Arma campaign: Normandy

A place to discuss all thigns ARMA3

Moderator: SYN Exec

Re: Arma campaign: Normandy

Postby SYN_Vander » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:35 pm

Ay yes. Thanks for the feedback Mugue. I'll look into it. One of the things I already found is that I'm missing an airfield objective I think. Anyway. I'll probably create an entirely new WW2 campaign on a different map. In the meantime...Stratis
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Blackrat » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:16 pm

Some of these campaigns have more than one trigger for end of Campaign.
"They say that just before you die, your whole life flashes in front of you. Make sure it is worth watching."
SYN_Blackrat
Site Admin

Postby SYN_Vander » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:29 pm

Do you know where that is defined Blackrat?
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Blackrat » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:21 pm

No idea sorry.
"They say that just before you die, your whole life flashes in front of you. Make sure it is worth watching."
SYN_Blackrat
Site Admin

Postby SYN_Mugue » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:27 pm

@Vander,
Last night, Spud and I, ended the Stratis campaign prematurely. And like the other recent campaigns there were still many objectives left on the map. :|

Now I'm beginning to wonder if the problem isn't the "way" we've been playing. Lately we've going around with the "Pissed Off Meter" at 100%. My previous feeling was that they would be fighting harder at 100% on the POM.
But my new theory is, maybe that's the problem, and we should be doing all the side missions to cool the POM down. And that would prolong the campaign till all the objectives are captured.

To my mind, (knowing nothing of what's coded inside these things), it's the only difference between these last campaigns(that ended short) and the Altis US vs Rus campaign, that lasted to the very last objective...In the Altis one we did side missions.
So unless you have something new to put up, perhaps you could replay this last vanilla campaign. And I'll try my new theory out, and we'll see what happens... :?:

In RL it's good when you can end a conflict with the least amount of bloodshed and destruction.(could that be what's modeled here?) But speaking personally, diplomatic solutions make for a poor video game. Particularly when I'm not getting a big bonus score for ending it quickly. :lol:
"Billy Pilgrim has come unstuck in time."
SYN_Mugue
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Bandy » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:43 pm

Some of those big running battles where the AI just keep spawning wave after wave, and we die and die again, can be quite frustrating and becomes boring after a while.

Of course it is a matter of not having enough players for certain objectives, likely our tactics as well :???: , but have a feeling it is more than. Perhaps the 100% PoM as well???
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Vander » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:08 pm

The other difference I see is that on Stratis/Normandy there is only one " BigTown" objective and on Altis there were several?
Anyway, you may be right. Should google for it.

SYN_Mugue wrote:@Vander,
Last night, Spud and I, ended the Stratis campaign prematurely. And like the other recent campaigns there were still many objectives left on the map. :|

Now I'm beginning to wonder if the problem isn't the "way" we've been playing. Lately we've going around with the "Pissed Off Meter" at 100%. My previous feeling was that they would be fighting harder at 100% on the POM.
But my new theory is, maybe that's the problem, and we should be doing all the side missions to cool the POM down. And that would prolong the campaign till all the objectives are captured.

To my mind, (knowing nothing of what's coded inside these things), it's the only difference between these last campaigns(that ended short) and the Altis US vs Rus campaign, that lasted to the very last objective...In the Altis one we did side missions.
So unless you have something new to put up, perhaps you could replay this last vanilla campaign. And I'll try my new theory out, and we'll see what happens... :?:

In RL it's good when you can end a conflict with the least amount of bloodshed and destruction.(could that be what's modeled here?) But speaking personally, diplomatic solutions make for a poor video game. Particularly when I'm not getting a big bonus score for ending it quickly. :lol:
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Mugue » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:23 pm

"The other difference I see is that on Stratis/Normandy there is only one " BigTown" objective and on Altis there were several?"

That's kind of what got me thinking...Last night, Spud and I weren't taking on the big objectives, in fact we were just "nibbling away" around the edges taking on only small targets. Then, BAM, we won. :shock:
SYN_Mugue
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Mugue » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:27 pm

@Vander,
And again, Spud and I completed the WWII campaign... :shock: Sorry. :???: :smile:
On the plus side we did test the FOB search mission. It worked fine.

It had us searching far behind enemy lines, where we got pinned down in an epic fire fight, trapped in a castle ruin. We fought off multiple wave attacks through the night and finally broke out the next day. From some high ground we spotted the FOB, lost some good men taking that objective, then blew the whole place up! (Threat levels reduced as normal so that mechanic works) On the way back to our lines we were strafed by Stuka's and harassed by patrols. At one point Spud drove over most of a squad with the truck before being killed in the drivers seat. We then had another intense fight as they had us pinned right up against the spawn truck.(BAR in full auto mode to the rescue! :lol:) With more Germans coming out of the woodwork we beat a hasty escape to re assess our options. Checking the time we figured we could try for one more objective. So we moved on "Nieville ?sp??" Another bloody running battle, from house to house, vs many infantry and tank waves! So cool. Wish you had been there.

A couple of times during the evening play the game turned very choppy for both of us and we each in turn had to quit out and restart the game...Felt like a memory leak...but at least it didn't outright crash like before...

I think that last town we took, (Nieville or whatever), was the same town we took last time to end the campaign. Seems like there is a connection, to me...

Thanks again for putting the server up, and sorry for completing the campaign without you, AGAIN. :grin:
SYN_Mugue
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Vander » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:59 pm

Haha, yeah I noticed that the campaign had been reset. Neaville is the only " big town" on the map, so that must be a connection. I'm still not sure why the campaign ends prematurely, perhaps because the total amount of objectives is lower than the original (altis) campaign? I'll google around to see if I can find an answer. When I setup the campaign again, I'll move the start spawn point so at least we have a different perspective :)

Sounds you guys had a great adventure! I already liked our little battle when we had to retreat in a farmhouse when we were suddenly surrounded by fresh troops and enemy tanks. Luckily we found those bazookas under the queen bed!!! :lol:

About the FOB mission: Did the FOB look sort of okay? Or did it still have those huge metal towers?
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

PreviousNext

Return to ARMA3