much tied to planes? Was trying to identify landmarks on the map. Mamaev Kurgan was a key location because it was high ground and by taking it would allow easier artillary attacks on the ferry crossing to the south. I think I found it.

I am not an expert on WW2 history but this book is chilling.

Germans ( a Richtofen relative leading the charge) carpet bombing of Stalingrad, creating an ideal street fighting environment, Russian troops pushed to the west bank of the Volga, resupplying troops to keep this last stronghold. Both Hitler and Stalin trying to direct a battle and propaganda campaign from the top of leadership, Germans gathering and executing Jews, using dead Russian soldiers for traction under their tanks stuck in the snow, Russians executing men for not firing on their own men for surrendering, penal squads for "deserters" being placed on the front lines with policing squads behind them to make sure they keep fighting, citizens left to starve, using dogs with explosives to blow up tanks....a lot of bravery as well, but the the story line is so dark it is hard to get thru it.

Having flashbacks of playing Call of Duty II with my daughter without realizing what history I was re-enacting....yikes

WWGeezer

Re: BOS Battle Maps & Landmarks

Postby SYN_Bandy » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:04 pm

That's one thing I love about the devs, and they are sure good at, making the maps quite accurate to the terrain.

Yes, I beleive you've got the kurgan correct, a large hill with small valleys or gullies off the sides. A kurgan in general is an ancient burial mound.
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Return to IL2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad