DCG Campaign Number 1: The Battle of Midway 1942

A place to discuss the DCG Campaigns currently undertaken.

Moderator: SYN Exec

DCG Campaign Number 1: The Battle of Midway 1942

Postby SYN_Adamfp3 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:15 pm

Welcome to the first DCG Campaign.

Week 1

We will be flying as the 3rd Fighter Squadron "Felix The Cat" based of the USS Yorktown. During the Battle of Midway

Here is the briefing for the upcoming mission.

Please be on comms at least 15 Minutes before start time.

Start time will be 8:00pm GMT
It was war. We were defending our country. We had a strict code of honor: you didn't shoot down a cripple and you kept it a fair fight.

— Captain Wilfrid Reid 'Wop' May, RFC, 13 victories WWI.
SYN_Adamfp3
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Re: DCG Campaign Number 1: The Battle of Midway 1942

Postby SYN_Jedders » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:50 pm

God that was intense!...AAR to follow!
SYN_Jedders
Site Admin

Postby SYN_Vander » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:56 pm

Phew! I need a better chair for this!
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Adamfp3 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:04 pm

AAR

It was war. We were defending our country. We had a strict code of honor: you didn't shoot down a cripple and you kept it a fair fight.

SYN_Adamfp3
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Postby SYN_Adamfp3 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:07 pm

Mission 2

SYN_Adamfp3
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Postby SYN_Vander » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:20 am

AAR:
Took off from USS Yorktown as #3, leader of 2nd pair in flight A. After my long absence I quickly adapted to the Wildcat again. It took a little time to form up over our fleet, but very quickly we followed the group of dive bombing Avengers to their target.
The flight to target was pretty uneventful except for one bogey I spotted to the South of us. Flight leader Adam and Lt Dan investigated but they couldn't catch the unidentified aircraft as it dived away very rapidly.
The Avengers quickly found their target, Japanese aircraft carriers in grid AM 38, and commenced the attack. We could see all eight planes dive in and release their bombs. Although one hit was observed, no enemy ships were sunk. All Avengers survived the attack and we followed them back towards our own fleet.
During the attack, no enemy fighters were to be found, but the Japanese had no doubt informed their fighters of our raid, so we were constantly checking the skies for enemy fighters. Sure enough, after 12 minutes Japanese Zeros came in from the North West and dived on our bomber formation. We were in a good position to intercept and Flight leader Adam immediately dived onto the first Japanese fighters. I was climbing with my wing-man Lt Belmont and saw more Zero's heading for our first pair. I carefully selected my target, a white Zero, and as I dived on him it started to zoom up out of it's dive. This was a classic mistake as it was pretty easy for me to line him up in my sights. A short burst and I could see the fuel tank being hit and huge flames coming out of the fuselage. As the target was doomed we turned and looked around for other targets. I spotted another Zero close by and as Belmont was in a good position we reversed shooter and wing-man roles. Belmont went after the Zero and I followed suit. I watched as Belmont hit the Zero from close by and we could see how the enemy pilot bailed out of his crippled aircraft. More Japanese fighters came in however and Belmont quickly found himself in a difficult situation with a Zero glued to his tail. I lined up on the Zero and gave him several bursts, but was not able to destroy the fighter because he was a slippery character. Then I misjudged my turn after I zoomed up and got myself in a spin. I quickly recovered but at that time I had lost sight of Belmont. After circling I found another Zero attacking one of our Wildcats so I dived in and managed to shoot off the tail section of the Japanese aircraft. However, it turned out it was not Belmont in the Wildcat, but (I think) Lt Dan. I formed up on Dan and watched him destroy a Zero that was following Adam at low altitude.
The skies having been cleared of enemy fighters, we made our way home. First using dead-reckoning and later we were able to use the radio beacon of the USS Yorktown. When we were almost out of fuel we finally found our own fleet and landed in quick succession without incidents.

Claims: 2 Japanese Zero fighters
Witnessed 1 Japanese Zero fighter shot down by Lt Belmont.

Classic mission! What was the total duration? 1hr 45min?
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Per » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:54 pm

Exciting stuff. Must make it to next weeks mission!
SYN_Per
Syndicate Exec

Location: Sweden, Stockholm but preferably at the cottage. In the pavillion...

Postby SYN_Lt_Dan » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:02 pm

That was great but please drop tanks next mission boys that was bloody close on that home run :lol:
SYN_Lt_Dan
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Postby SYN_Blackrat » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:04 pm

Grrrrr, I am going to have to sort this out, but only if you babysit me in game, previous online experience wasn't too good for me TBH, people seemed to think I knew what I was doing, in fact I have hardly played IL2, was too busy racing, I only got the game running properly once I bought it again on Steam.
"They say that just before you die, your whole life flashes in front of you. Make sure it is worth watching."
SYN_Blackrat
Site Admin

Postby SYN_Adamfp3 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:26 pm

Mission 2 After Action Report

SYN_Adamfp3
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Next

Return to IL2 Sturmovik DCG Campaigns