@Lt. Dan (Mig-15 mod)

A place to discuss DCS World P51 and the New DCS:1944

Moderator: SYN Exec

@Lt. Dan (Mig-15 mod)

Postby SYN_Mugue » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:54 pm

O.K. Lt. Dan,
After MUCH mucking around, hair pulling, cursing and testing. I have created some pitiful few lines of code, that will make the Mig-15's landing gear properly map-able to the "LASTE" 3way switch on the Thrustmaster Warthog throttle. "Up/Neutral/Down", just like the Mig-21 mod you gave me. :geek:

First, Make backups of the originals. And a WARNING!!! Do this at you own risk, yadda yadda yadda...And remember I don't know what I'm doing! All I know is it worked. :???:

Second, I used Notepad++ to edit these things after reading many posts over at the ED forums. Do a search for it.(it's free).
Though maybe you can use regular Windows Notepad without problems. I'm not sure.

--------------------------------------------

The install Path=(YourInstall Dir)\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha\Mods\aircraft\Mig-15bis\joystick

Add these 3 lines in the "default.LUA" at least after line 15. (I inserted mine at line 35 but I don't really know what difference it would make.)
---------------------------------------------------------------
--Alternate Landing Gear Handle, Up
{down = iCommandPlaneGearUp, up= iCommandPlaneGearUp, value_down =1.0, value_up=0.0, name = _('Alternate Landing Gear Handle, Up'), category = _('Systems')},
{down = iCommandPlaneGearDown, up= iCommandPlaneGearDown, value_down =-1.0, value_up=0.0, name = _('Alternate Landing Gear Handle, Down'), category = _('Systems')},

--------------------------------------------------------------

then add these, two groups of 3 lines, to BOTH the "Throttle-HOTAS Warthog.lua" AND the "Joystick-HOTAS Warthog.lua" below the "keyCommands = {" (line #9).

-------------------------------------------------------------

{down = iCommandPlaneGearUp, up= iCommandPlaneGearUp, value_down =1.0, value_up=0.0, name = _('Alternate Landing Gear Handle, Up'), category = _('Systems')},
{down = iCommandPlaneGearDown, up= iCommandPlaneGearDown, value_down =-1.0, value_up=0.0, name = _('Alternate Landing Gear Handle, Down'), category = _('Systems')},

{down = iCommandPlaneGearUp, name = _('Alternate Landing Gear Handle, Up'), category = _('Systems')},
{down = iCommandPlaneGearDown, name = _('Alternate Landing Gear Handle, Down'), category = _('Systems')},

----------------------------------------------
Run DCS, map your controls to the new "Alternate Landing Gear Handle,UP and DOWN" and enjoy.
Or, conversely, start swearing at me that it's, "All fucked up now!!!", and reinstall the old files.(you did back them up right?!!) :razz:

If you didn't back things up, you're still fine. Just do a "restore/repair" on the game and all will be well again.

Also remember to keep a copy of the modded files somewhere safe because they WILL be over written when ED updates the game.
"Billy Pilgrim has come unstuck in time."
SYN_Mugue
Syndicate Exec

Re: @Lt. Dan (Mig-15 mod)

Postby SYN_Karabistouille » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:53 am

This is brilliant, thank you.

Could I have the tweak to do the same with the MiG-21?
SYN_Karabistouille
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Postby SYN_Mugue » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:28 pm

Hi Kara,
Did 'my little creation' work for you?

Here's the thread over @ DCS with the Mig-21 mod. There are 2. I believe that you need the "beta" for DCS2.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=130459

I've made a few more "hacks" on that too, adding; 'Alternate Aileron Booster', 'Tactical Drop On', and 'SPO - RWR', so they can be mapped to 2way toggle switches on the TM throttle.

Unfortunately, I've failed so far from being able to link the 'Tactical Drop on/off' to the 'Tactical Drop Safety Cover'. I had wanted the safety to flip open when the 'T D' was activated, just like the 'Weapons Release Button' on the stick dose. :| So it's still necessary to mouse click the safety open...

