DCS modules advice

A place to discuss DCS World P51 and the New DCS:1944

Moderator: SYN Exec

DCS modules advice

Postby SYN_Ricky » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:07 pm

Hey guys,

Finally re-installed DCS and I was thinking about getting some stuff for it. I have right now the P-51D, Bf-109K and Dora, but I barely used them as DCS ran very poorly on my old machine.

I admit that I much prefer WWII planes and combat feel in Il-2 BOX, but given that I have these planes I guess I'll get the Normandy map and WWII assets as it's in promotion as a bundle right now. I like to fly my planes in a proper environment.

But DCS has given me a new interest in modern planes and I'm wanting to get one or two, they're quite expensive and I don't have that much time to learn either. Times have changed since the Amiga where you would just lock any weapon with the "T" key and basically you were done :lol:

The two modules I'm really interested into are the F-18 and the Harrier, with the F-5E right behind. What modules are you guys playing, what do you think is the best one? I surely can't get them all right now, so I have to take a tough decision....
SYN_Ricky
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Re: DCS modules advice

Postby SYN_MrWolf » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:37 pm

Hey Ricky,

I think Mugue, Vander, Repent and me are playing DCS the most.

Besides the WWII planes we mostly fly the F18 and F5. Though we mix it up with Harrier and other planes.

I am a big fan of the F18 and it would be my suggestion. Landing the carrier is a nice challenge. We had a lot of fun with the F5 as well. Not to complicated to learn.
ALWAYS BE YOURSELF! UNLESS YOU CAN BE BATMAN. THEN ALWAYS BE BATMAN.
SYN_MrWolf
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Mugue » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:08 pm

Just to add to what Wolf said.
For jets, I believe more of us have the F-5 than any of the others.
The F-18 is defiantly packed with fun and challenges. (I might be wrong but I think only five of us have it, as of now)(you forgot Skydance, Wolfie)
The Harrier has been getting a lot of my time lately. (fewer still, have this one but, it's super fun, challenging and is so unique! Guaranteed to screw up your muscle memory for every other aircraft!)

Basically I don't think you could go wrong with any of these three.
If I were to prioritize these three for you I'd say: 1) F-18, 2) F-5, (and if you still need your STOL fix), 3) the Harrier.
If money is a factor maybe put the F-5 first. I think you can get that cheaper...w/bonus points or on sale. The others might only be full price at this point, but you'll need to check that out yourself as I don't know. Is the summer sale still going on?

DCS WWII won't ever be BoS....but Vander whips up some good missions for us to fly, so I've never regretted getting Normandy +++.

Hope to see you on the carrier deck soon. :grin:
"Billy Pilgrim has come unstuck in time."
SYN_Mugue
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Vander » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:57 am

I don’t have much to add to what Wolfie and Mugue said. Except maybe: From a mission perspective I’m now going for a 1990s scenario (Gulf War) because many planes fit in that era (Harrier, F-18, Mirage 2000, A-10C...) The F-15 and A-10A also fit; they don't have all the systems/clickable cockpit modeled but are fun nonetheless (and cheap). The F-5 and Harrier are for now the best bang for your buck, but the F-5E is not as modern as the other planes (more suited for 70's era); the Harrier will give you a lot more weapon options (but no Mach 1 capability). The F-18 will be one of the best modules with a lots of options/weapons choices, but is not cheap.

EDIT: Just looked at the website and the Harrier is not that cheap anymore. My advice was based on sale prices we had a couple weeks back! You may also opt to wait for the next sale...

EDIT: DCS WWII is definitely getting better and better, but I'm really waiting for some promised AI modules that will give us a lot more interesting coop missions: FW-190A, Bf-109G6, Ju-88, A-20, B25, C47.... The Fw190D and Bf109K we have now are a bit out of place for a Normandy map (but fun to fly!).
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

DCS modules advice

Postby SYN_Ricky » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:26 am

Thx guys for your advices !

Pulled the trigger on the Normandy Map and F/A-18C for now. That plane should already keep me busy for a while plus the WWII planes too.

Guess getting the Persian Gulf map would be a good idea too?

Will probably get others modules later on when sales are on.
SYN_Ricky
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Return to DCS World: P51 and DCS:1944