Dedicated Servers Only for new Mission Editor?

Discussion/workshop for BOS ME/FMB

Moderator: SYN Exec

Dedicated Servers Only for new Mission Editor?

Postby WWGeezer » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:00 am

Too many voices on the 777 site, thought I would post here instead.

In ROF you can create single missions and access them and within multiplayer you can launch a multiplayer mission to test it without having a dedicated server ( ie you are launching the server and flying on the same machine)

Current BOS looks like the single missions in the game are not linked to the mission folder ( I put a mission there and it does not show up) and it looks like there is no ability to launch a server without setting up a dedicated server?

"To start a server you need to be authorized on the Master serve with a game account. And since it is not possible to play and host with the same account simultaneously"

Any one poked around this just yet? Do I have to have a dedicated server to test missions?

Thanks for the help!
WWGeezer

Re: Dedicated Servers Only for new Mission Editor?

Postby SYN_Blackrat » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:37 am

Hopefully Haash can test this, but I know he could not test his missions on his own machine with the beta version only using a dserver, hope this is not the case.
"They say that just before you die, your whole life flashes in front of you. Make sure it is worth watching."
SYN_Blackrat
Site Admin

Postby SYN_Haashashin » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:32 am

Blackie is right, we couldnt test properly the missions before and it seems we still cant. All you can do is set it as a SP mission, but of course you wont be able to test all the MP logic related stuff. If I recall correct RoF was like that in the beginning, and for sure I prefer the RoF sistem.
SYN_Haashashin
Syndicate Exec

Postby WWGeezer » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:07 pm

Haash...

On Single Player Missions were you able to get those to show up in the Missions tab? At least that would allow me to learn the new mission commands? Maybe I didn't save it as the right mission type, but couldn't get it to show.

Also, since you guys are ahead of the curve on using the mission builder, any chance you could post some brief notes on some of the new elements that exist and what they do.

Any help at all would be great.

Salute
WWGeezer
WWGeezer

Postby SYN_Vander » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:54 pm

The fact that you can't test mp missions by yourself is one of the main reasons I don't make a lot of BoS missions. I also told Jason this.
About new features: I'm not sure there are any? Weather system is different in that you can't change cloud altitude. This is defined by the preset. Luckily there are now many more presets to choose from.
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Haashashin » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:14 pm

Exactly what I was going to say Vander, there isnt so many changes that I found of course I only use the resources needed to build mission ala RoF ones.
SYN_Haashashin
Syndicate Exec

Postby WWGeezer » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:40 am

Wow....that is really disappointing.

We collaborated with the Old Fokker's building ROF missions and four of us developed missions that we all used on the dedicated server. Many hours of testing on our own machines to get the complicated ones right. The Of'rs even developed a technique where they installed a second version of the game on a second drive so they could run two instances of the game at once and test instantly. You had to resave it later so the list files showed up but was a tremendous timesaver.

Any chance this will change in the future?
WWGeezer

Postby SYN_Vander » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:28 am

Well if you have a separate BoS account you could still run a dedi server on your own PC, just for testing. But it's a bit cumbersome.
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby WWGeezer » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:03 pm

Yup Yup....for now I will play around with single player missions to get used to the changes

Who are the active mission builders in BOS at Syndicate in case I want to post a few questions once I get into it?

Thanks for the help!
WWGeezer

Postby SYN_Blackrat » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:29 pm

WWGeezer wrote:Yup Yup....for now I will play around with single player missions to get used to the changes

Who are the active mission builders in BOS at Syndicate in case I want to post a few questions once I get into it?

Thanks for the help!

Hehe, the only two who had access were Vander and Haash, so you are talking to them :grin: just feel free to post in this section, Haash is active and experienced and Vander has a wealth of experience from ROF ME over many years.
"They say that just before you die, your whole life flashes in front of you. Make sure it is worth watching."
SYN_Blackrat
Site Admin

Return to IL2 Sturmovik: BOS Mission editor