If your interested in any of those functions I can post my additional changes for the Mig-21. (I'd just attach the file to my post and save all the copy and pasting but forum won't allow Lua files for some reason.)
SYN_Mugue
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Bandy » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:41 pm

Can't you press 'G' ???

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Lt_Dan » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:29 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: omg you went and done it I'll give it a go later and get back to you thanks
SYN_Lt_Dan
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Postby SYN_Lt_Dan » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:42 pm

Just tried it and it works thanks Mugue takeoff is no longer a three handed affair :lol: :lol: :lol:
SYN_Lt_Dan
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Postby SYN_Mugue » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:58 pm

Glad to hear it Dan!

@Bandy
Well Mister Wisenhymer, :wink:
If you're flying an F-86, then yes. We lazy capitalist pigs like to keep things simple.
If you're in a Mig, then no. Russian aircraft designers seem to like to give the pilot much busy work.
Here's the landing gear sequence just so you know.(Even though I know you don't care, I'm going to tell you anyway. :razz: )
Upon wheels up...
Rshift + G = Release Gear Lever Lock
G = Gear lever Up
Once Gear is up and locked(check the indicator lights)
Lctrl + G = Gear Lever Neutral
Rctrl + G = Engage Gear Lever lock
You now can look up to see the mountain you're about to hit.
If, on the slim chance you missed that mountain, you're going to need to RTB for some fresh pants.
Once on final...
Rshift + G = Release Gear Lever Lock
Lshift + G = Gear Lever Down
Once Gear is down and locked(check the indicator lights)
Lctrl + G = Gear Lever Neutral
Rctrl + G = Engage Gear Lever lock
At this point you've likely, a)missed your approach, b)slammed into the ground, or c) are about to have stall/spin accident. :eek: :lol:

SO, you can see why mapping those functions to the unused button and 3way toggle switch at my elbow might be appealing. I won't even get into what a PITA mapping things to a Thrustmaster control can be sometimes.
Of coarse, one could have just moused over and clicked on all that stuff. But where's the fun in THAT?(After I spent all this money on fancy controllers and button boxes)

There Bandy, are you sorry that you opened your "mouth" yet? :lol: :lol: :lol: Come join us, it's fun. No really, it is. :grin: :grin: :grin:
SYN_Mugue
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Karabistouille » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:01 pm

Yes, the MiG-15 modification worked for me.

I still have a poor understanding of the reading order of DCS configuration files (and I'm even worse regarding lua language), but I found out you can duplicate the lua files path under your Saved Games directory. Files within will be read in priority.

Here I created the C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\DCS.openalpha\Mods\aircraft\MiG-15bis\joystick directory, and I've copied the three lua files in it. Then I've changed them.

I see two benefits with that: You keep your original files away from hazardous editing, and I think those files won't be modified by DCS updates.

I'll try the MiG-21 mod now.
SYN_Karabistouille
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Postby SYN_Mugue » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:37 pm

Kara,
I suspected that it was possible(keeping things in the "User/Saved Games" files). Also it might be beneficial to use that JSGME mod enabler program for this...

If someone that knows what's what, looks at my work. I'm sure they'll find it's an inelegant solution, written by an obviously mentally stunted individual.
I just stared at those lua files till I saw a pattern and copied it like the carpenter I am. "Cut a board this long, nail it here, tie rope from that board to this...." :lol:

At first I just wanted to see if it could be done, before, trying to make a neat job of it and confusing myself with all that other file structure stuff in the process. :oops: Believe me when I say, my head was spinning with all the switch states and logic. I'm just glad it works.
SYN_Mugue
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Mugue » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:59 pm

Well Kara,
I was having some problems adding the mods in the "User\SavedGames\..."and keeping them working. So, I followed this link, http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98607, and installed JSGME for DCS. Now everything seems to work and is easily loaded/removable/replaceable. I think this is the way to go when using mods.

Give it a try and see if your problem with the Mig-21 is solved.

Cheers.
SYN_Mugue
Syndicate Exec

Next

Return to DCS World: P51 and DCS:1944