Joystick-hotas binding - Is it this difficult?

A place to discuss Star Citizen

Moderator: SYN Exec

Joystick-hotas binding - Is it this difficult?

Postby SYN_Bandy » Thu May 26, 2016 6:59 pm

[GUIDE] ActionMap and Controller Mapping
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/110454/guide-actionmap-and-controller-mapping/p1
1. Create/Edit an xml file somewhere safe (not under the USER folder)
1b. You can name this file whatever you want (no spaces) and can create multiple files if you want to be able to switch between mappings
2. Customize the xml however you want for mappings (tutorial link and examples below)
2b. The CustomisationUIHeader element and definition are required for in-game GUI import
3. Save
3b. Save a copy of the file to .\Starcitizen\CitizenClient\USER\Controls\Mappings and launch the game
4. Select and import your custom rebinding via in-game settings menus.
4b. Optionally, use pp_rebindkeys to load it. This will also load options such as inversions and custom curves whereas the in-game GUI will not.

Reset
Delete the USER folder and re-launch.

Unbinding
You may need to unbind an existing action/input before binding that input to a new action unless you want both the new and previous action to both trigger on that input. This can be done via input="kb1_ " or input="js1_ " (the space is required), using defaultInput="#" depending on whether the original binding has one or two bindings. You can find full unbind XML in the XML Examples section.

Exporting
To export your current in-game rebinds to a file that you can later load, use console command 'pp_rebindkeys export [device]' where [device] is keyboard, xboxpad, or joystick. The file will be created in .\Starcitizen\CitizenClient\USER\Controls\Mappings .

Multiple Devices
The configuration import GUI allows you to select which devices to map to which devices in your custom rebinding file.
add nausem

Some players have shared their custom binding xml files, but so far no joy for MS FFB or CH, the two fekking controllers I have...
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Re: Joystick-hotas binding - Is it this fucking difficult?

Postby SYN_Bandy » Thu May 26, 2016 7:04 pm

follow on posts in tha thread...

When I use a joystick and other peripherals it takes a couple hours to get the configuration settings dialed in. Kind of like fine tuning an F1 car. lol At least I will have a little bit of time to think about how I want to set the mappings.

PLEASE tell me I'm wrong. There's 110 fekking pages in that thread, and the last one is still talking about players having to make their own XML coding for joystick mapping. Apparently there are 600+ bindings possible... :shock:

A newer thread, still some unsatisfying answers, then other posts to the extreme opposite; maybe some dweebs setting up two joysticks & rudders in 10 min...
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/320115/the-lack-of-settings-is-terrible-especially-for-joystick-mapping
Well joysticks come last around CIG. First comes mouse (so they cam make lots of money) Chris likes Gamepads (which is ridicules for PC games like this), and last consideration comes for the joystick. [the BIG GIANT HEAD] Chris Roberts is NOT a PC pilot and he does not play flight sims. They really have no idea at CIG when it comes to joysticks. Both how to use them, and how to make them.

As the others have told you there is a laborious, tedious, overcomplicated, method to joystick setup. The program is being updated. I hope they get a couple people on staff who have a clue, but I heard they are leaving it up to the noobs on staff. That indicates to me how little they consider it. We will probably get something even worse.

Also, it's not as hard as you make it out to be. Set up and mapped twin joysticks and rudder pedals in less than 10 min.

I MUST be missing something...
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Bandy » Thu May 26, 2016 7:26 pm

And no fekking TrackIR support. There was a work-around but no more...
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/303408/no-trackir-support-in-2-0

Alpha or not, this is just sick (not in the good way). I can't fly this thing.
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Mugue » Thu May 26, 2016 8:47 pm

Hm, well now. DCS doesn't look SO bad now, dose it?! :lol: :twisted:

(Sorry Bandy, I couldn't resist. :smile: )
"Billy Pilgrim has come unstuck in time."
SYN_Mugue
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Bandy » Fri May 27, 2016 2:04 am

bastard, shoulda known better...

:lol:

I suppose I should have said, "I can't fly this" with the hundreds of dollars in controllers I got. Keyboard and mouse, no problem, well it works anyways...
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Bandy » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:39 am

Just FYI, of course there are some 3rd party efforts trying to assist in the process, so may give it a try when I have the time, though only scanty instructs so far...

EDIT: Ah! there is a pdf guide in the download. There is hope, but on browsing it, well, look yourself...

https://github.com/SCToolsfactory/SCJMapper-V2/releases

Beware:

There have been pretty significant changes, removals, etc of things pertaining to controls, but I've not seen them documented. HerrMattias seems to be able to figure out quite of few of things that are missing or get broken, changed, added, or removed over the last many updates; but in the end he is also just a player who happens to run into certain things and makes note of them.

Perhaps one day CIG will make this kind of information available as well as all the CVar information they have added/removed/changed so that we have a clearer picture of what we can and cannot do and precisely what all the configuration options are; perhaps not. At this point, the only clear thing is that the in-game interface only allows a very small fraction of the configuration options that are currently available.
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Return to Star Citizen