777 and 1C do Battle of Stalingrad.

A place to discuss the new title from 777 and 1C

Moderator: SYN Exec

Re: 777 and 1C do Battle of Moscow.

Postby SYN_Vander » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:41 pm

I think MrWolf has identified some genuine concerns, but my take on this has always been very simple.There have always been two possible scenario's for the future of RoF:
1) The team takes on a new project so they can make more revenue and grow. RoF will stay alive and be maintained
2) The team dissolves because they loose interest, money or both and RoF is dead

It is simply not possible to grow much more organically, the "WW1 Flightsim" market is simply too small, even on a global level.

So I think this is a good development, but yes it probably also means fewer official updates. I guess this is the reason why Jason wants to develop a modding community so 3rd parties can work on updates that might get added later.

And YES! We are in an excellent position to host a WW2 server! Which brings up another concern: Will MP be improved or will it be the same as it is now???
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Kollwitz » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:09 pm

interesting times :)

But I do share Wolfie's concerns. However, it could very well be possible that the work being done on the eastern front finds its way back into RoF (loads of objects, improved net code, improved ai etc). Anyone fancy crossing the mud with 1000s and 1000s of machine guns pointing up?

Let's hope that we will keep getting new content for ww1, planes etc and perhaps one day the Italian Front!
SYN_Kollwitz
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Blackrat » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:11 pm

Hmmm, very interesting, may well rekindle my interest, also may well open the door for hyperlobby to provide access to ROF, you never know.
"They say that just before you die, your whole life flashes in front of you. Make sure it is worth watching."
SYN_Blackrat
Site Admin

Postby SYN_Per » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:59 pm

Epic in so many ways!
SYN_Per
Syndicate Exec

Location: Sweden, Stockholm but preferably at the cottage. In the pavillion...

Postby SYN_Flashman » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:14 pm

I think this is great news, The death of IL2 has left us without a 'modern' WW2 sim as il2:1946 is frankly looking old.

Will it harm RoF? there is only so far RoF can go as a product on its own, as Vander says the WW1 flight sim crowd is too small. However with the new IL2:BOS being based up the DN engine then things created for IL2: BOS should be able to be incorporated into RoF.

Im thinking of enhanced MP systems. WW2 needs all the vehicles and ships etc and wont have the same static element of the front line. They will need to enhance MP and the tools to make this work.

As for the flight simulation part they will need to create things such as operational trims (always bugs me this is missing from the correct RoF planes) oxygen, icing and all the other tingys that WW2 planes have. Multicrew should be fun!

I just hope they have the resources, WW2 is so much larger, the number of aircraft types and their variants is much larger and they are all much more complex.

Still, I do NOT wish to begin the doom mongering. Im sure Jason et al are fully aware of the disaster that is Cliffs of Dogshit, hell thats why we are here today. Yes he is a business man, but in RoF he has given us much of what we want. That we still all enjoy it and continue to pay for it is testament to that. Im sure they know they need to get it right.

If they do get it right this could become the WW2 flight sim for 10 years or more.
SYN_Flashman
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Postby SYN_Mike77 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:33 pm

As a mainly WWI person I am a bit worried about this but perhaps it is for the best. It is certainly better than 777 going belly up trying to provide for a niche of a niche market. I can see that improvements made will port back into RoF. Or at least we can hope. I bet RoF gets a temporary bump as more Clod guys decide to try out the new engine before the new game (which by the way is not BoM- but rather BoStalingrad!) comes out.
SYN_Mike77
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Postby SYN_Haashashin » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:38 pm

As I allways thought this was the necesary move to keep 777 alive and getting bigger, but I wont lie and say I love the period they choose, I would prefer a paficic war sim, but I guess 777 had to give their hand in some points but the fact that RoF engine is the one been used to the new sim make me think that Jason had the upper hand on the negotiations over the mergue and over how things will be done for now on...and i trully think thats great news.

As Vander and others said, the WWI crowd is too small, this is important as Jason allways stated that changes in the RoF engine couldnt be done simple cus they didnt have the resources, well now they not only has to do it but need to, and this is only benefial to RoF as its engine get developed...

People is afraid that RoF get less development, well probably its true, but it could be worse, if 777 decided to go solo on a development of the new sim for sure RoF get his development stopped. As it looks now It will be 2 teams 2 sims, probably the team working in new sim beeing bigger but at least RoF development wont stop.

And one last thing...Im just dreaming in the missions that can be done for the Battle of Stalingrad.

Edit: I allmost forgot, also is good new that Ubisoft have no rigths at all over this one...
SYN_Haashashin
Syndicate Exec

Re: 777 and 1C do Battle of Stalingrad.

Postby SYN_Flashman » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:37 pm

Dont go near the banana forums, frankly its stuffed to the gills with doom mongerers whining and making Mayan style prophecies.... and this is day one!
SYN_Flashman
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Postby SYN_Jedders » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:44 pm

...and having a good dig at me in the process. Im a dictator geek now, aparently.
SYN_Jedders
Site Admin

Postby SYN_Mars » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:52 pm

Made the mistake of making one of my infrequent visits to the banana plantation.

Sounds like 777 have picked up the assets of CLOD, with 1C keeping the Il-2 rights but not doing much in development or funding themselves. Either Jason has got lucky again as he did with ROF after stepping in as he did or he's going to cause a loss of focus on future ROF development as WW2 is where the money will be.

I like ROF but I think it is very much a curate's egg program - as most of you will have gathered by now due to my frequent whining when on comms.

I like WW2 but WWI is where my heart lies.
SYN_Mars
Syndicate Squadron pilot

PreviousNext

Return to IL2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad