Practice makes perfect.

A place to discuss the new title from 777 and 1C

Moderator: SYN Exec

Re: Practice makes perfect.

Postby SYN_Ricky » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:12 am

It was great fun indeed, felt good to have some nice and "friendly" dogfights to get back in touch with Il-2.

I actually like the Yak-1, I just have to learn when to release pressure, I was always dropping a wing at the worst moment, and I couldn't manage to get any defensive manoeuvre without stalling. That's probably a combination of being way too nervous and pulling too hard, not keeping a watch on my airspeed and setting a proper joystick sensitivity.

Next time it would be nice to try and dogfight as pairs, yesterday it was more of a general furball.

As for the TAW campaigns I'll also be probably focusing on one or two fighters (Yak-1 being one, the only one I've flown a lot is the I-16), then I'll be more than happy to fly fighter-bombers and bombers, I'm quite familiar with the Il-2 and Pe-2.
SYN_Ricky
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Postby SYN_Haashashin » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:36 am

That Yak-1 likes to drop the wing at the worst moment indeed, similar to the MiG-3 (the one I am more use to fly). It was good fun.

SYN_MrWolf wrote:Also can't get that quality scissor maneuver of Haash out of my head. Pretty cool how quickly you turned the tables there Haash..I am jealous

:lol: :lol: Quality?? I call it lucky me!! I was looking back like crazy trying to counter your movements and at the same time trying to slow down so you overshoot and overpass me without staling the damn thing. Lucky me you overpass me before I got into a flat spin :lol: :lol:

Ohh too bad I had to leave just when Requiem show up..I would just spectacte him to learn :grin:
SYN_Haashashin
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Mugue » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:51 pm

Damn, sounds like I missed something good. Oh well, couldn't be helped.

One comment about learning different planes. Obviously you can do what you want, I'm not the one to tell you what to do. But keep in mind, the TAW campaign does progress though time, so the plane set changes. And trust me, the blues will be using their newest most fab planes. Also your personal hanger of planes is not unlimited. And you must, wait days, fly 'combat missions', and or supply missions to get reequipped. You only get 3 planes max of any given type, and some types you get even less. So it's likely at some point very quickly you'll have to fly a plane type other than your "favorite". SO, maybe 'making a few hard turns' here with friends isn't the worst idea in the world.

It's my opinion that everyone should do at least some training in the I-16. It's a quirky bastard of a plane to operate and fly. (more so, if like me, you don't use the techno chat)The first map is going to put our backs on the wall from the start and this POS is going to be a mainstay. The other is the Il2, so we can change the situation on the ground to end the first map as soon as possible. Its either that or we don't make a showing on the first map and just surrender to get it over with asap. I think we all know what Hitler did with all those guys he captured first, and that doesn't sound like fun to me. I'm here TO fight the desperate struggle!
"Billy Pilgrim has come unstuck in time."
SYN_Mugue
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Blackrat » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:12 pm

Don't worry Mugue, I will give it another go, just frustrating to be in a plane I have never flown and also an interface I have never used, you gotta treat me like I have never played IL2 BOX, because I haven't. I never really played the original either, all I have done is ROF and a bit of DCS.

Plus last night I was track IR, next time I will be VR, SA is some much easier to get a handle on even if I cannot see behind me due to real 1:1 head turning in VR, just had a bash at the Lagg, its about landing in one piece too, will be easier for me to learn the plane first before trying to dogfight.

Mind you if we have restricted plane numbers I will be in Iracing pretty quick :wink:
"They say that just before you die, your whole life flashes in front of you. Make sure it is worth watching."
SYN_Blackrat
Site Admin

Postby SYN_Mugue » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:06 pm

Understood. Walking before running is recommended.

And we'll see how fast we're all playing Post Scriptum...I'm thinking the bigger our flight gets the sooner we'll be discovered, and the blues will come from far and wide for the feeding frenzy. Getting the whole flight annihilated is a real possibility. Remember it's for fun.
"Billy Pilgrim has come unstuck in time."
SYN_Mugue
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Repent » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:37 pm

Cmon guys, less of the negativity, the plane set is the plane set, if you only want to fly the yak 1 ser.69 then that plane is gone after map 4 so your out of luck.......and trust me, if you think this is frustrating learning it, then be ready to be frustrated in TAW.

anyway, if you can fly the yak 1 ser.69, then you can fly the yak 1b and the yak 7, same airplane more or less, just later models, so thats that solved? you can fly those last 2 models right to the end, so, if you think youve got the ser.69 up to scratch, have a whirl in the others.

@ blackie, if you really arent comfortable dogfighting then just go with il2's and get some tank busting practiced, if thats what you feel is your strength, but your right, learning the basics of the airplane is best before dogfighting in it, learn the engine management, the cockpit etc etc, it all takes time, and practice, we can talk about how to fly it, but in the end your the one with the stick in your hands, so its hard to really teach, have a read of some of the guides online, chucks guides are good, and put in some serious stick time, thats the only way, there is no short cut.

it was fun last night, some good fights, and some skills shown, it was great to see such interest too, i think we will do well in the campaign, one thing id like to touch on though, is communication, some guys need to be more vocal, calling 6, calling ins and outs.....even when your on someone try and catch a glance at your wingman/men and let em know if they are clear or not, it really helps.
SYN_Repent
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Ricky » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:04 pm

SYN_Repent wrote:Cmon guys, less of the negativity, the plane set is the plane set, if you only want to fly the yak 1 ser.69 then that plane is gone after map 4 so your out of luck.......and trust me, if you think this is frustrating learning it, then be ready to be frustrated in TAW.

Sure that we don't have much choice on that. I can fly pretty much any plane in Il-2, but there's just a handful that I really have some time in. And none that I feel I really master, with maybe the exception of the Il-2 and Pe-2. I'm ready to fly in any plane, but I probably won't be very effective in a dogfight in most of them :lol:

SYN_Repent wrote:@ blackie, if you really arent comfortable dogfighting then just go with il2's and get some tank busting practiced, if thats what you feel is your strength

I also feel more at ease in ground pounding aircrafts and even level bombers, dunno if anyone is into the latter. Made quite a few sorties alone in dogfight servers, but that can be really frustrating, long flight times with very high chances to be shot down...
Last edited by SYN_Ricky on Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SYN_Ricky
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Postby SYN_MrWolf » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:07 pm

I am a dog fighter for sure. Love the art of it. I can't be bothered with the ground pounding. :grin:
ALWAYS BE YOURSELF! UNLESS YOU CAN BE BATMAN. THEN ALWAYS BE BATMAN.
SYN_MrWolf
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Repent » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:15 pm

The way the combat mission system in the campaign works though wolfie is slightly geared towards Jaboing, early on its usual to take bombs on your fighter.

so for every 3 combat mission flown (+1cm) you will get a replacement aircraft.

a 25 minute sortie = +1cm

destroying any ground target = +1cm this is why i mentioned in the other thread about taking bombs most of the time, this is the fastest way to replenish aircraft, and to actually help win the map/campaign

destroying an aircraft = +1cm

you have to land safely in order for the cm to count.
SYN_Repent
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_MrWolf » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:41 pm

Ha ha.. I won't walk away from my duty. I'll take those bombs with me. I just love to dogfight.
ALWAYS BE YOURSELF! UNLESS YOU CAN BE BATMAN. THEN ALWAYS BE BATMAN.
SYN_MrWolf
Syndicate Exec

PreviousNext

Return to IL2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad