Seen this yet? Lago di Garda in RoF...

A place to talk about anything to do with Rise of Flight

Moderator: SYN Exec

Seen this yet? Lago di Garda in RoF...

Postby SYN_Bandy » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:47 pm

http://riseofflight.com/forum/topic/40938-probably-pre-italian-front-map/page-2

Unfortunately, there are no peaks like Matterhorn in this region. But even present mountains will be enough for ROF's "steam-machines" to climb. If experience with this summer version map will be successful then nothing will disturb to make map in autumn colors with snow peaks

[yesssss...]
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Re: Seen this yet? Lago di Garda in RoF...

Postby SYN_Mugue » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:27 pm

Nice!

I don't want to be too picky (beggars can't be choosers) but something in that screenie feels too cartoony imho. It reminds me a lot of Il21946...the colors? maybe it's that the mountains are all angles(no roundiness) like it could use a finer land mesh?

Still it's good to see something happening with new maps. Best of luck to them.
"Billy Pilgrim has come unstuck in time."
SYN_Mugue
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_LennysCopilot » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:10 am

I agree with your post on the RoF website, Bandy -- it is nice to see some community-generated content. I hope this guy keeps it up. It looks fantastic.
SYN_LennysCopilot
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Postby SYN_Vander » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:24 am

Yes, the distant mountain tops are too "cartoony", but I'm still looking forward to this map!
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Bandy » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:40 am

SYN_Mugue wrote:I don't want to be too picky (beggars can't be choosers) but something in that screenie feels too cartoony imho. It reminds me a lot of Il21946...the colors? maybe it's that the mountains are all angles(no roundiness) like it could use a finer land mesh? ...

Not sure it will make a difference, but the image wasn't captured in game. Anyways, sounds like it will still be a while...

I feel myself not so good that I promised some time ago to show something new but didn't do it yet. It's so because work with composing of different textures needs a bit more time as I thought before. That's why here is [a] screenshot that you guys won't think that I gave this project up :)

I just notice that screenshot is from editor and terrain without masks - I mean masks are finished already but now switched off because of texturing and map looks much better in game.

I decided share this screenshot because suddenly got this sight and found it looking great. I still hope that I'll finish with textures and forests soon and then can show you how really cool map looks with different types of forests and textures of different regions.
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Mugue » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:24 pm

I didn't mean to sound negative. The colors I'm sure are dictated by the graphics settings, so it should look like I expect on my system. And I'm very excited at the prospect of have a new front to fight on.(We can see if I can speak Italian any better than French. :lol: )
"Billy Pilgrim has come unstuck in time."
SYN_Mugue
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Bandy » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:39 pm

No worries Mugue, and I agree with you and Vander that the peaks look too "sawtooth" in the image. That said the mountains/hills on western Ukraine IM map are sort of like that as well, it may be a limitation of the process to create terrain in Digital Natural engine, and why they had to put a fake 3D construct to make the cliffs on Channel Map...

Just thoughts.

From a PM with the Baron:
I want to say that main work with terrain is done. A bit polish and construct all together. At the last screenshot, almost all terrain components are disabled in order to show border betweens textures more visible. Because of that it looks not so impressive.

When I construct all together, I'll try to get for you and couple of another guys pre-access to this map. So you can check it enough deeply and criticise or advice something looking real things and concrete details of map.
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Return to Lobby