Flashman does Art!

Discuss books/music/film and other such cultural oddities.

Moderator: SYN Exec

Flashman does Art!

Postby SYN_Flashman » Mon May 13, 2013 4:12 pm

Its been 23 years since I did anything artistic but here goes.... I was looking for some posters for the man cave and I came across the the Whaam picture by Roy Lichenwhatsit, this one:

http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/lic ... aam-t00897

ANyhoo for some reason I though 'That doesn't look too hard, I wonder what I could do?" This is what I came up with. Its called Mr Vickers and Mr Lewis. PLEASE CLICK ON IMAGE TO SEE FULL PICTURE. Imageshack cuts half of it off!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I took a RoF screenine then 'traced' over it using Paint.Net to create the image. No part of the original screen shot exists, i.e. I didnt just use a tool to change the look of a screenshot. I did this in super high res because If I can finish this off I might get it printed as a poster, about 1 metre wide! SO i need it high res to avoid jaggies.

Given its my first attempt at art in 23 years Im reasonable happy with it. I do have some tweaking to do and might mess with the colours slightly. Not sure if fame awaits but it make a nice desktop picture!
SYN_Flashman
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Re: Flashman does Art!

Postby SYN_Vander » Mon May 13, 2013 5:21 pm

Classic! Really love it (and the Lichtenstein as well )

By the way, I think I already have your art on my desktop for half a year or so:

Isn't that your skin? :)
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Flashman » Mon May 13, 2013 5:37 pm

Not sure if thats my skin. I did do a green S. VII but i never submitted my skins as I never got them quite finished.

Im still tinkering with the 'art' Im not sure how it would print colour wise plus I have some editting and fixing to do. When Im happy with it I might get it printed quite large, just to see what its like. If that all works out well I might try something a little more ambitious. That said, this is about 20 hours work....
SYN_Flashman
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Postby SYN_Skydance » Mon May 13, 2013 10:15 pm

Nice work Flash

My daughter did some artwork. It was like an abstract humming bird. I liked it, so I got it printed up on a t-shirt for her.
You ought to do this for your SE5A.
i7 7700k @4.2Ghz, GTX 1080Ti,16G RAM, TrackIR, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS joystick, MFG Crosswind rudder pedals, Saitec throttle quadrants/trim wheel, a custom panel, HTC Vive and an Oculus Rift.
SYN_Skydance
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Postby SYN_Flashman » Mon May 13, 2013 10:36 pm

I might get T shirt done actually. I posted this on the RoF website and someone else suggested it as well!

My priority will be to finish this one and then find a way of getting it printed very large, about 1m across. However there are some technical things to overcome first.

I also might do the companion pice as Mr Vickers and Mr Lewis need a victim (like the Whaam picture). One for the front and one for the back of a t-shirt.
SYN_Flashman
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Postby SYN_Bandy » Mon May 13, 2013 11:46 pm

Flashy, if you're coming to Duxford, why not get it printed on some T-shirts (better price in bulk order) and sell them!

It is really an 'engaging' graphic. I'd buy one or two, defo.

BUT I prefer the SE5a in RFC brown... :grin:
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Flashman » Tue May 14, 2013 7:32 am

SYN_Bandy wrote:Flashy, if you're coming to Duxford, why not get it printed on some T-shirts (better price in bulk order) and sell them!

It is really an 'engaging' graphic. I'd buy one or two, defo.

BUT I prefer the SE5a in RFC brown... :grin:

Well if people genuinely like it I could possibly do that! I had no idea what people would think as its hard to judge your own artistic endeavors. I posted it on the RoF website yesterday and whilst looking for the right forum I saw some proper artists work, both as screenies and hand drawn. Mine seems almost childish in comparison....

I intend to get it printed up as a poster once a few technical issues are sorted and I have finished it completely. Once I have a version that can be posterised I'd be happy to run a few off for other folk.
SYN_Flashman
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Postby SYN_Jedders » Tue May 14, 2013 10:31 am

Class :)
SYN_Jedders
Site Admin

Postby SYN_Bandy » Tue May 14, 2013 10:39 am

SYN_Flashman wrote:...I posted it on the RoF website yesterday and whilst looking for the right forum I saw some proper artists work, both as screenies and hand drawn. Mine seems almost childish in comparison...

And some would call my art primitive! It all depends on the feeling you're going after. You took inspiration from Roy Lichtenstein, who was mimicking comic book 'art', but on a large scale to make an impact. It doesn't make it any less expressive. Trust me.

Good on you for getting creative again, and don't let the bastards tell you any different! :cool:
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Flashman » Tue May 14, 2013 1:03 pm

Well I just ordered two T-shirts to see what these look like. Ive ordered and black and a white shirt. The bloody postage cost more than the shirts!

I used the following design for the t-shirts as they had to be 2100 x 2100 for printing. (its not that big here). I had to add banding top and bottom.

I will let you know how they look when they arrive.
SYN_Flashman
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Next

Return to Koll's Culture club