Where to start for Space Noobs

A place to discuss Elite Dangerous

Moderator: SYN Exec

Where to start for Space Noobs

Postby SYN_Skydance » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:32 am

Just bought ELite: Dangerous on Steam

Downloading as we speak.

Can anyone give me any tips or hints of what I should or shouldn't be doing?

Thanks in advance
i7 7700k @4.2Ghz, GTX 1080Ti,16G RAM, TrackIR, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS joystick, MFG Crosswind rudder pedals, Saitec throttle quadrants/trim wheel, a custom panel, HTC Vive and an Oculus Rift.
SYN_Skydance
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Re: Where to start for Space Noobs

Postby SYN_Vander » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:35 am

Oh dear, where to start! :)

To have any options you need some money first. With a small ship, trading is not very profitable due to the small cargo space you have. Check under " Bulletin Board" if there are any simple missions you can do such as a simple cargo haul mission to a nearby system. These will give you some credits without too much risk. If you have some money, buy a new ship such as the Eagle or better the Viper. When you have one of these and some decent weapons you can look for a Resource Extraction Site (near a planet with rings) and start bounty hunting. If you follow some basis rules (1: don't attack very big ships such as Python/ANaconda etc, 2: Never attack a wing (multiple ships), 3: preferably wait until a security ship attacks a pirate and then join the fight when the pirate is damaged so you get the bounty) you can make some serious money. Then you can start to think about what you really want: Trading, Exploring, Bounty hunting or even mining.
Please note I'm talking about PvE here, so fighting with AI. You can also join the " Mobius" private group so then it's basically a co-op. If you play open world, it's like flying in RoF on "Flying Circus" server: everyone is trying to kill everyone, at least that's my experience. If you want to fight humans in close dogfights, it's better to try CQC, because the fights are more fair and more importantly you don't loose your money if your ship is destroyed! If you have a small ship, getting killed is not a big deal because you may loose 1000cr or so, which you can earn very quickly again. However, if I get my Python destroyed, it costs me almost 4 M cr and that is just the insurance!
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Vander » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:37 am

We (Syn flyers with ED) can help you make some money btw by flying in a 'wing'. Then you share the bounty if you destroy pirates. So just tell us where you are and I can come visit :)
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Per » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:31 am

Yepp, and get the Adder asap. It can haul and it can hold it's own in a fight. Then do some rare trade runs. That will build up some cash rather fast.
SYN_Per
Syndicate Exec

Location: Sweden, Stockholm but preferably at the cottage. In the pavillion...

Postby SYN_Skydance » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:15 pm

Ok. I'll keep an eye out to see when your are playing ED.

Thanks
i7 7700k @4.2Ghz, GTX 1080Ti,16G RAM, TrackIR, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS joystick, MFG Crosswind rudder pedals, Saitec throttle quadrants/trim wheel, a custom panel, HTC Vive and an Oculus Rift.
SYN_Skydance
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Return to Elite: Dangerous