DiRT Rally? any good?

A place to discuss all things racing

Moderator: SYN Exec

DiRT Rally? any good?

Postby SYN_Mugue » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:05 pm

As the sign says...Anyone know anything about it?(Blackie, I'm looking at you! :wink: ) The promo vid looks cute, and its got my WRX(which makes it enticing to me) I saw a u tube of somebody playing somewhere that looked alright too, but I can't tell much about performance from u tube...always a jerky -30fps @400x600...How are the flight models, damage models, FFB and graphics?

I've been running a lot of AC lately with the Subaru BRZ(toyota 86Gt) around that big twisty German track(the name escapes me now :oops: ) Which I like cause its very close to how the roads are around me, hilly, narrow, forested and twisty.(tho ours aren't paved as well :lol: ) DiRT rally might be right up my alley if it's any good.

Any info is welcome. Thanks.
"Billy Pilgrim has come unstuck in time."
SYN_Mugue
Syndicate Exec

Re: DiRT Rally? any good?

Postby SYN_Blackrat » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:08 pm

Yep, it is good, better than the other Code Master Rally games, deffo worth trying, I have it but haven't played it much as it is not really my thing and you need a handbrake to make it shine, my mate who is into his Rally sims rates it highly. It is in Beta though, but if Rally is your thing its the best after RBR.
"They say that just before you die, your whole life flashes in front of you. Make sure it is worth watching."
SYN_Blackrat
Site Admin

Postby SYN_Mugue » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:12 pm

RBR??

Hmm, hand brake you say...maybe I can rig my helicopter collective to my driving station with out too much fuss...
SYN_Mugue
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Blackrat » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:14 pm

Richard Burns Rally which is quite old but still good and is a bit like installing IL2 1946 with lots of patches and mods, not for the faint hearted.
"They say that just before you die, your whole life flashes in front of you. Make sure it is worth watching."
SYN_Blackrat
Site Admin

Postby SYN_Mugue » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:15 pm

I shall check that out also. Thanks.
SYN_Mugue
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Blackrat » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:23 pm

Just get dirt rally :wink:
SYN_Blackrat
Site Admin

Postby SYN_Mugue » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:08 pm

Blackie, that was the conclusion I came to.

Hopefully this will scratch the itch, as well as, being cheaper than the speeding tickets and car repairs if I try any of this stuff IRL. :grin:

Thanks for your help. Cheers.
SYN_Mugue
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Mugue » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:58 pm

Well...now after flailing around for a many days with DiRT Rally, things are finally looking up.
Once I got the wheel mapped right and installed my new shifter(got a Fanatec club sport-sq) to replace the one I'd shattered the inner bits of. This ones solid as brick shithouse!(all metal=Good) :cool:
And since I was shopping, and my birthday is coming up at some point :roll: , I also got a handbrake. Cause WTF, it's only money, right?(who cares if the wife will ever speak to me again) I got new toys, and that's the important thing. :wink: :lol:

Now this game is starting to shine for me! That handbrake is the bees knees, and highly recommended for this game. Without one, you'll just fly off the road at the hairpins. With it you can do all kinds of "Rockford Files" skids.(I realize none of you kids know who James Garner was, or ever saw the TV show. Just go with it, OK? It had the best theme song ever! What more do you need to know?! :razz: )

My only complaints at this point is the GUI is clunky and weird. Once I'm in game the keyboard does little and everything's mapped by default to the wheel. "Press 1 for restart, Press 2 for replay",...." How the hell do I know which button is button"2" I've 12 or 19 to choose from! None of them labeled. :lol: Hopefully they'll add keyboard and mouse control to the GUI at some point, till then I guess I'll have to cover my wheel with labels... :|

Still I give it 7 out of 10.
So, IF, you like skidding off roads and hitting rocks and trees, or just flying off a cliff. This is the game for you. :grin:
SYN_Mugue
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Blackrat » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:36 am

Rockford files was one of the best :grin:

Glad you are enjoying it, as it is designed for consoles I hope the menus are a placeholder as it is hard to navigate.
SYN_Blackrat
Site Admin

Return to Assetto corsa