Rep's spotting tips

A place to discuss the new title from 777 and 1C

Moderator: SYN Exec

Rep's spotting tips

Postby SYN_Repent » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:59 am

Comrades, it seems uncle joe's standard issue spectacles are failing us, must eat more stalinium grown karrota.

A lot of people i fly with seem to struggle with spotting, not just enemy contacts, but wingmen too, now im not sure whether i am onto something with monitor settings, or whether its because im putting in the flight hours and have become accustomed of what to look for.

Here's a few tips that may help.

I sit around 12-16" away from my screen, its a comfortable distance, but i think if i could i would sit closer, really allows me spot those pixel movements.

Zoom in a little, I used to always fly fully zoomed out for maximum field of view, gave me greater awareness i thought, i now think the opposite, theres no point in being able to see everywhere if you cant see nothing, so i zoom in a slight bit from maximum fov, it helps, the dots or close contacts stand out more.

Monitor/screen setting or gamma, I have lowered the gamma as far as the game will allow, which is 0.8, i have tried lowering it even more in the config (saving it as read only), but then it really is dark, so along with gamma setting of 0.8 i have a few monitor settings which i use, all monitors are different, as are all eyes, but i have found increasing both brightness and contrast works (mines is currently 90% brightness and 70% contrast. along with a couple of nice settings my monitor has (dark boost, colour temp) all these tips have really made spotting easier for me.

Last one, use your eyes not your head, do not contantly move your head around, move it to look in one direction, and then scan with your eyes, if your head isnt steady, then its harder to pick up any movement or pixels, i have a little system, scan in all directions, zoom in a bit, scan again, zoom in some more, scan again, then zoom back out and repeat the process.

Flying on WOL at extreme low level really helps train your eyes for what to look for, patrol around some target areas on the deck and you will soon see them, as you can pick them out more often you can start to climb and get above them and still spot them.
SYN_Repent
Syndicate Exec

Re: Rep's spotting tips

Postby SYN_MrWolf » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:22 am

Thanks for the tips Rep..

What also makes it difficult..when you fly as wingman and the leader moves a lot. Following your leader takes a lot of the concentration away as well.
ALWAYS BE YOURSELF! UNLESS YOU CAN BE BATMAN. THEN ALWAYS BE BATMAN.
SYN_MrWolf
Syndicate Exec

Re: Rep's spotting tips

Postby SYN_Vorlander » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:05 pm

Thanx for the tips mate. I have been having a horrible time spotting plane pixel in the game for a long time. My eyesight is going to sh!t and I have not been enjoying the game. In ROF I could spot Jed taking off before he even started his PC :grin:

Making it lots of fun.

I used your setting last night and it worked to great extend but I was lost most of the time during flight. This morning I found a setting called dynamic contrast on my Acer monitor and it was set to 0. Turned it up to 100. Holy crap I can see planes on another server. :lol:

Let's hunt those nazi's
SYN_Vorlander
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Rep's spotting tips

Postby SYN_Jedders » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:59 am

lol Vorli...hax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SYN_Jedders
Site Admin

Return to IL2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad